[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Favourite Mathematician and Why

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: edYor.gif (85KB, 260x274px) Image search: [Google]
edYor.gif
85KB, 260x274px
My answer has to be Joshua King. Read this following quote:

"Joshua King came to Cambridge from Hawkshead Grammar School. It was soon evident that the school had produced someone of importance. He became Senior Wrangler, and his reputation in Cambridge was immense. It was believed that nothing less than a second Newton had appeared. They expected his work as a mathematician to make an epoch in the science. At an early age he became president of Queens’; later, he was Lucasian Professor. He published nothing; in fact, he did no mathematical work. But as long as he kept his health, he was an active and prominent figure in Cambridge, and he maintained his enormous reputation. When he died, it was felt that the memory of such an extraordinary man should not be permitted to die out, and his papers should be published. So his papers were examined, and nothing whatever worth publishing was found."

He fucking trolled all of academia, he had the talent, but decided he wanted to chill. After universities have tricked so many students with the STEM meme, it's good to see one student strike back, even if it was a few hundred years ago.
>>
>>8803873
The only good students in Oxbridge are the non-anglos. Fight me
>>
>>8803913
Newton /thread
>>
>>8803921
wrong bitch.
>>
>>8803929
Terence Chi Shen Tao is an impressive academic, no doubt, but did he go to Oxford?
>>
>>8803951
that was the joke you brainlet
>>
>>8803956
Hahaha...funny
>>
File: willy.png (993KB, 820x556px) Image search: [Google]
willy.png
993KB, 820x556px
>>8803929
IMHO Terence Tao is not as fascinating as Wiles, Perel'man, Grothendieck and others.
He looks kinda blank.
>>
>>8804126
>blank
bland.
>>
My favorite mathematician would have to be either Ramanujan, Mochizuki,or Grothendieck. Ramanujan for doing what he loved and being talented at it, Mochizuki for his creation of IUT, which he has already used to great effect, or Grothendiek for doing great mathematical work despite his background and perceived intellect.
>>
>>8803873
I've never heard of this guy. That's a hilarious story. Thanks for sharing it.
>>
File: 1484099647766.jpg (76KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1484099647766.jpg
76KB, 1024x768px
>>8804746
>IUT, which he has already used to great effect
>>
>>8803873
>tfw you will never be Senior Wrangler
>>
>>8803873
Archimedes, for lots of reasons including his last words:
"Nōlī turbāre circulōs meōs."
Or "Don't disturb my circles"
>>
>>8805140
My trolling will never reach his level, it's true.
>>
>>8804746
>which he has already used to great effect,
topkekekek
>>
>>8804746
>Grothendiek for doing great mathematical work despite his background

>Jews cannot do math

get a lot of this nazi
>>
File: 1491386042883.jpg (195KB, 798x770px) Image search: [Google]
1491386042883.jpg
195KB, 798x770px
>>8803929
>>
Abel. Great mathematician and his biography reads like a tragicomedy.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.