[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>your school >major >GPA >thoughts on the school/program

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 42

File: y.jpg (59KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
y.jpg
59KB, 500x375px
>your school
>major
>GPA
>thoughts on the school/program
>>
File: blossoms4.gif (503KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
blossoms4.gif
503KB, 1024x768px
>your school
University of Washington
>major
Computer science and mathematics double major
>GPA
>thoughts on school/program
Very pretty campus, tons of research opportunities, and our CS program is pretty good. I'm happy here
>>
>>8812796
Looks beautiful, much greener than the concrete jungle I live in
>>
>>8812785
>Wichit State
>MS Aerospace Engineering
>3.0
Most of the classes feel like stuff that should've been taught at the bachelor's level (theory of elasticity, FEM, vibrations, etc.) but it's good for making local connections. The department is growing, though, so I expect to see things improve.
>>
File: JS12SpringStock3924_hp[1].jpg (236KB, 740x384px) Image search: [Google]
JS12SpringStock3924_hp[1].jpg
236KB, 740x384px
>your school
Rutgers University
>major
Materials Science Engineering
>GPA
Tons of research and graduate program opportunities and really accomplished and extraordinary professors. Rest of the school is huge and the social scene here is great, pretty happy here.
>>
>>8812796
Very nice. I would actually want to go outside if I went to your university.
>>
>>8812802
Surprisingly, we're just north of downtown Seattle. The cherry blossoms only bloom during the spring and usually the campus is packed with tourists.
>>8812808
It's usually overcast here. The sun is starting to come out more often, though. Can't wait for May when it's more sunny than not.
>>
any TU München anons here? Thinking about going there. Is it worth it?
>>
>>8812785

>Columbia
>Computer Science (focusing in theoretical CS)
>4.2/4.0

The faculty members here are wonderful, and there's a wealth of understanding to be gained if you put the effort into your courses. One complaint is that literally every class in the department is filled with international graduate students from India who pad the bottom of the curve. You basically get an A or an A+ just for being remotely competent.
>>
>>8812831
>Surprisingly, we're just north of downtown Seattle.

That's still good, maintaining the lush greenery while still being in proximity to the city means the best of both worlds
>>
>>8812785
>your school
University of Amsterdam
>major
Physics/Maths
>GPA
good physics program, lot's of research opportunities and distinguished faculty that you can talk to and approach individually. theoretical courses are great and the government pumps a lot of money into us so top notch resources.
>>
>I'm the only Ivy in this thread

I fucking knew this place was a sack of brainlets.
>>
>>8812876
>Ivy League
your schools are overrated
>>
File: rad_cam__470.jpg (30KB, 470x353px) Image search: [Google]
rad_cam__470.jpg
30KB, 470x353px
>>8812876
burger please
>>
>>8812876
which one? If you say Cornell or UPenn you're not really that far from a brainlet.
>>
>>8812876

See here: >>8812850
>>
>>8812806
>X "STATE"

YA I'LL GET A NUMBA TWO, A LARGE CO-
>>
>>8812796
>>8812796
what is seattle and surrounding areas like?
>>
>>8812878
Eat lead, brainlet.
>>
File: 1465567690520.jpg (95KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1465567690520.jpg
95KB, 1280x720px
>>8812890
I work full time as a stress engineer, and you?

Thanks for activating my trap card btw
>>
>>8812900
good job. that's just one of my stock memes. i'm not even in school yet
>>
>>8812850
Is Rocco still teaching? Taking computational complexity with him was the shit. One of the best classes I have ever taken.
>>
>>8812907

Yeah, Rocco is teaching a special topics class this semester (basically a follow-on class to the introductory complexity course, focusing on Fourier analysis, non-uniform circuit complexity, and other things we don't cover in the original course).

Xi Chen usually teaches complexity nowadays, though.
>>
File: FELE.jpg (40KB, 433x676px) Image search: [Google]
FELE.jpg
40KB, 433x676px
Penn State University
Astrophysics

The campus/town is dank as fuck, and the program is excellent, top 3 undergrad Astro program in the country, if not the best. It's amazing to get to work with so many people who are at the forefront of their fields, it's both humbling and awesome at the same time.
>>
File: open_graph.png (12KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
open_graph.png
12KB, 360x360px
>your school
Karolinska Institutet
>major
Medicine
>GPA
It's pass fail here, so.
It's pretty good. The rankings are ridicolous, 6th worldwide in medicine is hugely inflated tho. Propably because we are responsible for the Nobel Prize in Medicine. Thinking of doing a phd while in med school.
>>
>>8812785
>your school
Cambridge.
>major
Mathematics.
>GPA
A very high first. Not completely comparable but around a 4.0.
Pretty colleges, not as hard as everyone says. In my fourth year now. Been accepted into several Ivy league phd programs, but think I might stay in Cambridge. Either that or Harvard.
>>
>>8812807

RUTGERS grad here.
>bio sci (SEBS)
>3.5
>graduated 2015

What's going on over There? Everywhere I look there is construction now. They are not wasting any time spending those Big Ten bux.
>>
>>8812876
> he actually thinks the place where you study defines your intelligence
If you are memeing, good meme. Otherwise I cry for you.
>>
>your school
University of Quebec in Montreal
>major
CS and software engineering bachelor
>GPA
>thoughts
University feels/is subpar. I miss University of Montreal, I'd studied physics there for two years but I was a dumb kid and did fuck all, got kicked out. My grades were so bad that only University of Quebec would accept me afterward. Now that I have a half-decent gpa maybe other universities would accept me again, but I'm sure they'd force me to retake some classes because of disparities regarding the structure of the program, so that might not even be worth it, and I only have one year to go.
>>
>>8813134
wot college?
Did you have to do GRE for PhD applications to the US? That's long
>>
>>8813134
Any tips as far as applications go?
>>
>>8812785
>School
UC Berkeley
>Degree
M.E. in Computer Engineering
>GPA
>Thoughts
Nice program with good faculty and decent student body. Campus atmosphere is pretty political, and I probably would've gone to Ann-Arbor but I got funding to go to this uni. Not very difficult to get a high GPA so long as you confer with your professors.
>>
>>8813263
>and I probably would've gone to Ann-Arbor
no shit. they're #1 ME
>>
>>8813263
>so long as you confer with your professors.
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>8812876
Takes a lot to listen to your SAT tutor and loaded parents!
>>
>>8812849
Am tumanon. Study CS, it's kinda awesome, but you have to learn a lot of you want to have good grades (too lazy for that haha)
>>
>>8812895
What would bring you to the Seattle area? School, work, or otherwise?

I like it here. I don't have tons of time to go places way off campus, but the times I have it's been really fun. There's a lot of really neat stuff to discover here.

Personally, I like the weather a lot. I love the rain, though I know not many people share my opinion.

As for jobs, there's always openings for tech jobs, and not just in Seattle. Bellevue has a huge tech scene and Redmond, just north of Seattle, is home to Microsoft.

What I don't like about Seattle is definitely the traffic. It is really bad here. I'm from a smaller place that doesn't have traffic anywhere near as bad as here, so it might just be me.
>>
>>8813278
it's just for moving out and school; currently looking at all of the community colleges, probably going to Everett, maybe Shoreline, Edmonds, or Pierce at Puyallup. They all seem so similar that I'm almost just looking at the areas they are around at this point. Anywhere north Seattle seems nice, I guess, where anywhere south Seattle is sort of shitty in comparison. I'd also be coming from small area.
>>
>>8813273
Go ask questions with them about assignments or the class so you get ez breezy GPA
>>
>>8813289
What do you plan on studying?

I've heard good things about Bellevue , Shoreline and Everett. I know UW actively encourages people to transfer from the surrounding colleges to here.
>>
>>8812796
hello fellow dawg
>>
>>8813299
>Bellevue
bellevue looks 10/10, just expensive and no community college
>>
>>8813299
math or physics btw. cs or engineering as back ups
>>
>>8812850
Also Columbia here

Nice gpa
>>
>>8813300
Go Huskies!

>>8813307
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure they have Bellevue College...

