[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I git gud at geometry starting from the very basics? I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: geometry-3146.jpg (145KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
geometry-3146.jpg
145KB, 420x420px
How do I git gud at geometry starting from the very basics? I can do all of the computations, but I don't have a very strong intuition for shapes and shit.
>>
>>8801031
Read Euclid's The Elements
>>
>>8801049
What, like all of it...?
>>
>>8801053
Until you have the understanding foundation you want
>>
>>8801053
>>8801049
>I want to get good at X!
>Do Y
>But doing Y is haaaaaaard
Never change, /sci/
>>
lol wtf obviously you're not supposed to read Elements, that book has historical value, use a modern textbook..

My favourite for starting out (very basics) is the Geometry for Americans chapter in Art and Craft of Problem Solving, but this kind of has a focus on olympiad-style problems.
Nevertheless it does explain the concepts and teach you how to apply them etc.
Do as much as you can of it and then prolly move to "Geometry Revisited"

This is pure geometry btw, not algebraic geometry or some other undergrad stuff, I don't know anything about that shit
>>
>>8801198
>Geometry for Americans
Do American brains function in a specific way which requires an alternative method of teaching geometry?
>>
>>8801215
Thats what the author wrote not me

And he is referring to the fact that geometry is overlooked and poorly taught in US education (middle n high school) or sth. I wouldn't know, I'm not american

But I have worked through the chapter and its fucking dope
>>
>>8801031

Kiselev's Geometry. Book I. Planimetry, by A. P. Kiselev

Kiselev's Geometry Book II. Stereometry, by A.P. Kiselev

Refer back to the greeks whenever you want to compare constructions and proofs.
>>
>>8801031
can't go wrong with Introduction to Geometry by H.S.M Coxeter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkhuMvFQWz4
>>
File: 220px-Alexander_Grothendieck.jpg (15KB, 220x268px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Alexander_Grothendieck.jpg
15KB, 220x268px
Algebraic geometry is the best. Read EGA, SGA, and FGA, All else is brainlet tier
>>
Wow, so many recommendations. If only anons had some credentials to back them up, because how the fuck is anyone supposed to distinguish something some HS dropout who read literally one book considers to be "dope" (*), from what a person who has read almost every book in the topic and has some experience in the field (or better - in teaching) thinks to be good?

(*) This is not a reference to >>8801321
>>
>>8801031
There was just a thread on this. >>8798792

I recommended Hartshorne's book on elementary geometry. Very clear and teaches you some relevant abstract algebra along the way.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.