[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

math probability problem

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: DSC_0007.jpg (1MB, 3104x1746px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0007.jpg
1MB, 3104x1746px
Okey guys, I need major help. :/

I need to solve this:
"throwing 5 six sided dices, what is the probability, that sum on 4 of them will be 11?"

I tried to use Bernoulli scheme and binomial distribution, where will be n=5 attempts (number of dices), and k=4 successes (because only 4 of dices we are taking into result). There are 104 possibilities for sum 11 on 4 dices.

but my results are absurd. I think that this method is wrong.

Please /sci/ does someone know how to solve it?

P.S. on a picture is my cat
>>
>>8801442
get out of here with this shit. /sci/ is for pop psych personality and rationality quizzes.
>>
start by finding the entire range of possible sums weighted by their probability of occurring
>>
>>8801469

already did that, possibility for 11 on 4 dices is 104/1296, but question is how to find the possibility of sum 11 on 4 dices when you are throwing 5 dices.

With 5 dices there is 7776 possible outcomes, so... Counting them one by one would be more than insane.
>>
>>8801442
You map out all the possible outcomes and then you circle the ones you've been asked for and add them up
>>
>>8801476
then there's 6 ways for the 5th die to fall, given that the other 4 added up to 11
>>
>>8801478
m8 it would be primary school method. it's 5 six sided dices. 7776 possibilities.

This is binomial distribution, and I tried to use Bernoulli process. It should provide, but I had to messed up with something.
>>
>>8801482
Yep but how to implement this into calculations?
>>
bumping for halp
>>
>>8801516

lmao are you for real?

there are 104 × 6 possibilities - the times 6 is because the fifth dice can be everything
>>
Use the principle of inclusion-exclusion.
>>
>>8801552
Yes I am, because this is an error from your side.

104 x 6 is a 624

624 from 1296 possibilities for 4 dices is... 48%, so this is not true.When I throw 5 six sided dices probability for sum 11 on 4 dices can't be almost 50/50 :)

Okey 624 from 7776 is 8%... Same as 104 from 1296... So this is also not true m8.

You can't just multiply possibilities "because 5th dice".
>>
Whenever you get a math problem written in text form the first you have to do is to write it in terms of mathematical formulas.

First define a probabilty space [math](\Omega, \mathscr{F}, P) [/math]. The obvious choice is to take
[math] \Omega = \{1,2,3,4,5,6 \}^5 [/math]
[math] \mathscr{F} = \mathscr{P}(\Omega) [/math]
[math] P(A) = \frac{|A|}{6^5} [/math]

Now define five random values [math]X_i: \Omega \to \mathbb{R} [/math] for [math]i=1,2,..,5[/math] whose values are the results of the dice rolls so
[math]X_i ((\omega_1, \omega_2, \omega_3, \omega_4, \omega_5)) = \omega_i [/math] for all [math](\omega_1, \omega_2, \omega_3, \omega_4, \omega_5) \in \Omega [/math].

Now for [math]i=1,2,..,5[/math] consider the events
[eqn]A_i = \left\{ \omega \in \Omega \middle| -X_i(\omega) + \sum_{k=1}^5 X_i(\omega) = 11 \right\} [/eqn]

With those definitions the probability you have to calculate is just
[eqn] P\left( \bigcup_{i=1}^5 A_i \right) [/eqn]
which can easily be calculated with >>8801558.
>>
>>8801612
Thank you very much m8, I will try it now. :)
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.