[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

if yes, then can religion and /sci/ also coexist? I like science,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: chrome_2017-04-06_20-16-27.png (285KB, 473x310px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2017-04-06_20-16-27.png
285KB, 473x310px
if yes, then can religion and /sci/ also coexist? I like science, but I also like maths, u mad? <3
>>
>I like science and math
fuck you, I love science and hate math. That is why I studied psychology.

kek.
>>
>>8809776
Of course but /sci/ and skepticism can never coexist.
>>
>>8809776
Don't be fooled, religion coexisting with anything approaching reason is a religion not taken far and not taken seriously. There is no such thing as a fundie who is right in the head.
>>
>>8810005
>>8809776
Depends on what kind of 'religion' you're talking about.

Religion in general is an almost meaningless term unless you're just talking about the Abrahamic religions. Is it any organized system of belief? Anything that entails the existence of various forms of 'god'? Is a practitioner of the religion required to believe all of it as a literal hypothesis, or as a symbolic framework in which one learns insight and how to be a 'good human'? Look at religions in other parts of the world. Buddhism doesn't necessarily entail any supernatural entities at all (outside of 'folk' buddhism). Is it still a religion? What about Taoism, which doesn't necessarily have a god but has a belief in a soul? If religion doesn't strictly require a 'god', could it be argued that political ideologies are also 'religion'?

get specific. As a hypothesis, Deism is potentially philosophically valid, but doesn't have experimental evidence. Then again, a Deity also can't be experimentally ruled out. Belief in a Deity wouldn't be scientific, but then again, believing that one couldn't exist is also unscientific. Its just entirely outside its realm.

Then, are you going to define religion as a literal belief in a particular myth? Then its absolutely incompatible. Then you have falsifiable statements that can be scientifically evaluated.

Are you going to look at religion as a set of symbols, through which you gain insight? Then you're fine. While you could argue that as a wisdom tradition, it could be described in clearer terms and distilled, if you're not using it to make statements about the observable world, and to instead explore yourself, then it doesn't conflict.
>>
>>8809776
religion is anti-science so no.
>>
>>8810076
[citation needed]
>>
>>8810149
walking on water
rising from the dead
>>
>>8810157

It either happened or it didn't. There's nothing for science to say in matter.
>>
sure but science and classical liberalism cannot coexist, for a scientific mindset eschews ideology.
>>
>>8810157
Pulling carbohydrates/aminoacids from thin air.
Fermenting grapejuice with neither fermentation nor grapejuice.
Son of a virgin.
Born white in the middle east.

I don't know, Scott, this Jesus, man, seems pretty real to me.
>>
>>8809781
>psychology
>science
>>
>>8810166
>Born white in the middle east.

That was Muhammad.
>>
>>8810227
Jesus was also from the Middle East
>>
>>8810321

But he wasn't white.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.