[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fair & Balanced?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1491233105331.jpg (258KB, 1148x1139px) Image search: [Google]
1491233105331.jpg
258KB, 1148x1139px
So just for shits and giggles, how many trials should be included (assume perpetual isn't an option) to truly gauge the 'fairness' of a die?

Toying with a /tg/-related experiment, but wanted to get /sci/'s opinion. Assuming all other variables are excluded, just a simple drop and result scenario.

100 is my guess, also an easy percentile conversion.
>>
Well mate you have to make a dice throwing machine to minimized randomness,then do & record about 500 results,and calculate ratio.I don't know what the diversion ratio is,depending on your definition of fair I guess.

Or use a computer program
>>
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
>>
>>8814063
Move your Islamic propaganda somewhere else.
>>
I guess for 'truth', you would need an infinite number of rolls.

But for a standard significance level and a regularly powerful test, 100 rolls is probably fine. Probably you could do with less.

http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/57624/how-many-rolls-do-i-need-to-determine-if-my-dice-are-fair

>6-sided: 52 rolls

>10-sided: 63 rolls

>20-sided: 83 rolls
>>
>>8814053
The rule of thumb I was taught for the specific statistical test you need here is that you should roll until you've seen every face of the die at least 5 times.
>>
>>8814053
Zero. Fairness of the die is a product of its construction. Gauging through trials is basically gambling and will not always produce accurate results.
>>
>>8814077
Never seen loaded dice before, champ?
>>
>>8814072
interesting read, thank you.
>>
>>8814073
interesting trick. any reasoning behind that or is 5 the arbitrary, defacto -numeral?
>>
>>8814077
I think that OP is looking for a way to determine the fairness of his die, not to prove that it is necessarily fair.
>>
SImply roll the die infinite times. By the large of law numbers the ratio
(Number of times you rolled i within the first N rolls)/N converges almost surely to the probability to roll an i. So you can check if the probabilites are right.
>>
>>8814172
what is the probability that the rolls converge inaccurately
>>
>>8814053
In addition to the power of the test (whether you want to be able to detect a biased die 95%, of the time, 99% of the time, of whatever else) it's also going to depend on how small of a bias you wish to be able to detect. An unfair die that rolls a one 80% of the time is obviously going to require far fewer rolls than an unfair die that rolls a one 18% of the time.
>>
>>8814980
>converges almost surely

this means the probability that it converges to 1/6 is 100%
>>
>>8814053
try to roll yahtzee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiTwar7mFws
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.