[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Most influential/impactful scientist post-Newton?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_4568.jpg (225KB, 1453x545px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4568.jpg
225KB, 1453x545px
Not the most intelligent, nor most published, solving many mathematical obscurities, etc.

Who has propelled science and mathematics in general further than anyone else? Who can we attest the most credit for our current understand of science and mathematics, considering how widely dispersed fields of study are in today's world?
>>
File: Leonhard_Euler.jpg (108KB, 461x602px) Image search: [Google]
Leonhard_Euler.jpg
108KB, 461x602px
Euler

http://www-history.mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk/Biographies/Euler.html
>>
>>8810708
this is a good answer

its a good question op, but note this is subject to change over time

some branch of maths that may seem irrelevant today could be inadvertently laying the groundwork for a paradigm shift 100 years from now.
>>
>>8810708
Euler is my favourite mathematician, but was he a scientist? Did he ever do some empirical work?
>>
>>8810729
That's sort of regardless to the question in the OP.

Meaningful conclusions drawn from empirical data can only arise if there is some language that can communicate that data as implicative of these conclusions. That statement is borderline recursive, but I'll assume you understand the point I'm trying to make.

That can come about through one of two ways, out of necessity for lack of a framework with which to translate data to meaningful conclusion, or through the use of a previously existent framework which will work for said data.

If we've been able to make many important conclusions from a specific mathematician's framework, I'd argue that they are, at some arbitrary level, responsible for those conclusions.
>>
>>8810729
I don't know if he did experiments but he did mathematical physics (physics was not separated from math then after all).
>>
easily james maxwell

newton>maxwell>einstein
>>
>>8810729
Navier-stokes for fluids are a generalisation for the euler equations with viscosity

he also did some work with solid state physics (some torque equations bear his name)
>>
>>8810705
You all know it was Darwin. Just say Darwin, and we can all go home.
>>
File: motl_16.jpg (87KB, 487x650px) Image search: [Google]
motl_16.jpg
87KB, 487x650px
>>8810705
motl

any other answer is just a meme
>>
>>8810705
For math probably Hilbert, Weyl, or Grothendieck. I'm not sure about how influential von Neumann actually was because people here mostly push his intelligence.

For physics it'll definitely be one of the pioneers of quantum in the early 20th century. My vote goes to Dirac.
>>
File: frvkrkgvrg.jpg (36KB, 460x306px) Image search: [Google]
frvkrkgvrg.jpg
36KB, 460x306px
How is this even a question? witen...
>>
>>8810705
>Who has propelled science and mathematics in general further than anyone else?

Willard Gibbs. His genius was peerless.
>>
>>8810789
He was a founder of modern Biology but according to /sci/ life sciences are not sciences because they are not solving math problems every day.
>>
Einstein

Contributed to so many fields in physics and worked with many different people.
>>
File: haberflow.gif (10KB, 394x281px) Image search: [Google]
haberflow.gif
10KB, 394x281px
>>8810705
From practical point of view, it's either John Maxwell, who unified the theorems on electric forces and magnetism, providing the bedrock for all modern invention that involves electricity or it's Fritz Haber of the Haber processes who invented the way to fixate non bioavailable N2 from air into ammonia (fertilizer) providing the path for industrial revolution on human agriculture and allowing the Earth to sustain billions of people. Back in the day you need to use animal shit and natural soil overturning for fertilizer, but these days fertilizer are so cheap because of Haber processes.

However Fritz Haber is kind of buried on the wayside because he's also a Nazi scientist
>>
>>8812591
Haber was born to a jewish family and left germany after hitler's rise to power. He's hated because of his involvement in germany's chemical weapons program during the FIRST world war.
>>
>>8812599
Oh yeah sorry I take it back, I remembered incorrectly.

However he's still the inventor of chemical weapons
>>
Faraday
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.