If you ever plan on transferring to UW, math and physics are incredibly easy to get into. CSE and any engineering major are exceptionally difficult, especially if you'd transfer.
>>
>>8813316
>Bellevue College.
it just costs too much from what i remember. i would not mind transferring into UW (provided it's not like 50k/year)
>>
File: UniversitLogotif.gif (10KB, 305x308px) Image search: [Google]
UniversitLogotif.gif
10KB, 305x308px
>>8812785
>your school
pic related
>major
mechanical engineering
>GPA
i thought this place was a meme until the name landed me an interview, and subsequently a job making 90k$

high ROI indeed.
>>
>>8813321
I'm doing a mech E masters right now. I'm shooting for a 90k/year starting salary as well. I'm currently co-oping at an automotive company but will probably get out of this industry

What industry are you working in?
>>
>>8813319
Are you out of state?
I was out of state and they offered me a lot of money, though they really don't offer a lot of people that much. For the average out of state student, it's about $24k. If you become a resident of Washington, it's about $8k a year
>>
>>8813324
i am
>If you become a resident of Washington
i'm not sure if that's worth not going to school for one year
>>
>>8813323
gas compression. mostly high purity stuff for the medical industry.
>>
File: 1490851038227.jpg (127KB, 1080x1349px) Image search: [Google]
1490851038227.jpg
127KB, 1080x1349px
>>8813330
It probably is. You could just have a job and save up money, so you'll have money saved AND you get in state rates, so it's like a double whammy. Do you really need to start school right now? Probably not, and you'd benefit greatly. Maybe get in shape and study beyond first year math and stuff too, so you'll also feel better and be way ahead of the freshmen. It's a win-win to just work for a year IMO. School isn't a race anon. As long as you aren't like 30+ in freshman year, you're no way in any trouble.
>>
>>8813337
I see. my grad research is currently being done for medical applications and this is my target industry after graduation

I feel everything the medical industry does has potential for high earnings
>>
>>8813341
I honestly wouldn't advise he wait too long because you realize as you get into your mid 20s how competitive life really is

also if you haven't accomplished something major by age 30 you're gonna want to kill yourself
>>
>>8813341
>>8813347
I'm almost 22, so waiting past this fall seems like a waste of time.
>>
>>8812785
>[Hometown] community college (soon to be hometown university)
>Spanish (soon to be linguistics)
>3.0 but going way up at the end of this semester
>My professors are mostly jokes. I can halfass and bullshit my way through most of my assignments and guess roughly what my grade's going to be. My psych professor thrives on this mythos she sells to the freshmen that she's got magical people-reading powers, and my English 2 professor thinks it's the classroom's fault if all 36 of us don't understand what he wants out of an essay. It doesn't cross his mind that maybe he explained himself badly. I've accepted that no matter how high up the ladder of academia you climb, there will be more people than not who are dumb, delusional, and/or full of shit.
>>
>>8813344
medical, semiconductors, or weapons is where all the money is at. the boys slinging silicon get worked like dogs and i don't have the stomach to build nukes.

if you don't mind the travel, the turbomachinery industry is quite lucrative and not terribly demanding in terms of hours worked.
>>
>>8812785
I go to Uni of Texas San Antonio Branch
>Physics
>3.5
its okay the department is small though, ~25 lecturers/professors for ~100-150 students
>>
>>8813358
what are your salary expectations mid career for the company you're at?
>>
>>8813364
base salary? 120k$. thats what my direct supervisor is making. the bonus structure where i'm at is pretty nice so i could clear 150k depending on performance and how the company is doing.
>>
>>8812785
>Northern Arizona University
>Math/Psych double
>3.0 (Literally have got a B in every class)
is okay
>>
>>8812785
UC Riverside
PhD Chemistry / Inorganic Materials
I like it a lot. Lots of money to do research in the UC system. campus is beautiful. Lots of well accomplished professors and good industry connections. its a shame the school is in Riverside where there is not much to do.

I synthesize and characterize novel electrochemical materials for batteries, then test the materials as complete cells. Amazingly interesting project so I couldnt love what im doing any more.

Any engineers / MSE grads / Materials chemists know what the battery industry looks like for jobs? it seems decent from what I can tell if you have a broad skillset.
>>
>>8813381
pretty good if you're just doing a 40-50 hr work week bro
>>
>>8813396
its 40-50 hours a week, but the real kick in the ass (if you are a family man i guess) is the fact that you are living in a hotel 100 days out of the year.

its why i said if you don't mind the travel.
>>
>>8812785
>Universidad de Panamá
>Mathematics
>3.75

>thoughts on the school
My thoughts on the school is that it could be better. There is clearly a lack of funding in the maintenance department here. The bathrooms look disgusting, the walls (almost) everywhere look worn out and actually ugly. But there are certain parts that look beautiful. The conference rooms and the all the administrative buildings are kept 100% clean while the rest of the place is left to rot. But it's okay, I guess. It is really cheap (Costs 20$ a semester) and I didn't come here to look at pretty walls anyways. What really matters is:

>thoughts on the program
Pretty good if you ask me. The only "bad" part is that because this country is small and not particularly developed, not all the professors are PhDs. In fact, you can be a main full time professor with just a masters degree but even then those people are also working on the side to get a PhD. And in every field there is an actual PhD who does actual talks and research so that is good enough for me. Oh, and I guess I should mention this: The professors working to get PhDs or who have them did not get them here. This university does not award doctorate degrees for mathematics. But it seems to have enough funding to pay for the students/professors they already have to go abroad and get PhDs out there. My number theory professor got his PhD in the US. I think all of them get their PhDs in the US or somewhere similar because every PhD knows english, whereas the professors who just have masters degrees do not know english that well. Because of these slight problems I used to think that I would fall behind on the education level but as a sophomore who studies completely online with material posted by US universities I am surprised to see that the level is roughly the same.
>>
>>8813403
I'm single and plan to be for the next 3 or 4 years
>>
>>8813393
If you have an MSE degree you will get a job in CA, the field is booming and will grow at a fast rate. Im a metallurgical engineer working at Boeing.
>>
>>8813422
what are starting salaries looking like out there?
>>
>>8813426
anything in CA is going to be high 70's to low 80's minimum. CoL is crazy.

I got offered 100k$ to work in Oakland at the Social Security Administration as a glorified maintenance man.
>>
>>8813298
But my professors are mean to me and they roll their eyes when I ask them questions.

>ANY QUESTIONS? ANYONE?!
>class is terrified to speak because he will ridicule them
>None at all?
>Well.....ok, how do we ____?
>Prof says something condescending than scribbles out answer while others quietly whispering thanks
>moving on
>>
>>8813429
my brother is a sales bro working in SF and makes about 130k with 5 years experience
>>
>>8813432
>But my professors are mean to me and they roll their eyes when I ask them questions.

so what? you (or at least someone) is paying for you to be there. you have to go into the class with the mindset that you are a customer and the professor is delivering a service. if i didn't ask at least one or two questions per lecture, i didn't think i was getting my money's worth.
>>
File: download (5).jpg (15KB, 251x201px) Image search: [Google]
download (5).jpg
15KB, 251x201px
>your school
Ball State University
>major
Physics
>GPA
Good physics and math department, but not well known. Lots of retards in the programs as well
>>
>>8813429
>CoL is crazy.
This is very true.
People cream themselves over the massive salaries people get in the Bay Area but they don't realize that unless you're willing to sleep in your van the rent/housing cost anywhere within 2 hours of your office is going to rape you so hard it's barely worth it
>>
>>8813469
its not even the bay area. LA is ridiculous as well. you can't even buy a manufactured home for less than 200k$.

the only places that are still semi-reasonable are way the hell out in the desert.
>>
>>8813463
>not well known
>Ranking: #176 National University (2017)
you don't say.
>>
>>8813479
Yeah lots of degenerates here, but the professors are actually competent. My physics prof got his PhD at UChicago and works at a national lab. So I'm basically guaranteed to do research with him which will be valuable experience when I want to go for my PhD.
>>
>A subset university of the University of Texas system
>Mathematics with a concentration in Science
>2.59 GPA
>I hate the department and the degree plans. The only reason I'm doing science is because the Applied Math plan was shit.
>>
>>8813299
>Everett
wtf evcc is shit
>>
Cs
>>
>>8813549
I'll elaborate

>Your school
Top 5 public school, won't say which one

>Major
CS

>GPA

>Your thoughts
My classmates are extremely privileged, mostly come from upper middle to upper class families. They all went to high schools much better than the one I attended and have an edge in receiving a better education in HS than I did. lots of overachievers. Lots of "top in class in HS" students.

