[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is analysis so much more cryptic than algebra or geometry?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: AGA.png (35KB, 796x400px) Image search: [Google]
AGA.png
35KB, 796x400px
Why is analysis so much more cryptic than algebra or geometry?
>>
>>8815780
>Why is analysis so much more cryptic than algebra or geometry?
Because it deals with limits.
Discrete mathematics is much easier to grasp.
>>
>>8815780

all of them have problems that are unsolved so fuk u
>>
>>8815789

discrete means integers, not reals
also,
> what is abstract algebra
>>
>>8815780

>>>/sqt/

>>8815789
>discrete mathematics is much easier to grasp

No, discrete mathematics is the only thing that can be grasped. You are lying to yourself when you think you understand something that is continuous.
>>
>>8815804
((2)^-2/3)'''=0
>>
>>8815780
higher up in the lightface hierarchy
>>
>>8815808
>No, discrete mathematics is the only thing that can be grasped. You are lying to yourself when you think you understand something that is continuous.
this. continuity does not exist
>>
>>8815804

http://mathoverflow.net/questions/217719/differential-equation-of-conics
>>
File: calculus-vs-analysis.jpg (48KB, 804x416px) Image search: [Google]
calculus-vs-analysis.jpg
48KB, 804x416px
>>
>>8815794
Discrete math doesn't imply anything other than it's not continuous, brainlet.
>>
>>8818155
All functions on discrete points are continuous. Didn't you learn that in day 1 topology?
>>
>>8815780
I feel like algebra is a lot more intuitive, in the sense that you actually know what you're doing when you move stuff around.

Analysis seems like it's more often more along the lines of: "Look at this crazy shit that this guy figured out is actually equivalent to this algebraic thing you're already aware of but to derive it you have to sum a trillion seemingly unrelated formulas as they all approach infinity and then divide them by this weird constant that some other guy derived" or some other equally obtuse shit.
>>
>>8818801
I think that like half of all mathematicians would agree with you, and the other half would have the opposite opinion about analysis and algebra (myself included).
There are of course diffences in the two groups, like algebraists either finding discrete math or category stuff easier, or analysists prefering geometric or functional analytic stuff.

What I unfortunately experienced is that often algebra-people just refuse to learn analysis and vice-versa.
>>
>>8819354
>What I unfortunately experienced is that often algebra-people just refuse to learn analysis and vice-versa.

this.
>>
>>8818801

Algebra is more intuitive for males since it relies on 3d spatial awareness. Female mathematicians prefer shit like analytics.
>>
>>8819441
Take that back.
>>
>>8819441
10/10 if bait, mein sides if not.
>>
>>8819441
This. A female will solve the navier-stokes problem because women are wired to perceive fluidity while males have a rigid and mechanical mindset
>>
>>8817008
i mentioned this to some friends the other day. caused visible upset.
>"fuck you muh infinite universe is real"
>>
File: 9SjQfxp[1].jpg (52KB, 600x567px) Image search: [Google]
9SjQfxp[1].jpg
52KB, 600x567px
>>8819615
Exactly, stay woke!
>>
>>8819787
>it's real
Holy fuck I'm mad
>>
>>8819808
Welcome to postmodernism.
>>
>>8819761
But that's wrong
>>
>>8819787
>males don't have blood or mucous

this is what every feminist actually believes.
>>
>>8815780
>Why is analysis so much more cryptic than algebra or geometry?
Because it is a lot more abstract, which also makes it a lot more powerful.

>>8817008
>continuity does not exist
Ultra-finitism is a bad meme.
And the success of analysis in solving important problems has clearly shown that continuous models are very well suited to model reality.

I honestly would really like to see ultranfinitists developing such powerful techniques, but I doubt that it will ever happen.
>>
>>8819787
I mean.
This has to be fake.
Right?
>>
>>8821333

Women are the biggest victims of war and illness.
>>
>>8817008
prove continuity doesn't exist
>>
>>8822697
>prove continuity doesn't exist
why don't you, instead, prove it does exist?
>>
>>8822963
ok the line y=x is continuous :^) i drew it without picking my pencil off the paper so it must be continuous
>>
>>8823024
>implying the `real world' adheres to the mathematical definition of continuous
>>
>>8823112
Raise your harm over your head.
What's not continuous about that movement?
Try even thinking about spitting out something about plank lengths or plank anything and I will cut you.
>>
File: 1479907641202.jpg (353KB, 950x1001px) Image search: [Google]
1479907641202.jpg
353KB, 950x1001px
>>8821509
It's real
>>
>>8823794
I mean.
Nah.
She's just trolling.
Hahahahahahahahaha such a troll.
Wow all of you fell for it.
Hahaha.
>>
>>8818133
only for brainlets like you #youngKekaLaMeme
>>
>>8823785
>t. brainlet
>>
>>8824889
>t. Popsci faggot who feels smart because he has a subscription to Scientific American
>>
>>8822642
if were all the same how can any one group exist?

checkmate atheists
>>
>>8815780
It's not necessarily, depending on the data different mediums for representation can highlight important patterns or characteristics, while others represent other traits that may not have as much an impact on your understanding of the data.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.