[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

After age 20 you lose about a gram of brain mass per year.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: ew.jpg (24KB, 790x790px) Image search: [Google]
ew.jpg
24KB, 790x790px
After age 20 you lose about a gram of brain mass per year.
>>
Not fast enough.
>>
>>8804974
Under what conditions though?
Isn't the majority of the brain mass just the brain becoming more efficient by pruning unused neural connections? What about the glial cells and the other material besides neurons that makes up brain matter?
>>
>>8804993
Devils phase into your skull with tiny ice cream scoops and remove the centers of your hopes and dreams as you sleep.
>>
>>8804993
This. Your brain doesn't even finish hooking up until age 20, so it's probably just taking the scaffolding down. Glial cells form 90% of the brain anyways. I would be more worried if it was neurons or oligodendroglia that are specifically being removed, as this would possibly impact new learning.but we don't actually know for sure.
I'm more interested in how much longer it's going to take this A.I. we're supposed to be training to recognise a fucking store front!
>>
>>8804974
It's just the brain trimming useless cells. You're gonna get increasingly better at what you already do and it will be increasingly difficult to learn new stuff.
>>
>>8804974
so brainlets like you get even smaller brains? wow, interesting.
>>
>>8805664
At age 80 you lose 5 grams of brain mass per year.

Is that just the brain improving itself?
>>
File: 1487871857980.png (28KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1487871857980.png
28KB, 657x527px
>tfw you study hard every day until your head hurts
I gain a gram of brain very day.
>>
>>8805656
There's actually some recent research that suggests that the pre-frontal cortex may not finish developing until age 30. The brain develops from the back to the front and inside out, with the "higher" areas developing last. Your higher executive functions will not solidify until 25-30.
>>
File: rage.png (38KB, 522x600px) Image search: [Google]
rage.png
38KB, 522x600px
>>8804974
I'm 25 and I have been obsessing over this since I read it yesterday. Thanks a lot OP. I hope you fucking die.

If you google what he says it is true. Depending on the source, it starts at 20 to 25 and is 1 or 2 grams per year.

Fuck you OP. FUCK YOU! MY JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!
>>
> discussing a tabloid factoid on a scientific board
>>
>>8807502
If someone told you your penis would shrink by 1 mm per year after the age of 20 would you care?
>>
File: screenshot2015-07-30at2.31.57pm.png (660KB, 1106x1012px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot2015-07-30at2.31.57pm.png
660KB, 1106x1012px
>>8804974
>After age 20 you lose about a gram of brain mass per year.
Not surprising.
I'm 27 and my memory is fucked up.
I have no idea what I did yesterday.
>>8807492
Depression and stress greatly accelerate the rate of volume loss so calm down.
>>
>>8806097
>brain doesn't hurt anymore can literally learn all day
>talk to brainlets and they get headaches after two hours
>>
File: -.jpg (22KB, 249x235px) Image search: [Google]
-.jpg
22KB, 249x235px
>>8807502
THIS
>>
>>8808052
There was an article about the brain aging faster as a consequence of learning.
>>
>By age 75, the brain is an average of 15% smaller than it was at 25.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebral_atrophy
>>
>>8808062
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
What if you drink really hard? Can you lose brain mass faster?
>>
>>8808049
Your memory is fucked up because of weed. It does that.
>>
File: pick1.jpg (43KB, 838x324px) Image search: [Google]
pick1.jpg
43KB, 838x324px
>Someone was alive with the brain on the right.
No wonder brainlets can't keep up.
They have half the brain volume and they don't even know.
>>
>>8808068
OMFG WHAT A FAB THOUGHT

TRY

IT

OUT

<3
>>
[math]\color{green}{\mbox{DNA breakage underlies both learning, age-related damage}}[/math]
[math]\color{black}{\mbox{Process that allows brains to learn and remember also leads to degeneration with age.}}[/math]
http://news.mit.edu/2015/dna-breakage-learning-age-related-damage-0604
>>
>>8808084
That's smart, I'm going to do it from now on. [math] \color{green} {Thanks.} [/math]
>>
>>8808072
No drugs.
Sports 3+ times a week.
Math major.
Depressed.
>>
>>8808109
Try taking some supplements or a multivitamin, you may have a deficiency of some nutrients. If you live in an area that gets less sunlight, that may be a contributing factor to depression, or you have Seasonal Affective Disorder.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.