Yet somehow I am doing better than majority of my classmates. I think it's because my raw intellect + work ethic evens out their better education in HS advntg. I thinks some of my classmates are insufferable with huge ego problems, most are chill and every down to earth / every day normal folks though. Professors are hardasses.
>>
>>8813567
how's life in ann arbor
>>
>>8813569
kek
>>
>>8812785
>Your school
University Of Guelph
>Major
Bio-Medical Science
>GPA
>Thoughts on School
Campus is really nice, lots of plants/greenery everywhere. Went here hoping to get a whiter school than Waterloo or UOT, but while the Asian population is significantly less, there's still a boatload of Muslims+Indians, which my program only compounds. Very good food, rated best in the country for over the past decade.
>thoughts on program
Still need to do more upper-year courses in order to get a better grasp on the quality desu. Even Sophomore year the classes are pretty large. At least in terms of Biology as opposed to Bio-med, the department seems very strong. Lot of research going on, and with the Vet's College as a faculty it's pretty high quality.
>>
>>8812785
>>your school
cant say because of doxxing
>>major
cs
>>GPA
>>thoughts on the school/program
It's a literal diploma mill. Online, but run through a brick and mortar uni. My degree will be as good as toilet paper. In Canada
>>
>>8812785
>(the) Ohio State University
>Molecular Genetics
>N/A
>don't know; transferring in soon, scheduling a tour but impressed by what I've seen so far
any former/current buckeyes that can give me the quick rundown?
>>
File: eckhart.jpg (647KB, 1024x792px) Image search: [Google]
eckhart.jpg
647KB, 1024x792px
>School
UChicago
>Major
Math
>GPA
>thoughts
Math department is good, core stuff is pretty fun, challenging but very rewarding :)
>>
>>8813577
>cant say because of doxxing

>Oh no I can't say what school i go to because anon can easily figure out exactly who I am from the tens of thousands of students enrolled there solely from the fucking name and then send niggers to come rape me.

you have to be 18 to post here, senpai.
>>
>>8812878

Harvard especially is cancerous
>>
>>8813567
>my classmates are insufferable with huge ego problems

I think you just described yourself
>>
>>8813577
ryerson
>>
>>8813505
Which subset?
>>
File: 1489357529669.png (839KB, 1188x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1489357529669.png
839KB, 1188x1080px
>your school
Cal Poly Pomona
>major
Electrical Engineering
>GPA
Already graduated and have a good job. Professors and the program are good but slowly turning to shit. School is moving to semester system and all the teachers are retiring. They are also decreasing lab classes in favor of only lecture
>>
>>8812796
Nice, I'm going there next year and planning on pursuing the same double major. Did you ever take the 13x or 23x series for math?
>>
Roseville High School
Entrepreneurialism
>>
>>8813705
at lesat you're out.

How were your job prospects looking like graduating from a CSU?
>>
Harvard
Phil
Pretty overrated to be honest. Sort of wonder if the only reason I got in is because I'm black as night.
>>
>>8813705
what field of electrical engineering?
>>
>a directional state university
>microbiology
>3.0
>pretty much every department but bio, chem, and education is an accredited one but a meme.
On a good note, all of the arts majors have a comfy detainment zone away from main campus.
>>
DCHS applied for motlow uni for my junior year
Thinking about Physics
above 3
High school is shitty in an unsupportive vindictive environment
>>
>>8813796
Think we were in an ethics course together. Darker than crunchy black
>>
>>8813769
Yes I did! I took the whole 12x series as a freshman last year. It was alright. Math 124 is pretty unfair in terms of people coming in,just because everyone's ability is wildly different. Make sure you have a strong grip on precalculus. I was out of it for a year and lost a lot of talent. My grades picked up in 125 and 126.
>>
>>8813429
So with a chemistry PhD in materials (as well as experience in materials engineering) ill probably do very well?

a recent graduate from our lab landed a 100K+ starting salary in the bay area
>>
>>8812796
very good school for CS specifically, most of the professors recognize that cs can easily become a meme degree if everyone in the degree is a "muh programmin vidya" freak so they just deny 80% of the people into the major and only let in the elite brainiac thinkers

Good that they put a focus on mathematical cs there rather than vidya cs
>>
>>8813310
>cs or engineering as back ups
nice meme
>>
>>8813833
That's good to hear. Also I've heard getting into comp sci major is pretty hard with only 30% admission rate. I'm fairly experienced with programming and data structures and was considering 143x for my first quarter cause I feel like I'd get super bored going through 142. But I'm kind of afraid of the curved grades and making any stupid error can result in a drastically lowered grade. Do you have any advice for those classes?
>>
>>8813914
Yea, I really enjoy it. It's surprising how little code I write. We do have to deny a lot of really good people too because we just don't have enough space in our program, though. We're expanding the program with another building funded primarily by Microsoft, Google, Amazon and Zillow so hopefully that helps things out.
>>
>>8813933
Advice for CS classes: if you get anything below a 3.8 (~98%), maybe retake class and be sure to 4.0 it (100%, no missing any points)

Advice for Maths, same as above but retake below a 3.6 (95% usually?) and make sure to 3.9 it
>>
>>8813933
how confident do you feel about programming? I'd say was decently familiar with programming, but I decided not to risk it and took 142.

Oh, and the CSE 14x series is NOT curved. It's only curved upwards, meaning that getting a certain % of points in the class guarantees a certain grade. For example, getting at least 90% of the points possible guarantees a 3.5. It is possible for your grade to be curved up, but that's not guaranteed.

Doing well in 143x looks really good, but if you fuck it up it's gonna look very, very bad. There's not many more programming classes open to all besides CSE 154, 160 and 131 (which aren't really hard programming classes). The CSE admissions council does look at a history of your grades. Taking CSE 142 and 143 might make you look like a stronger candidate because you show a history of good grades.

It's pretty common for everyone to fuck up their autumn quarter a little bit, so I wouldn't risk it, in my opinion. If you feel confident, go for it.
>>
>>8812796
I go here too and study maths + cs

imo one of the places to go to if you want a non-meme CS degree (alongside MIT/stanford, maybe berkeley but it's been bad recently)

The architecture on campus also feels like a traditional "universitas magistrorum et scholarium" of the High Middle Ages (or a true academy) rather than the modern memey American College Incorporated concrete jungle
>>
>>8813316
I think Bellevue college is a 4 year University now and they charge high tuition because of it.
>>
question for ivy league goers/top school students:

is it worth it as far as building friendships and connections with wealthy/potentially powerful kids?
>>
>>8813973
seems like /sci/ agrees on adding this to the non-meme-degree school? I concur on how nice it is

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/a4/84/1b/a4841b822ef40075849025517bb11468.jpg

http://cdn-image.travelandleisure.com/sites/default/files/styles/tnl_redesign_article_landing_page/public/201109-w-college-campus-university-of-washington_0.jpg?itok=8-poJsaK

http://yunitabeatrixoesman.typepad.com/.a/6a0133ed4f1aa0970b0147e28714db970b-800wi

https://gradeslam.org/blog_images/247/cover.jpg
>>
>>8813973
Yea, the Quad feels a lot more traditional but I also do enjoy the more modern buildings, like Paccar hall. I'm excited to see how CSE2 looks, if I'm still around by then.
>>
File: Denny-Hall-bldg-UW21942z.jpg (131KB, 803x506px) Image search: [Google]
Denny-Hall-bldg-UW21942z.jpg
131KB, 803x506px
>>8813987
Denny too is very nice, looks like a castle

you don't often see this European-Japanese-traditional environment on western campuses (or any college campus), but somehow UW pulls it off

I tend to forget that the quad with all the Japanese cherry blossoms is on the same campus as the modern CSE or Paccar building, or even traditional Suzzallo
>>
>>8813316
What are transfers viewed as at UW?

I'm a Senior in HS and I might go to EWU or WSU because I got a decent financial aid but UW is just so fucking highly ranked that now I'm thinking of going to UW as a transfer from a CC.

