[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to fuck a prime number

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: tfw.jpg (24KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
tfw.jpg
24KB, 300x300px
>tfw just finished my number theory homework and it was fun as fuck, I was listening to music and smiling the whole time
>tfw have no homework left to do now. Did it all, and this work is for next week.
>tfw could just keep doing number theory problems from my books but while this would be enough pleasure in any other day, today I am already high from the pleasure of knowing that my professor will have to read my clever solutions so now doing problems that only I will know about does not feel satisfying enough.
>could masturbate but sexual pleasure is not even close to number theoretical pleasure, specially right away. I will have to wait at least an hour for my high to go off and to be able to have a non-mathematical boner.
>tfw all I can do now is shitpost, not because it is pleasurable, but because it is the default action I do whenever I have nothing else to do

Anyone else know this feel? It hurts inside. What should I even do now? Why is homework at the university level so fucking addictive, specially number theory problems?
>>
>>8809333

If this is true, you might actually be autistic. Do you really enjoy rote practice more than pushing the boundaries of your knowledge? Try expanding your horizons a bit: try to come up with a problem in number theory that others haven't thought about, and then attempt to solve that.

Or, even better, spend some time trying to solve problems that we know about but don't already know how to solve. You could give the Collatz conjecture a go, for instance.
>>
>>8809365
>try to come up with a problem in number theory that others haven't thought about

Chill the fuck out, I have 2 more years before I have to write a thesis. Coming up with a babby problem today that some russian probably thought about 150 years ago is pointless. Time is better used rising to the highest level.

>Do you really enjoy rote practice more than pushing the boundaries of your knowledge?
There is no nothing rote about writing proofs.

>spend some time trying to solve problems that we know about but don't already know how to solve. You could give the Collatz conjecture a go, for instance.

HA
HA
HA

I have given the Collatz conjecture and Goldbach conjecture many tries. Specially way back when I was a freshman. Now I am smart enough to know that elementary proofs are not here yet and if I want a chance I need to become a number theory god.
>>
>>8809393
I agree with you, you're just doing this shit for fun. How do you do it for fun though? Due to traumatizing effects of math(getting real stressed over it in the past) I got a hatred of math. So how do you enjoy it so well to the point you get a boner and want to fuck a prime number.
>>
>>8809393

You don't think the people discovering and working on new problems in number theory aren't at the highest level?
>>
>>8809523
>How do you do it for fun though?

When you pick up the tempo and can see the beauty behind a statement, it becomes interesting to figure out why something is true.

My best example, from the most beautiful theorem that has ever been proven: The Prime Number Theorem.

The context is this: We have known and studied prime numbers for thousands for years and all along we thought that prime numbers were completely random. The way they are distributed is completely random. No pattern at all, just white noise.

And then this was found:
The prime counting function (a function that if you plug in x, returns how many primes smaller than or equal to x exist) is approximately equal to [math] \frac{x}{ln(x)} [/math].

There are two questions here you should ask:
1) Why the fuck? Why does the natural logarithm even appear in a result about prime numbers?

2) How was this even confirmed? What exact feature do the primes have that implies this specific growth?

After you understand the beauty of mathematics, you see every new thing you learn as a step in an infinite ladder that the more you climb, the closer you are to understanding the deepest results we currently know about, and being able to find new results.

>>8809524
>You don't think the people discovering and working on new problems in number theory aren't at the highest level?

They are at the highest level. That is why I read their books instead of pointlessly trying to come up with petty problems that someone already came up with.
>>
>>8809543
You come off as a little conceded and full of yourself. Also there's nothing wrong with independently discovering an already known result nor with coming up with a new proof of something.
>>
>>8809543
I suppose it would be like piecing together things one by one, not really expecting the pieces to fit together as a whole, and somehow, you realize they do. The feeling can be mimicked in a lot of puzzles, and it's really about acknowledging the cleverness of the design.

So there are different reasons why people enjoy solving puzzles. One might be it is an alternate means of communication between the designer and the solver. Another is so the solver can show off how clever he is and the result of his hard work.

If you look at washed-up Disney stars, you can see why an addiction to admiration and praise is bad. But as long as the praise is used as an incentive for you to grow and contribute to society, I don't see the harm.

So I think the conclusion is this - your reward for doing more number theory problems is the chance to get into the cutting-edge number theory research sooner than you normally would. The sooner you do that, the sooner you can actually contribute to society and be worthy of real praise.
>>
>>8809571
>conceded

what did he concede?
>>
>>8809612
Conceited.
>>
>>8809600
Disney likely contributes more to society than number theory.
>>
>>8809646
Yitang Zhang probably did a lot to advance our society, we just don't realize it yet. Like how linear algebra didn't really show its practicality until computers took off.
>>
>>8809646
RSA Encryption wouldn't exist without number theory. It lets a public key be available to anyone, but the messages encoded with the key can only be decoded by people with an extra bit of information. The internet relies on this.
>>
File: nomizi.jpg (107KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
nomizi.jpg
107KB, 640x640px
>>8809708
>Yitang Zhang probably did a lot to advance our society,
elaborate.
>>
be the Kanye of Number Theory
>>
>>8810038
muh twin prime conjecture
>>
File: 14873085674212.jpg (107KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
14873085674212.jpg
107KB, 640x640px
>>8810092
what about it will advance our society?
>>
>>8809333
I know this feel all too well. This behavior has led me to graduating 1 year early in Math and direct acceptance to my Applied Math masters.

Number Theory is alright I guess. In my personal taste, I prefer Algebra and Analysis. Overlap of the two is best.

>abstract linear algebra course
>spend multiple hours per day studying the content.
>make every assignment spotless, spend hours perfecting the logic
>internalize the material
>aced the course, only a few people did in a 40 person class
>use my knowledge in algebra to self-teach quantum mechanics and functional analysis
>talk to my professors on modern topics
>program a projective Fourier Transform function just so I can generate plots of different waveforms

I did my undergrad thesis in function approximation algorithms last quarter. 18 pages long. Writing it and analyzing my plots actually felt like fucking.
>>
>>8809333
Make your own exercises
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.