[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to create a false memory?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: 1122563.jpg (28KB, 786x439px) Image search: [Google]
1122563.jpg
28KB, 786x439px
Is it possible to create a false memory?
>>
Yeah, but first we have to "decode" our brains.
>>
>>8806586

Yes. It's a very popular method used on prisoners in North Korea.
>>
>>8806593
Decode, as in figure out its patterns?
>>
>>8806609
Yes
>>
>>8806586
Soon, Musk just announced Neuralink.
>>
>>8806616
Oh yeah I saw that, not sure how I feel about it. I'm no neurologist, but I feel there is a large margin of error that could be had there.
>>
>>8806586
Sure they're created all the time, it's part of the way the brain remembers. Go read about the work of Elizabeth Loftus.
>>
See Julia Shaw. She's hot af too
>>
>>8806586

Yes, in many ways all your memories are false already. You don't remember things as they happened, you remember a bunch of keywords and when you "remember" an event, your brain is actually reconstructing the event based on those few keywords and a lot of guesstimation.
>>
>>8806627
I'm waiting for WaitButWhy paper, Musk promised one.
>>
>>8806662
This.
OP, basically all of our memories are educated guesses and often they're not accurate at all. Mixing, mashing and completely changing memories is commonplace in everyone.
>>
I remember hearing something about the brain creating false memories. Someone can keep insisting that "you did X at Y with Z" and if they keep suggesting it your brain might start creating false memories on its own. Also when you start to forget old memories your brain just fills in the holes with random bullshit.
>>
File: 1346768665006.png (2MB, 1680x1705px)
1346768665006.png
2MB, 1680x1705px
>>8806593
>>8806609
>>8806613
bottom right in pic related
>>
>>8807760
http://people.umass.edu/~psyc241/RoedigerMcDermott1995.pdf
>>
Referring to brainwashing perhaps? If not we should probably look at the definition of a memory
>>
>>8806586
it happens in dreams
>>
No, you can't alter memories. Do you even watch Rick and Morty?
>>
>>8808034
>Implying R&M talks of actual science
Seriously, are you brain-dead?

Anyway, it could be possible to create distorted memories via magnetic interaction with the brain or some form of DBS or implants. We do know that the Amygdala (Self-preservation instinct part of the brain) can be affected via magnets. The picture would be there but it would be shoddy at best, this can lead to false memories emerging at worst if the damage is heavy enough.
>>
>>8806662
>>8807758
These.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNUFcx3MGdM
>>
>>8808100

brainlet detected
>>
>>8806586
Yes, it's been areal issue in several criminal trials, like the one where over-eager interviewers created memories of Satanic rituals and abuse in a bunch of preschool kids.
>>
>>8806586
Not only are your memories only educated guesses as other anons have said, but your current experience is mostly guesswork as well. From what I've heard, rather than taking in information and using that to generate a simulation of its surroundings, your brain instead estimates a simulation of the world and uses sensory information to correct it after the fact. If you've ever glanced at something, say some writing or a number, then looked at it again and it seems to be different that's because your brain filled in the space with what you were expecting to be there, then corrected it once you actually took in what was really there.
>>
>>8806586
Yes but you have to be insane.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.