Specifically I wanted to study Physics, Statistics, or computational math. I hope it's not too hard to transfer in those fields. CS seems ridiculously filled up and too hard to get into as a transfer. Plus I only like the theoretical side of CS. I would fucking hang myself if I ended up an code monkey software "engineer".
>>
File: uni_campus.jpg (213KB, 640x540px) Image search: [Google]
uni_campus.jpg
213KB, 640x540px
>Your School
The University of Adelaide
>Major
Bachelor of Mathematical and Computer Sciences
>GPA
Like the equivalent of 3.2
>Thoughts
Pretty hard course with a lot of Pakistanis but it's alright.
>>
>>8813950
>>8813965
I've done a bit of work in C++ and dabbled in Haskell for a couple months. I looked at one of the sample finals for 143x and was able to answer almost all of the questions fairly quickly with accuracy: https://courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse143x/16au/exams/sample-final.html. So I feel like I'd be prepared for it, but I just don't know how much coursework I would have if I plan on taking Math 134 and possibly either Korean 101 or a English comp class. Is that just too much work for my first quarter if I take 143x instead of 142?
>>
>>8813577
>GPA is 2.2
Why don't you just drop out kiddo?
>>
>>8813999
I'm a CS major and I've only taken 1 "software engineering" class so far - other than that, very few of the classes actually focus on coding, most of them are maths/proofs based, some use real analysis and big boy maths, so although I would avoid CS at a regular school, I'd say aim for it here and double major in one of your other choices

physics (good here, but has a lot of cs rejects who some call brainlets),

statistics (I believe it's a top 3 program after 2017, I don't know too much about it other than it's a tight community full of people who don't want to end up majoring in math with the cs rejects),

computational math (I think UW calls it ACMS, I don't know much about it)
>>
>>8813999
>so fucking highly ranked
Shocked how it jumped from top 20 5 years ago to #9 in the world this year, I regret going to WSU because now I can't fucking transfer
>>
>>8814005
I've no idea about Math 134, so I can't help you there. You seem comfortable with the 143x material, so I'd go for it. English composition isn't bad. I took English 131, Math 125, and CSE 142 all together and did just fine.

>>8813999
Physics and Stats aren't too hard to get into, but computational math aka ACMS is. I know CSE and ACMS look for 4.0 in all of your CC classes and even that's not enough to guarantee admission.

>>8813995
Totally forgot that Denny hall has reopened. I really need to check that place out.

That's something I really like about UW: we just pull off the blend of old and new buildings so well. Well, except Padelford. Fuck that building.

>>8813980
No shit? That's crazy.

>>8813985
I'm biased, but I'd say our STEM and Medicine majors are pretty legit.
>>
>>8813161
Salut
I'm at Concordia, chemistry major. It's okay, but I feel I can go to better schools.
I want to try going to UQAM or Universite de Montreal for grad studies, but my French is horrible. How do you think an anglo would do at those universities? I think in grad studies, they'll teach in your preferred language, but I have doubts.
I don't want to go to McGill. A lot of kids there have that "We're Harvard equivalent, bow down to us!" mentality.
>>
File: ms.jpg (224KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
ms.jpg
224KB, 1200x900px
>>8812785
>your school
Murray State University
>major
Applied Mathematics with a minor in economics
>GPA
~3.2, but that's from me dropping out and flunking my last semester's classes when i dropped out of my last school
>thoughts
Nice campus town with rural surroundings, might be able to commute if i don't get jewed on housing policy. Plan on going on to be a statistician/finance fag, and if i turn out to be a complete fuckup i can always teach.
>>
>>8814023
>Padelford
Apparently, this building was designed to be a fucking labyrinth because in the 60s, they didn't want protesters to gather in the building, so they just made everyone get lost. Legend tells that some protestors are still lost in the labyrinth of Padelford
>>
>your school
St. Mary's U of MN
>major
Literature w/ Writing Emphasis
>GPA
3.something
The English program is actually pretty good, the professors know their stuff, but I now know that I can't stand literary criticism
The school's shit though
>>
>>8813584
[spoiler]P-Paul?[/spoiler]
>>
File: 1488076513169.png (774KB, 857x746px) Image search: [Google]
1488076513169.png
774KB, 857x746px
>>8813784
Pretty good. A lot of companies like to hire from Cal Poly Pomona and Cal Poly SLO because of the hands on nature of the classes. Keep you GPA above a 3.3 and have some internship experience and you will be golden.

>>8813798
Circuit Design. Planning to go back to do my masters in a few years
>>
>>8814015
>>8814023
Thanks. I didn't know acms was hard to get into. I think there was a specialty track within it that focused on statistics and it was for those wanting to study machine learning so that's why I was curious to study it.

Anyways I guess I would need a PhD to get anywhere in ml so It wouldn't really matter if I studied stats, applied math, or cs as an undergrad. Whatever one accepts me I suppose.

Also thanks for the replies
>>
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (72KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
72KB, 1280x720px
>your school
College drop ouy
>major
Never got around to picking a major before dropping out
>GPA
Was like a 2.1 or something
Hated everything about higher education

Seriously considering suicide
>>
>>8814025
I honestly couldn't tell you. Even thought I have the grades to go beyond a bachelor, I haven't looked much on how uqam's graduate school works. Feels like I'm getting too old to stay in school for another 3-5 years. You'd have to look on uqam's and udem's websites, you'll probably find the information you need regarding english tuition.

But honestly man, if I were you and that I had the opportunity to study at McGill, I wouldn't worry too much about the smug kids studying there. To me, university is about learning, not socializing. Who cares if most McGill students are insufferable fucks, as long as you aren't one yourself, and that you know you aren't one. Plus, I doubt many companies would see the name "McGill" on a CV as a negative (and if you want to do research, I'd bet McGill's chemistry research labs beat the shit of UQAM's and UdeM's)

Regardless, best of luck, whichever direction you take.
>>
Rose-Hulman institute of technology
Mechanical engineeri felt like I was going to fail out for for years, barely got enough sleep to live, currently paying off the terms of my scholarship in the US Army. Good money, not really using the degree much though.
>>
>>8814118
>Feels like I'm getting too old to stay in school for another 3-5 years.
I've been in post-secondary studies for 8 years now anon. Most kids in my classes are younger than me. I'm 26 and still working on my Bachelor but I'm still young. As long as you aren't ready to book a room in the nearest long-term care facility, you're not old.
But thanks for the help. I'll suck it up and apply for McGill next year despite the student rep. I was just curious about UQAM and UdeM just because I thought it would be an opportunity to improve my French skills.

>university is about learning, not socializing
True. I should be happy I'm even in school at all. Thanks anon. Good luck to you too.
>>
>>8814037
Nope.
>>
File: 1484793876925.jpg (80KB, 719x693px) Image search: [Google]
1484793876925.jpg
80KB, 719x693px
>>8812785
>your school
Cornell University

>major
ECE

>GPA

Thought I wasn't a brainlet before coming here. Doesn't help that it's one of the few places with no grade inflation.
>>
>>8812878
Hahaha! Trying to cope with not getting admitted to a top school by discrediting top schools. Whatever helps you sleep at night, you absolute failure.
>>
>>8812876
I'm at MIT. I look down on Ivy League schools.
>>
>>8812785
>your school
Université Pierre et Marie Curie
>major
Physics
>GPA
Something like 3.5 (grade system is not the same in France)
pretty interesting
>>
One reason people hate Ivy Leagues is because the people that get accepted to them are the most privileged in society. They come from incomes $250,000+ and attend high schools that have endowments of over $40+ million.

Stanford and the like say "free" tuition to peasants, but the schools peasants attend don't craft their students to Stanford / Ivy League level requirements. I.e. they lack all of the right ECs, SAT prep tutors.

So peasants don't take the right number of AP classes and lack the SAT scores to be admitted
>>
>>8814561
which year ? et pour toi, 3.5 c'est quoi ? j'ai du mal à me faire une idée, ici tout le monde a 4.0, mais j'ai pas l'impression que c'est le cas en France
>>
>>8814563
Boo fucking hoo life's not fair

You can move to china or india where they do everything based on tests. Just look at how great their societies are!
>>
>>8814576
>just look at how great their sciences are
Pretty decent and getting better. On contrary, america survive by syphoning brains out of everything. Also, try to operate a fuckton of people with no single language and/or national identity.
>>
>>8814573
2ème année, 3.5 c'est à peu près 17/20. La plupart des gens ont juste la moyenne
>ici
C-a-d ?
>>
>your school
University at Buffalo
>major
Chemical and Biological Engineering
>GPA
Coursework is extremely demanding, however, the spiral learning initiative instituted by the director of undergraduate studies for chemical engineering is brilliant. I have retained most of what I have learned despite my poor test taking.
>>
File: QueensLogo_colour.png (49KB, 768x584px) Image search: [Google]
QueensLogo_colour.png
49KB, 768x584px
>school
Pic related

>major
Chemical engineering

>gpa
3.9/4.3

>thoughts
It's alright I suppose. If I had more foresight I probably would have tried for waterloo. Job market is pretty shit right now, so we'll see what the next few months hold.
>>
File: 1488406541305.jpg (47KB, 536x536px) Image search: [Google]
1488406541305.jpg
47KB, 536x536px
>>8812785

