[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pattern Recognition As The Basis

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: tumblr_n2x0y2MYBD1qav3uso1_500.gif (990KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n2x0y2MYBD1qav3uso1_500.gif
990KB, 500x280px
Why is it not more widespread that pattern recognition is the basis of everything? I actually first heard it a few years ago and was shocked by the assertion that all intelligence is just pattern recognition.

Except it's entirely accurate that all we do is pattern recognition. Why are things like this not more well known in popular culture or popular understanding?
>>
>Why are things like this not more well known in popular culture or popular understanding?

You could ask this question about anything. It's because people are far more stupid and less interested than you give them credit for.
>>
>>8805246
Yes, but understanding things from the basis of pattern recognition actually improves how you think. Especially when it comes to science, religion, etc debates.

It gives a far better foundation for understanding the world. I actually think we would probably be best off teaching everything off the basis of a pattern language rather than math.
>>
>>8805241
It's obvious, so there was no reason to discuss it
>>
like all pop sci shit it's superficial, like how most of religion, or at least the common interpretations of religion are superficial and reward normalfags for a minimal investment of time and mental effort

do you think a normalfag actually gives a shit? they don't analyze this stuff, they don't deconstruct, tear it down and look at all the basic, irreducible components / axioms / w\e

I agree, there's more than that, there is also selective assimilation of information, the process of memorization, genetic factors that bias your analysis, there's bias everywhere, there's reticence towards learning some concepts, there's a tendency of only caring about the information you really, really want to memorize
>>
It is perhaps the basis of intelligence. But its not all there is to it.

Planning in an uncertain environment is a much harder problem.
>>
>basis
>everything
undefined and shallow statements imo

what about invisible phenomenons like fluid dynamics, gravity and magnetism yeah they follow patterns but even if maths could show them without uncertanties (which it cant: three body problem) one especially can't show the patterns of said math with certainty
>>
>>8805241
If all you do is pattern recognition, which patterns of your own have you recognized?
>>
>>8805645
behold a retard
>>
>>8805241
Can someone make a similar gif with there being a person and it identifying him as a faggot?
>>
>>8806037
yes
>>
>>8806037
why not make a real fag detector in which you feed real images of fags

like, photos of you, of OP, of Nigel Farage, etc
>>
Panpsychism is the closest to reality.
>>
>>8805759
He should have clarified "it's obvious if you're not a moron."
>>
>>8805241
Because it doesn't mean anything to say "woah dude like everything is pattern recognition". Okay? What comes after that? What exactly do you mean?

Just a bullshit qualitative pseudo-model that doesn't really explain anything but has enough truthiness to it that people will have a gut reaction that it's correct.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.