[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wtf is Pi?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: w.png (13KB, 640x712px) Image search: [Google]
w.png
13KB, 640x712px
If a Circumference is the diameter multiplied by Pi, where the fuck do you get Pi from? In order to know Pi, you have to know the circumference (a perfect circle) in order to divide it by the diameter to know Pi but in order to know the Circumference you need to multiply Pi by Diameter.

Wtf?

How can Mathematicians know what a Perfect Circle is beyond guessing? WTF?!

Doesn't this mean that the concept of "circle" is fucking made up?
>>
Yes.
>>
Yep
>>
>>8805844
>>8805846
Why do STEMtards act like they possess objective knowledge then?
>>
>>8805850
We have objective about hypothetical perfect circles
>>
pi comes from the period of e^x
>>
All concepts are made up. That doesn't make them any less useful.
>>
>>8805862
exblain yo self
>>
File: 300px-Circle_radians.gif (167KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
300px-Circle_radians.gif
167KB, 300x300px
>>8805839

Now move on with your life.
>>
Take a yarn and make a circle. Measure the diameter of the circle. Then straighten out the yarn and measure the length of the yarn. Divide the length of the yarn by the diameter of the circle boom there's your pi.

Fucking brainlets i swear.
>>
>>8805875
So pi is rational?
>>
>>8805875
How do you measure the yarn and how do you know the ruler is accurate or reliable :^)?
>>
>>8805875
Also, what do you mean by "make a circle" lmao?
>>
Not all circles are made up. The average shape of say, a star is a circle. No perfect circle can exist in nature, but it is the average of many natural things. That way it is real, and it does exist. And its properties does correlate to natural phenomena. It is an abstract concept, but it has natural things striving towards it. in a sense 'trying to be it'. A circle is more real than an unicorn. There are no natural processes trying to be a unicorn, if evolution gets there it is by chance. The mimicking of circles is not done by chance, it simply is the only thing that can be, for many things trying to be it.
>>
>>8805919
You're suffering from a little thing I like to call apophenia buddy
>>
Pi is the ratio you get when you try to square a circle since a circle is an infinite number of corners.
>>
>>8805850

Empiricists use "objective" to mean "corroborated", they side-step the noumenal / phenomenal divide by just assuming that the IS a relationship between what we experience and "reality-as-it-is" and work from there.
>>
>>8805900

Doesn't matter you smartass retard. You can measure it in units based on the length of your penis for all the difference it makes, it's a RATIO not a number.
>>
>Doesn't this mean that the concept of "circle" is fucking made up?
If you find this odd, a Platonism is underlying your thoughts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platonic_realism
>>
>>8805924
Thank you. If this is suffering then let us all be so blissfully afflicted
>>
>>8805870
meme identity e^pi*i + 1 = 0
>>
>>8805942
>>8805839
>Platonism
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMAypyKqVKE
>>
I believe the ancient derivation of Pi was from enscribing a circle with polygons of increasing sides. The limit of the perimeter of these polygons as you approach infinity sides is 2Pi.
>>
>>8805871

>implying a 1d dot isn't a perfect

get the fuck off sci
>>
Genuine question, I’m honestly not trolling, but why is Pi important? Why is it such an important concept/number in mathematics?

I'm an average guy who check /sci/ once in a while and have always been curious about it.
>>
>>8805969

It lets you calculate the area, circumsphere and volume of spheres, circles, curves, and loops. Also, it was the final proof that not all numbers are rational, which was a big deal for the Greeks who thought numbers were divine.
>>
>>8805839
I am pleased my thread yesterday inspired some younglings.
>>
>>8805839
Define pi to be the circumference of the circle with diameter one.

Try to draw a circle with diameter 1 .
Do a lower bound measurement, maybe by inscribing a square inside the circle. There you got your first bound x=perimeter of that square and you get: x < pi

Then inscribe the circle inside a bigger square and the perimeter of that square will be an upper bound. Call it y and you have
x < pi < y

Then, through any methods try to get better lower and upper bounds to get better and better bounds for pi and congrats, you found a practical pi.

Now take a lot of drugs and forget about logic and PRETEND that this finite sequence of approximations actually exteds to an infinite sequence and then PRETEND that pi is uniquely represented by that sequence.

Congrats, now you are a mathematician.
>>
>>8805839
We define 2pi as the period of exp(z) then it's done
>>
>>8806021
Wow! Mind blown.
>>
>>8805839
>what a Perfect Circle is
Ask Maynard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTgKRCXybSM
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.