>GPA

Retarded amerifats, it's easy as fuck to get a 4.0 GPA, how could anybody brag about it?
>>
File: tmp_20122-NAIT-logo-1593222715.png (30KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_20122-NAIT-logo-1593222715.png
30KB, 200x200px
>major
Information systems
>gpa
>thoughts
Good stuff but now i have to get an internship to complete my degree.
>>
>>8814708
Believe it or not, some of us dont go to a shit europoor uni and actually have to work hard for our GPAs
>>
>>8814111
hang in there buddy!
>>
>>8814813
>seriously considering suicide
>dat pick
>hang in there
>>
>>8814708
Shut the fuck up faggot. You have rich parents and don't need to worry about shit.
>>
>>8814821
Speaking of suicide, someone at my school jumped off of the 5th floor. He lived though, somehow.
>>
>Ohio State
>Electrical Engineering
>3.2

Everything your first year is a 5 credit hour weed out class so if you fuck any up you can't get accepted into your engineering major.
>>
>>8812785
>bsu
>cs
>4.0
>Not as horrible as I thought it would be.
>>
>>8812785
>your school
Hudson County Community College
>major
CS
>GPA
I want to kill myself for being a failure
>>
>>8813408

woah did you get to swim in the canal?
>>
>>8812785
TU Delft
Mathematics
8.4/10
I like it very much
>>
File: logo.png (48KB, 450x294px) Image search: [Google]
logo.png
48KB, 450x294px
>CompE, but going to switch to EE cuz I hate the thought of being a full time programmer

>~85% avg (no GPA here) and I've only completed one semester

It's ok. I'm not sure if I like ECE. Should have done a general year of engineering first. People like to say uWaterloo is a depressing place full of career oriented people and I kind of have to agree, but then again I'm a social retard so I don't know what's really out there. Should have gone to a school that values student life more because I don't want to be an autist forever.

>>8814704
If I had more foresight I would have tried for Queen's.
>>
File: images (3).jpg (2KB, 121x121px) Image search: [Google]
images (3).jpg
2KB, 121x121px
>>8814798
>actually have to work hard for our GPAs

Yeah right. Most 4.0 faggots couldn't get above 80/100 in european universities, without retarded grade curves, without homework being part of your final score.

>MFW american engineer students have to take non-engineer related classes like literature or history to get credits

>mfw american engineering programs have less than 60 classes
fuck off retard, american undergrads are brainlet tier
>>
>>8814533
how's the no grade inflation? I'm planning on matriculating to purdue for cs next year
>>
>>8815039
You'd definitely get the "student life" here. People are very relaxed and collaborative, and there's certainly a party culture if you want to partake.

Maybe the grass is always greener. I'm a bit of an autist myself, and I think maybe Queen's has made me more extroverted over the years.

Waterloo definitely has the reputation as a more rigorous and technical destination. I'd say hit up clubs and interest groups if you're looking to get out of your shell, you're still early in the game.
>>
>>8815054
>how's the no grade inflation?
Awful. We have to compete against people that come from schools were getting >3.0 GPA is child's play. Average freshman GPA here is 2.7 because of weed out classes, if you're a bit below that then affiliating with your preferred major might be difficult. The only hope is that come senior year the average GPA is around 3.2.

>I'm planning on matriculating to purdue for cs next year
Did you mean to send this to me? I don't go to purdue.
>>
>>8815063
Purdue is another school with no grade inflation, I've talked to a couple upperclassmen in engineering and they all said the average gpa was around 2.7-8 the first year, and around 3.2-3.3 by the end.

I'm still unsure how badly this affects job prospects, since in theory employers should know that they're hiring from a school with zero grade inflation, right? Purdue tries to offset it by working closely with companies (the way their job fairs are set up), but I don't know if attending purdue will get my resume trashed by employers who think you were a shit student or something

Hopefully I won't have too much trouble with my weedout classes, as it's in c programming, but I don't see many people from purdue on 4chan.
>>
>>8815075
If there's a coop program there do it. That's how I'm gonna circumvent it. We have a really streamlined process where employers come here, so they only have others in the same college to compare us to. Also good experience should outshine your GPA.
>>
>>8815049
Is this what yuropoors seriously believe?
>>
>>8814576
Explains why India and China are exceeding America then
>>
>>8815101
They aren't Pajeet. Or is it Chang?
>>
>>8815108
Nah it's US keeps poor people from non elite high schools out of ivies and top tier American schools in general despite whatever the peasant's IQ might be.

If the peasant doesn't have the pedigree then they aren't going to the best schools in America.
>>
File: University_of_Michigan_seal.svg.png (296KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
University_of_Michigan_seal.svg.png
296KB, 1200x1200px
>>8812785
>School
University of Michigan
>Major
PhD in Nuclear Physics
>Desc.
Great school with ample resources and funding, despite falling into crippling depression from sheer workload and knowing my research will ultimately be meaningless. My defense is in a month so hopefully everything will be over soon.
>>
>>8815119
Because everyone who didn't go to an Ivy league school went on to become a failure, right?

Okay, now I know you're definitely Chang. Only Changs are this obsessed with the name of their school.
>>
>>8814010
Because it was just because of a bad semester. Used to be 3.2. Padding my GPA this term.
>>
>>8815119
>If the peasant doesn't have the pedigree then they aren't going to the best schools in America

Sounds like crap. I got into a top tier school, I see tons of people who didn't go to elite high schools here.
>>
>>8815061
I have heard many good things about the student life in Queen's. I'm not sure transferring schools for that is such a wise decision. But I'd love having a more traditional "college experience". Definitely a grass is greener situation.

Of course, Queen's is still a good engineering school, but I don't know how I would be able to finance it without coop money.

I read that "Waterloo is not a great place to go but a great place to have gone," and I think it's true. Is it worth to slave away during the supposedly "best years of my life"? Idk tbqh famalam
>>
>School
Calvin College
>Major
Engineering, emphasis in electrical
>Thoughts
pretty happy here desu, lots of good peope, qts and excellent profs. Too many brainlets in engineering though
>Minor
Mathematicas
D
>>
>>8815143
doesn't invalidate the overall truth of it. Ivies tend to not be very diverse for economic status
>>
>>8814704
santiago?
>>
>>8812785
I go to UW seattle (pic related) in the secluded pacific northwest

studying CS + applied math

current classes:
cs: real analysis 2, computer architecture 2, computational theory
amath: high-performance scientific computing

ama about the school
>>
>>8815246
What are some good upper division CSE classes? I'm currently in 331 and 351 right now
>>
>>8813973
>>8812796
what is a 'non meme CS degree'
>>
>>8815311
Something non-existent.
>>
>school
None now. Went to SLCC.
>GPA
2.8 before I dropped out.
>Thoughts on school
Great campus, great education. I had terrible work ethic before I dropped out, but I've worked my ass off at my job and I'm thinking about going back this summer. I want to get my degree in audio engineering so I can get into the entertainment industry.
>>
>>8812890
What's this meme? Incoming freshman going to Florida state asking.

I was always under the impression it's always been

University of x > x state > direction x university > liberal arts college

What's so bad about x state?
>>
>>8815322
>direction x university
by direction do you mean like a cardinal point?
>>
>>8813360
I'm actually at a school located more south than you and in the math program... I was always kinda jealous that your school had a physics program.
>>
>>8815322
There isn't a single state in the union where a X State University is better than its University of X counterpart. Furthermore, schools with the word state in them don't stack up well internationally in rankings either. There are many University of X that do rank well like Berkeley, UCLA, Michigan or Washington.
>>
>>8815355
Yeah

University of Central Florida etc
>>
>>8815389
Yes, but are they really so bad that my future is fucked?
>>
>>8815246
Reminds me of Duke
>>
>>8812785
Griffith University

Mechanical Engineering

6/7 (inb4 non 4 scale GPA system)

Literal asshole, shittest uni, shove all their money into health and let's stem rot in their huge phat pile of government funding
>>
>>8815319
>audio engineering degree
Gigantic waste of money, those schools are money pits and don't get you anywhere in the industry.
>>
>>8815400
At least you will get to see some decent football games.
>>
>>8815303
take 421, 431 for sure, 451, 461, 452,

basically all of them except really 440 and 441 (hci and advanced hci)

also I'm not interested in graphics or animation so I'm not taking those
>>
>>8815311
degree where you learn the math behind cs rather than a degree where you learn how to use things cs people made (if you're learning webdev or game dev in your degree, you have a meme degree)
>>
>>8815473
I'm pretty aware of that, but It's a great way for me to know about the subject. I'm also going to build synthesizers and speakers. I'm shit at calculus so that's another reason I need to go back to school since that's super necessary with analog circuits.
>>
File: 1328674060970.gif (1016KB, 188x141px) Image search: [Google]
1328674060970.gif
1016KB, 188x141px
>your school
UCSD
>major
Bioengineering
>GPA
:)
>>
>>8815094
It's true, just look up average grades
>>
>>8815009
No. But the offices of the Canal are also a turist attraction thing and I've gone there so I've been pretty close to swimming. I've seen the ships swim through.
>>
>UT Austin
>aerospace engineering
>4.0, most likely going to drop to 3.9 and that's if I don't fuck up

