[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Using magnesium and folate without blood test results?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 8

File: methylation-cycle.png (72KB, 753x537px) Image search: [Google]
methylation-cycle.png
72KB, 753x537px
I went to a psychiatrist and they diagnosed me with moderate depression with psychosis. They had prescribed me Enlyte, which would seem to consist of folate and related compounds, and told me to take magnesium theronate. They told me to start taking it immediately. They had also ordered a blood test, including of folate levels and MTHFR (an enzyme involved in a pathway involving folate, apparently) mutations, although they did not order a test of magnesium levels, even though there was an option for that on the form. They would seem to be wanting me to be taking the magnesium theronate and Enlyte regardless of the blood test results. I looked it up, and it does seem that magnesium and folate deficiencies can indeed cause depression, but wouldn't it make the most sense to only get taking folate and magnesium if a blood test showed that I am deficient in them. Is my doctor a quack, or does it make sense to take them before/without the blood test results?
>>
>>8813098
*the most sense to only be taking
>>
Mineral supplements are like vitamins. You have to take way over your %rda for it to be bad. Depression is complex and I would make sure you have a good routine for sleep and a good balanced diet. Don't drink or smoke or take drugs. And get a hobby that you find fun and interesting.
>>
>>8814082
That thing "Enlyte" that he wants be to take is very expensive though and likely not covered by my insurance. It would have an adverse effect upon my pocket book, so I would only want to be taking it if it would actually work. He wants me to be taking it before we get the blood test results back, which I would think would not make much sense, so I was asking /sci/ if it would make sense.
>>
Maybe you should try getting a second opinion.
>>
Did they prescribe gf?
>>
>>8813098
>including of folate levels and MTHFR (an enzyme involved in a pathway involving folate, apparently) mutations
So, what were the results? Do you have a deficient MTHFR allele? It's rate-limiting in the folate cycle and its product, methyltetrahydrofolate, is needed for a cofactor for the rate-limiting step of monoamine synthesis. There's evidence implicating it in many cases of depression. Taking this folate derivative as a supplement is an effective treatment for such a condition.

Because MTFHR is rate-limiting, extra folic acid, say, from dietary sources, won't do you any good as long as it's not insufficient dietary folate causing your problems in the first place. Enlyte contains the derivative I'm talking about (7mg, compare with 7.5 or 15mg doses in Deplin, a pure formulation,) so it should be fine.

>wouldn't it make the most sense to only get taking folate and magnesium if a blood test showed that I am deficient in them
Yes.
>does it make sense to take them before/without the blood test results?
No.

If you don't have defective MTHFR alleles, you'd probably be better off with SSRIs or doing nitrous or subanesthetic doses of ketamine once every three months.
Note: that last part isn't a joke, there are quite a few papers and reviews on NMDA antagonists in the treatment of depression.
>>
>>8815702
>prescribed gf
>insurance doesn't cover it
>>
>>8815745
We have not gotten the blood test results back yet, they just drew the blood today.
>>
File: Felix.Argyle.full.2018910.jpg (629KB, 989x1398px) Image search: [Google]
Felix.Argyle.full.2018910.jpg
629KB, 989x1398px
>>8815702
No, and I would want a catboy bf anyway.
>>
>>8816164

engineer detected, lol.
>>
>>8816171
How did you guess?
>>
>>8816178

engineers are known for being homosexual weebs.

also,

>grill cosplaying as qt troubled asset relief program

unacceptable
>>
File: FelixArgyle-Cosplay-Trap-14.jpg (235KB, 650x433px) Image search: [Google]
FelixArgyle-Cosplay-Trap-14.jpg
235KB, 650x433px
>>8816180
Yes, I am indeed a mostly gay weeb.

Sorry, I got the images mixed up. Here is the one of a male cosplaying as Felix Argyle. It would seem that the original source had deleted their article on this, so I had to use the Internet Archive. It was missing most of the images, though.
>>
>>8816190

>male

I want to believe
>>
File: images.jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9KB, 225x225px
>>8816200
It is true:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160921001309/http://goboiano.com/list/5095-male-cosplayer-nails-the-cutest-felix-re%253Azero-cosplay-ever
http://weibo.cn/u/1168890765?jumpfrom=weibocom
>Pic related, he is the person on the left.
>>
File: 1366602777386.jpg (87KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1366602777386.jpg
87KB, 645x773px
>>8815702
>Prescribe GF
>Pharmacy doesn't carry it
>>
>>8816190
>mostly gay weeb
I think I see where you have you problems from, depressionfag.
>>
>>8816164
Genetically engineered catboys with tiny dicks when?
>>
File: CAS9-Genome-Editing.jpg (33KB, 800x700px) Image search: [Google]
CAS9-Genome-Editing.jpg
33KB, 800x700px
>>8816885
Hopefully soon, although hopefully without the tiny dicks part, and hopefully allowing for the conversion of an already adult human.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.