[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Math Manual

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Sexy-Glasses[1].jpg (54KB, 527x400px) Image search: [Google]
Sexy-Glasses[1].jpg
54KB, 527x400px
Math is usually presented sequentially.

Does a website or book exist that explains only explains every mathematical symbol and all of it's use cases in a vacuum?

As an example I could type in f(x) and just get a simple definition of f(x) and various use cases.
>>
>>8812621
Wikipedia
>>
>>8812621
wana sex this woman!!!
>>
>>8812632
Was hoping someone put it all together on 1 page.
Looking to use it as a reference.
>>
>>8812643
That would be highly redundant and silly.
>>
>>8812658
>Condensing a bunch of scattered pages all one a single easy to reference page.
>That would be highly redundant and silly.
You are right it would be extremely useful and intelligent. I guess that is why no one made it.

What a shame. I would make it if I had the time.
>>
>>8812621
Different authors use different symbols and notations in different settings. Collecting them all would be infeasible and not terribly useful. Good authors will have a table at the beginning of any major work laying out their preferences.
>>
>>8812685
>Different authors use different symbols and notations in different settings
Fucking why?
How is this allowed?

> Good authors will have a table at the beginning of any major work laying out their preferences.
And this does not strike you as something unnecessary that could be standardized?
>>
>>8812710
>Fucking why?
>How is this allowed?
Because math is ANARCHY.
>>
>>8812710
>why?
Because different situations simply call for it so that things don't get bogged down e.g. f and F standing in for the PDF and CDF in most probability texts and things like index notation in diff. geometry which would otherwise be a clusterfuck of summation symbols.

I don't do research in mathematics so I don't know how much people dislike the situation so my opinion on possible standardization is null. It seems to work for them so what can I say. And anyway the system is already pretty standardized. f, g, h are functions. n, m, l, k are integers. x, y, z are real constants. z, w complex. This gets 90% of students through their mathematics careers.
>>
>>8812710
>Fucking why?
>How is this allowed?
Because some mathematicians were trained in other countries where we note things differently.

Usually the symbols are explicit and well-defined.

>>8812670
What would be the point ?
>[math]f(x)[/math] usually denotes a function of a single variable.
And trivial things like that all around.
>>
>>8812710
Do you realize how quickly we would run out of symbols if we had to use different ones for every single idea/function/number/object? It would be insane

The sheer mountain of new symbols you would need to learn to do math with just to make that idea work is hilarious, and also why nobody does it that way,
>>
>>8812638
""""Woman""""
>>
>>8812749
>f(x) usually denotes a function of a single variable
f(x) is the value of the function f at the point x. The value of a function at a certain point is usually not a function itself.
>>
>>8812621
Yes. One is the Dictionary fo Mathematics and the other is CRC Mathematics encyclopedia.
>>
>>8812621
f(x)=0
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.