The campus is beautiful, but the fact it's built on a hill makes walking around cancerous. Lot's of brainlets though, not saying that I'm not one myself but a lot of people here are tainting the university's name. The party scene is bretty gud, and there's so many people here that you are pretty much anonymous, which I like. Very liberal though, unfortunately. Considering the program, I know we're a top 10(or 11? I don't know) engineering school, but some of the classes are sketchy. For example, my differential equations class is combined with linear algebra, but the linear algebra we learn is quite limited, and what engineer only has a rudimentary understanding of L.A.? Whatever, I'm no expert.
>>
Undergrads get out REEEEEEE
>>
>>8812876
Hey I'm going here for Materials Engineering
>>
>>8815871
Meant to reply to >>8813321
>>
>>8815871
how many spongebob references has professor Thompson made in your classes?
>>
>>8813122
Joey, is that you?
>>
>>8815847
>aerospace engineering
Do you ever worry about choosing this degree? I mean, aren't the chances of you working in your field kinda low?
>>
File: 1308458w640.jpg (34KB, 640x320px) Image search: [Google]
1308458w640.jpg
34KB, 640x320px
>>8812785

>Balseiro Institute
>Nuclear engineering
>86.3/100
>Pretty cool, one of the best in the world for nuclear eng
>>
>>8815911
actually considering switching to mechanical tbqh
>>
File: 1485558809586.png (266KB, 1003x1151px) Image search: [Google]
1485558809586.png
266KB, 1003x1151px
>>8815911
>>8815934
>tfw ME that got dragged into working in aerospace
But yeah, get out. The biggest employers are all winding down on engineering for the next decade or two, and you'll have trouble getting a job outside of aerospace once you get 'typecast'
>>
>>8815400
UF eng undergrad here, I interned at a company last summer who said that the last FSU grad worth anything graduated in the 90s and all thats left is a huge party school for roch kids who are secured a job when they graduate due to family connections. UCF has even managed a better rep than FSU, if you dont fit the above criteria I suggest you run or youll be disappointed
>>
>University of Chicago (undergrad, class of 2016)
>Physics
>~2.7

Not a big fan. Very good AMT of no lifers there. Burned me out from school. Didn't do well enough for grad school and got burned out due to its insane work load. A lot of people in my major dropped it.

Good school, enjoyed my time but it deterred me from pursuing higher education and I learned nothing practical. And I couldn't go to a engineering school since ma and PA wouldn't pay for it
>>
>>8816035
>someone who has a job said it
>it must be true!

You got a lot to learn, twerp
>>
>>8816097
>And I couldn't go to a engineering school since ma and PA wouldn't pay for it

Lol i always forget america education and healthcare are privatized. Feels good being an eurogod
>>
>>8816104
O B S E S S E D
B
S
E
S
S
E
D
>>
>>8816104

You pay that over the course of the rest of your life in 50+% income tax rates
>>
>>8815850
grade my paper already, you TAs are so damn slow
>>
>>8815904
No, sorry
>>
>>8816154
Oh you're sorry? You're fucking sorry are you eh? YOU'RE FUCKING SORRY BRAH? SO LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT: you tell ME that you're NOT joey and you have THE AUDACITY to JUST fucking BRUSH IT OFF AND SAY YOU'RE FUCKING SORRY? OH I'LL MAKE YOU SORRY BRO MARK MY WORDS. fuking SORRY. good lord
>>
>>8812785

>home
>life, man
>numbers limit your thinking
>I hope my permaculture subsistence farm survived the winter
>>
File: 1460361008284.jpg (126KB, 850x960px) Image search: [Google]
1460361008284.jpg
126KB, 850x960px
Is GPA strictly an American/UK thing?

I've never heard it used or even mentioned here in South-Africa.

I'm also assuming all of these GPA's are with grades on a curve?
>>
>>8816172
Is this supposed to sound smart?
>>
>>8814534
Knowledge is still knowledge. How about putting your money where your mouth is instead of talking shit?
>>
>>8813941
im jelly of you. Our program pretty much removed math, but the balance is still 50/50 on theory and programming. It's just that the math part of theory is mostly hand-wavy as they say.

Fuck this is going to bite me in the ass later on when doing msc and beyond.
>>
>>8815389
CSU Long Beach and San Jose State shit on UCSC and UC Riverside, especially in engineering.
>>
>>8812785
>Georgia Institute of Technology
>CS
>3.0
Im pretty disillusioned about college.
The depts i'm interested in aren't really doing much interesting (Graphics / Machine Learning)
Granted our machine learning dept is pretty good.

Graphics though, extremely terrible in breadth of research. The most interesting thing is inapplicable skinning techniques that no one in their right mind would use.
Machine Learning has stuff like MIMIC based research and reinforcement learning programming languages - I believe those could be augmented.

undergrad is probably no different from any other school, ez pz
>>
>>8814124
Which MOS?
>>
>>8815812
I actually want to go there. I'm planning to go to the san diego college district CC and transfer over to UCSD to save on tuition.

What are your classmates saying about employment opportunities after taking that major?

Can you make by with just a BS or do you need a MS to get a job in the field.

I'm really interested in Neurorobotics and thought the Bioengineering program at UCSD would be a good place to start
>>
>>8815389
>X State University
>University of X
>not X Tech or your regions dedicated STEM school
>>
>small PhD program, so to disclose the school would essentially be to disclose myself and my circle of friends
>Philosophy
>3.97
>It's a shit program, albeit with a few sweetheart professors. I really want to switch to evolutionary psychology or biocultural anthropology or maybe just ecology, but the shift to STEM sounds too scary. Think about suicide every day out here, it's pretty rough man
>>
>>8815389
Penn State
>>
>>8812785
Christopher Newport University
Biochemistry
Idk, great opportunities for research experience, probably what got me into the chem PhD program at Purdue
>>
>>8812785
Princeton
Financial Engineering
I will make a lot of money. I hope I don't burn out.
>>
>>8815119
>going to be 25 a month into the fall semester
>spent 4 years at community college while working
>make <10k every year
>apply to top 10 public for geology with a 2.65 gpa
>get in???
>with a full ride, tuition fully covered?????

?????????

I think I love being poor.
>>
>your school
New York University
>major
Math / Computer Science
>GPA
Look it's not the best, and because of that its really easy to coast through. But it's definitely good enough that if you work your ass off, you can get anywhere you want. NYU has connections with Columbia, MIT, Harvard, other Uni's in the area.
>>
File: IMG_20170326_180906.jpg (2MB, 3142x4190px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170326_180906.jpg
2MB, 3142x4190px
>Cambridge
>Physics
>GPA isn't a thing here, got a low 1st and a high 2.1 and probably gonna be a 2.1 this year and I have tried my hardest
>I'm fairly miserable here but I think it's more to do with me than here
>>
>>8816933
They're all shit mate.

>>8817075
Georgia Tech is the only public "Tech" school worth anything.

>>8817090
Penn State doesn't have a public University of X counterpart. That name got swiped by Ben Franklin.
>>
>>8817901
>Georgia Tech is the only public "Tech" school worth anything

Cal Tech and Virginia Tech are both great, what are you smoking?
>>
>>8817911
Caltech is private. Virginia Tech is synonymous with school shootings.
>>
Is a math degree worth it on it's own? I'm starting uni next year and I really want to do maths but not sure what jobs there are coming out of it.

