[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does time dilation work

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

How does time dilation work
>>
It directly follows from the fact that the speed of light is measured the same in all inertial reference frames, which requires that observers in frames going at different speeds must measure time intervals as different to compensate for this.

Everything follows mathematically from the speed of light being invariant.
>>
>>8810433
But your cells will age exactly the same way. So how is it possible that when you return from your, say, .5c 10yr trip, your cells have aged less than the cells of those who have stayed on earth?
>>
>>8810446
Sorry I thought you just meant time dilation in general. The twin paradox is a bit complicated for me, even in my last year of my undergraduate, I've always been terrible at relativity lol

I think that because the proper time along the geodesic is maximised for the twin on Earth who is inertial relative to the travelling twin, although I'm not too sure
>>
>>8810422
don't know, go read a book
>>
>>8810446
your thoughts are backwards, your cells have aged 10 years but cells outside the ship have aged more
>>
>>8810446
To the non-traveler, your cells are aging slower. To you, the non-traveler's cells are aging faster.
>>
>>8811090
Absolute genius right here. His question is why time is different.
>>
>>8810422
dume frogeposter
>>
File: lor5n.gif (2KB, 306x176px) Image search: [Google]
lor5n.gif
2KB, 306x176px
>>8810422

The faster you go, the slower is the time
>>
>>8812105

Because nothing in our reality is infinite.
>>
honestly the last chapter of griffiths electrodynamics presents probably the most intuitive approach to special relativity I've ever bumped into.
>>
>>8812105
Because nothing can go faster than the speed of light. Your subatomic particles are jiggling around at light speed, so if they are traveling fast, they must appear to jiggle slower. Thus all physical mechanisms happen slower.

Very simplified, but basically that.
>>
>>8812315
Thank you, first answer that's starting to make sense.
Do you have any references or could you expand on that?
>>
File: X on SCI.png (31KB, 694x968px) Image search: [Google]
X on SCI.png
31KB, 694x968px
>>8810422
It doesn't. Time doesn't exist.
>>
Large amounts of oxytocin are released from black holes, causing contractions and dilations of time to ensure maximum fertility of creativity in the universe
>>
>>8812324
Here is the section on Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation#Simple_inference_of_time_dilation_due_to_relative_velocity
The photon clock is a very popular thought experiment to understand time dilation. You can look that up and read about it anywhere.
>>
The twin paradox is resolved by relativistic doppler shift
>>
A lot of bullshit in this thread. It has nothing to do with "reference frames." Speed increases mass, which literally warps space time. You could theoretically travel thousands of years in the future rather quickly if you had a fast enough ship.
>>
>>8812624
Speed does not exist indipendently from reference frame...
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.