Any advice from people who are studying or studied it would be great.
>>
>>8817952
Have you already thought about a double major?
>>
>>8817917

What about Massachusetts Tech?
>>
>>8817982
I've thought about it and would probably do a postgrad degree if I needed to specialize, but I'm curious what I can get out of a plain old math major on it's own.
>>
>>8817986
If you mean MIT, then that's private too. Stop posting.
>>
>>8817901
>>8817917
>>8817991
>being this wrong
just because they pass around the "beat X state" pamphlets during freshman orientation doesn't mean you need to sperg about it on a Cantonese haberdashery symposium
>>
>>8818015
>can't give any examples to prove me wrong
>"you're just a freshman buying into your school's hype!"
Is this what all students of X State are like?
>>
>gives no examples of his own to begin with
>throw out examples others give him
>hostility towards all that reply
is this how they teach you to argue at U of X?

shameful, not even worth a single (You)
>>
>seneca college (toronto)
>civil engineering technician (2 year program)
>4.0

this is a joke. 2nd semester and we are forced to do area calculations and logs in math class. and professor makes up quizzes every fucking week so that you have to attend and listen to him solve 5 high school math problems in 2 hours. i'll transfer to a real civil engineering program so i can get a real degree.
>>
>>8818249
Why would you go to a college in Canada?
>>
>>8818275
because I live in Canada.
>>
>>8816933
No they don't.
>>
>>8818280
Are you baiting me or did you not understand my question?
>>
>>8814708
It's basically a work-ethic rating.

Colleges use it to weed for that reason, low-gpa is a red flag if you haven't demonstrated your dedication in some other way.
>>
>>8815119
This is just objectively false. Its certainly easier to get into Ivies if you are rich due to being able to afford tutoring, but that doesn't mean Ivies discriminate against socio-economic factors.
>>
>your school
Syracuse U
>major
Physics
>GPA
Fuck everything about this place. I have not one good thing to say.
>>
>>8818311
I easily had the scores to get into Cornell. I know a legacy that got in with a 1080 SAT. He was literally in remedial math in high school.
>>
>>8818287
I misunderstood. So, the emphasis in the question is at "a college".

This will be a wall of text but here it comes:

Before going to college I was going to Public Health program in Ryerson University. I wasn't even planning to go to uni back in high school, so, all my grades were fucked up and only science related program that I could get in was public health. It was a shitty program, we only had sleep-inducing lectures and only one field trip for whole year and I would just go to exams and barely pass the course. In the second year it got worse. I had no friends, known no one, had no interest in anything. I had stopped attending to the lectures completely and got F in all courses. I didn't even drop the courses because I didn't even know my program adviser or anyone to speak about my issue. I fell for university is useless anyways meme and quit it unofficially. Actually it still seems that I am a student in the university but in probation. whatevers.

I didn't do anything for a year.

Then I met my old friend back in my home country (pls no bully i m good immigrant). He was studying civil engineering. He explained me what's civil engineering about (i was kinda ignorant). Until then I had thought you would become an engineer to please your parent, not because you have an interest. I liked science, I liked applying science and using it in real life. My friend (what he said) got into my mind. Also I really like him (no homo..) he was saying stuff like we can start our own company together. just two of us, and we would be working together for our whole lives, in sickness and in health, until death apart us.. (NO HOMO!!!)

Ok. since my high school grades sucked, and my uni grades sucked too only way that I could get into something civil engineering related was to go to college. Even though I had some interest in the subject I thought I would study in college for 2 years and get employed and become an independent individual... cont'd
>>
>all these amazing universitiies
>mfw

Anyone ever heard of University of Texas at Dallas? I got into Duke but I took AES for full everything at UTD because i'm dirt poor.
>>
>>8818333
continuing . (sorry for turning this board into /soc/)
now I am interested more in the subject. Have couple friends that we 90% speak about our courses and assignments, have been on accutane and got rid of my acne so I don't have to force my self to get out of the home.

but the notion of being a technician and doing the same job every day started to haunt me. I've started to feel like I am wasting my potential. I feel like it would be shame if I don't go to uni.

That's why I've changed my program to 3 year technologist program. After completing it in this shit year some universities accept transfer to civil engineering program that you can complete in 2 years.

So I will have technologist certificate and civil engineering degree in 5 years.

And these are the reasons why I go to a college in Canada.

Sorry for writing this long personal story on this thread but I don't think I could answer this question simpler. and I need to express my thoughts and feelings somehow since I have no friends who's not overseas.
>>
>>8818328
You misunderstood my post

Being a legacy helps at Cornell, it helps more if your alumni parents are giving money/have a lot of money to give, as it does with all Ivies and most top schools.

I was saying that being a poor shitter won't decrease your chances at admission.

Also just having the scores for an Ivy never guarantees admission because they wouldn't have the ability to accept all the qualified applicants, so you need something else in addition to the standard good stuff to get in. Simply being qualified will in many cases be enough however.
>>
File: 1490240149591.jpg (198KB, 1028x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1490240149591.jpg
198KB, 1028x1500px
>>8815322
>University of Florida > Florida State > University of Central Florida
UF middle 50: 1290-1440
FSU middle 50: 1270-1400
Seems pretty true, but it's not like FSU is terrible.
>>
>>8818357
UCF middle 50: 1270–1380
http://www.admissions.ufl.edu/apply/freshman/freshmanapp
http://admissions.fsu.edu/freshman/index.cfm
https://admissions.ucf.edu/apply/prospective/
>>
>>8814647
hello fellow buffalo lad

third year EE here
>>
>>8812785
>DeVry Uni
>Gender Studies/African American Studies
>1.2
>Its great. Helps us identify our oppression
>>
Postdoc at pic related
Environmental science
>GPA doesn't matter
I like it so far
>>
>>8818344
UT is fine melo, you can do anything you want
>>
>>8812876
why would I want to go to an Ivy league school when I can go to caltech/stanford for waaaay better STEM anything
>>
>University of Texas at Austin
>Architectural Engineering
>3.3
>most amazing experience of my life

I'm a poorfag first gen college student so this is basically the best thing ever.
>>
Virginia tech
Cs + math minor
3.8 got/3.9 in
Not too hard.
>>
File: 1491638447485.png (311KB, 400x565px) Image search: [Google]
1491638447485.png
311KB, 400x565px
>Your school
Ball State University
>Your major
Biology
>Your GPA
3.7 I had a shit first year but I've made Dean's List every semester since
>Your thoughts
Great for undergrads if you know what you're doing. Get in a lab, get published, and go somewhere else for grad school. It's great learning Organic Chemistry from a professor who got his PhD from Princeton. But seriously, fuck all the ecologists and algae types in the bio department. The non-science curriculum is a joke, and the Honor's college is full of stuck up Humanities majors who are all going to earn minimum wage.
>>
>>8812785
>Sprottshaw Community College
>Gender Studies
>0.75
>Excellent school and program, no regrets from learning here.
>>
>UCR
>Mathematics
>3.6
Shitty school, just glad I got a decent offer.
>>
>>8812785
Virginia Western Community College
Computer Science
Kill me
>>
>University of Houston
>Chemistry with a minor in Physics
>3.3
It feels like I go to the University if diversitystan sometimes. I'm not one of those /pop/ purists that needs to live in a 99% white town, but it would be nice to have a sence of identity. There are a few classes I got an A in that I didn't feel like I deserved. I guess I was still smarter than everyone else in the class at least.
Also despite living in the dorms for 2 years I have never seen, heard, or heard of anyone having sex. I knew the movies exaggerated a little but Jesus Christ at least there were baseless rumors in high school
>>
Is this GPA conversion from UK system to US system stupid or am I just an idiot with my high 2.1 (UK, not US)? Or is this another case of everyone on 4chan being 2m tall 100kg 5%bf with a 12'' dick and a PhD in quantum moneylaundering when asked because most people who bother answering are the people who have it good.
>>
>>8812785
Durham University
Classics (wtf am i doing on this board kek)
I have no clue what GPA is/if the online GPA calculators are any good but its 3.8
Very pretty but somewhat isolated. Mainly a student area so quite nice to be with alike people; newcastle is nearby and is a decent night out. Good cycling routes.
>>
>Carnegie Mellon University
>Computer Science
>3.8

I'm here to basically acquaint myself with the industry as much as possible. Tons of resources to connect with employers both local and not, tons of guest lectures and technology oriented events and clubs that have basically given me another degree's worth of knowledge. I have a grasp on the cutting edge of what's going on in the tech world as well as the future. Pittsburgh is an okay city, I have a group of hardworking friends, I'm happy here but that's about the last thing on my mind--this is about my future.
>>
>>8812785
UC Berkeley
Physics
>lol
Hell yes
>>
>>8818390
hell ya muthafucka
>>
>your school
Virginia Tech
>major
Nanoscience/Physics double major, minor in entomology
>GPA
>thoughts
weather fucking sucks, almost makes me want to transfer
>>
>>8817917
one school shooting somehow makes a schools academics worse...?
>>
>>8820660
I want to say yes and make fun of you, but I got to UT Austin so I guess I don't really have room to judge.
>>
>>8820682
we are in this together.

sniping from a tower is more badass than just killing people though. you win this time.
>>
>>8820687
My favorite part is that reportedly there were lots of students returning fire with their rifles. It reminds me that I really am in Texas.
>>
>>8820701
ok you definitely win, that is amazing.
>>
>>8818333
>>8818350
Yeah my question was kinda ambiguous.

You have passion and that's worth a lot. You're ahead of a lot of people just because of that. It's good that you're improving yourself in the meantime too. But you have to work really hard because you started out in college. Engineering jobs are hard to get even if you do well in university academics wise. You need experience so make sure to try hard for internships. I have no doubt you'll succeed if you keep your eye on the prize and put your head down when the going gets tough.

And communication skills go a long way in the interviews and jobs. Judging by your writing and the fact that you're on 4chan, you should absolutely improve your communication and social skills along your journey.
>>
>North Carolina State
>engineering
>???

I'm enrolled for next year lads. How did I do? I thought it was a neat place.
>>
>>8817320
I am thinking about going here for CS, so you know anything about the demographics of that program?
>>
>>8812785
>School
Illinois state University
>Major
Dont know hopefully some form of science I like aerospace and stuff but im too brainlet for most of it, still struggling through precalculus, I like the environment and the ocean I guess, Fuck IDK
>GPA
don't know yet, plan on transferring in august have so far spent 2 years at local community college and have a 3.0 GPA barely
>thoughts?
Kill me, please just kill me. I'm never gonna get the job I want or do what I want, Im never going to make enough money, even though I'm busting my ass working part time and doing college.

fuck I just wanted to work for NASA and make people happy and interested in the world we live in but that's never going to happen. I'm probably just gonna get some degree I don't want, and end up never getting married or loved and I'm probably going to die a virgin.
>>
>>8821150
you're a fucking retard chasing brand recognition. what exactly is it that you wanted to do at NASA?
>>
>School
University of Nevada Las Vegas
>Major
Physics
>GPA

I hate every second of it to be honest. It's a shit school and I have a shit work ethic. I have no friends in the department and I don't know enough math to be in the classes I'm taking. Shit sucks.

If you come to this school go for the goddamned Hospitality program and get those sweet fucking Vegas hookups. Become a blackjack/cocaine dealer, and ride your shitty degree to way more money than anyone on the science side of campus ever will.
>>
>your school
Cal Poly Pomona
>major
Physics/Math
>GPA
Decently sized physics department. Lots of research opportunities and I hear that a lot of the professors have Caltech/JPL hookups.
>>
>>8821157
literally anything I have been working retail for 2 years now and hate it vividly. I just wanna Help get boots on Mars, I could care less about the job
>>
>>8814029
good luck pal, teaching is always a good pack up as long as you're semi-competent. I almost decided to go to Murray, and I loved the town itself
>>
>>8821119
A very very solid program, excellent campus setting, in an economic/tech hotbed in one of the fastest growing American markets. Loved my time there, make the most of it while you're enrolled anon.

Despite /sci/ only praising Berkeley/Michigan/Georgia Tech, you did good lad. Have you decided which field to pursue yet?
>>
>>8821233
I dunno which major precisely but I strongly feel mechanical/computer engineering will be what I choose.

I don't know too much about computer engineering though. I'm assuming I would be fine without any prior experience?
>>
>>8812785
Arizona State University (ASU)
Computer Science

Program is lacking in hardcore data structures and algorithms. Really good embedded systems and computer architecture classes though. Theoretical CS class is decent. "Barrett Honors College" extra projects are also real great and can be resume material if you choose to make them good enough

I ended up getting a 6 figure job at %big4% so the degree must have taught me well. But you had to do extra outside especially in data structures and algorithms to pass interviews.
>>
File: 1490224130305.jpg (52KB, 468x582px) Image search: [Google]
1490224130305.jpg
52KB, 468x582px
>>8815122
I feel ya. Super anxious for my defense even now, despite it being in 3 months.
>>
>>8812796
How's grad school here? I live in Oregon and would love to transfer to finish bachelor's, but it's way more economically viable for me to finish up in state here.
>>
>>8821280
>I'm assuming I would be fine without any prior experience?

haven't posted ITT yet but reading that it's too silly to not reply to.

You're going to school to learn this stuff. All you have to do is read things related to the subject on your own time outside of class and make sure you have your math and physics knowledge up to speed when those freshmen classes start. The more you do outside of class and the better initiative you show, the better. The smartest people I've known(they all got extremely good internships and job offers up the ass before they graduated and knew more than anyone close to their academic level) were extremely interested in the subject and it's all they could talk about. I'd see their bookshelf and it'd be filled with book after book related to the subject their interested in and they read it all on their own time on a daily basis. If you can do that out of interest, you'll be 100% fine.
>>
>your school
Stevens Institute of Technology
>major
Computer Engineering
>GPA
The school is an absolute sham. Its very much a "DIY" college, especially the CPE department
I straight up do not go to class since all my assignments are due online, including tests
You get out what you put in, and im putting in minimal effort and still pulling a 3.0
Have a nice internship lined up though cause this school has a great reputation somehow
>>
>U.S. institutions that are need-blind and meet full demonstrated need for international students
>Amherst College
>Harvard University
>Massachusetts Institute of Technology
>Princeton University
>Yale University

How hard is it to get into any of these?
I'm broke as fuck and want to study across the pond.
>>
>>8822625

incredibly, unless you are black
>>
>>8822625
harder than a pedophiles dick at a community pool
>>
>>8818344
I got that too, but I'm gonna be going to purdue next year for cs
>>
>your school
Princeton
>major
Math/Phys
>GPA
Top faculty in math, pretty much what I expected. Physics faculty is good, but underwhelming compared to math.
>>
>University of Auckland (New Zealand)
>Biomedical Science
>7.5 in NZ's system, probably ~3.75 in US system
>School's pretty good, a lot of depressed med-rejects in my course tho
>>
>>8814025
I'm finishing my undergrad in Laval university. The university is pure french but 1/4 of all grad students don't speak french. The exams they do are all in English. Everyone who does science has at least passable English.

Don't know how it is in Montreal but if people can live in Québec city without speaking French surely you can be good at UQUAM or UdeM
>>
>>8822625
Not too hard.
>>
>>8812850
>4.2

What kind of retarded grading system is that?
>>
IU

CS + minor in math

Idk but I have all Bs/B+s except for the C+ I have in stupid English Comp

The meme about CS dept discrete math courses is very true. Profs so far have been very hit or miss but I took an AP Java class in HS so it hasn't been too hard yet. The data structures class I'm taking next year I've heard is the last big weed-out class but I think I'll be able to do it since I'm good at programming.
>>
>>8822257
Depends on the department here, really. Some of the departments are underfunded , but the STEM ones are definitely the best. I know specifically for CS they waive tuition and give you quite a generous stipend and a nice office.

What do you plan on studying in grad school?
>>
>>8812785
>>your school
University of North Carolina at Greensboro

>>major
Biology

>>GPA
2.7something

>>thoughts on the school/program
Really like the school and the program is pretty good.
>>
File: UTaerial.jpg (68KB, 725x427px) Image search: [Google]
UTaerial.jpg
68KB, 725x427px
>>8812785
University of Texas at Austin
Physics (Computational Option)
It's a pretty good program, you get to hang out with some pretty top guys in the field. The school is so big that it takes a little longer for other people to learn your name but if you are smart and work hard you will be noticed.
>>
>>8823001
Hope you're taking advantage of ICES.
>>
>University of Calgary
>First year engineering (thinking of going into electrical)
>3.1
>I hate it, but if I drop out, then my dad will call me a faggot
>>
File: Untitled.png (33KB, 314x256px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
33KB, 314x256px
>>8822633
What's my chance as a spic?
>>
>>8822992
UNCG is a nice place. i did music camp there for three summers.
>>
>UT Arlington
>MS AE
>3.9
>Too many pajeets. Upside is it makes getting As stupid easy. Very few faculty (2) specialized in Dynamics/Controls

>>8815847
>>8815934
>>8815953
It's actually been kinda good for AEs in the past year or two. I've had 3 offers from major aero companies to do simulation/controls. Make close to $100k with a few years experience. That being said none of the UT guys I know have a job in aerospace. All ended up doing mechanical engineering or oil and gas. Despite UTA being significantly lower ranked getting actual aero jobs is much more likely because DFW has tons of aero companies as opposed to Austin and UTA is well connected to them, especially Lockheed. Also having a master's helps depending on what you want to do. Getting a controls job without is near impossible unless you have good research/internship experience
>>
>>8822945
graded from E to A+ instead of A
4.2 gpa is A+
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.