[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CMM programming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

Idk if this is the right board or not but does anyone have any experience programming CMM?

I have an interview soon for the position of CMM programmer/operator, I'm an ME major, I've used AutoCAD, Autodesk Inventor, Solidworks, but don't know a thing about CMM

I'd really like to get this position and know what I'm talking about during the interview, can I learn CMM more or less in a few days? How should I go about this?
>>
>>8800827
what do you know about machining? General Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) is what you should google.

do you have access to CAM software (gibbsCAM, MasterCAM)? because the toolpathing is pretty similar to the programming a CMM machine gets. learn G-code.

good luck nigga, a good CMM operator makes fuckin' bank.
>>
>>8800838
I dont know anything about machining, I'm a sophomore

I'm reading about gd&t now and am pirating GibbsCAM right this second, and reading about g-code

Seems like a lot to learn

I guess they liked my resume, hopefully they're willing to train some, though the job posting does say experienced in gd&t and cmm is a requirement
>>
>>8800854
>I dont know anything about machining
you might be in trouble then

>am pirating GibbsCAM
that might not do you any good. most pirated versions won't post good code. the post processor is the "money" of the software and is a very fluid little file.

does your school have a machine shop? i'd recommend getting your ass down there and looking at the manual devices for doing GD&T. once you put your hands on a dial indicator and height gauge and run them across some parts, it all makes sense. at least it did for me.
>>
>>8800854
What fucking university doesn't teach machining/GD&T to ME by sophomore year?
regardless, I second this
>>8800838
>>
>>8800983
most universities manufacturing curriculum is horrendous for ME. Elon Musk wasn't lying when he said "manufacturing needs some love".

the guys in the shops right now have an average age of 50. the machines in the shops right now have an average age of 30. muh automation isn't as prevalent as the NEET's here would have you believe.
>>
>>8800998
I think mine must have just been updated then. Most sophomores at Berkeley have taken a class on Manufacturing and Tolerancing and have machine shop training, or at least access to small cnc mills.
>>
>>8800983
How dumb of me, I know gd&t just fine. I'm behind, (I chose engineering late) but yeah, in my design class we rarely used tolerances though.

>>8800980
Yes it does, lots of machines, what kind specifically should I check out?
>>
>>8801006
>I think mine must have just been updated then
probably

good ol' uncle joe biden was able to push a bunch of funding for manufacturing education down the pipe. unfortunately it hit the community colleges instead of the 4 year institutions. my local community college has a couple of million dollar 5 axis machines, some EDM machines, etc. but my dedicated STEM university has 2 cheap ass Haas 3 axis machines and a bunch of knee mills from the 60's.

when i asked my ME department head about the discrepancy he said "we're not a trade school".
>>
>>8801010
if you have a CNC mill, throw a dial indicator into a collet, load it into the spindle, put a part in the vice, and then use the mill in MDI mode to move the indicator around the part and take measurements.

compare the coordinates that the machine is giving you and what the dial indicator says to determine how close to the design the part is.

i'd suggest grabbing a fucked up piece of scrap and truing it up to square/integer lengths (IE taking a mangled blob of aluminum and machining it down to a 2"x2"x2" block with a hogger or big end mill). then running the indicator/height gauge over it to see how you did. thats as close as i can think of to simulating the CMM experience for a noob.
>>
>>8801020
I'm beginning to think I'm in over my head

But I'll give this a try, maybe check out some YouTube vids of CNC machining so I don't break anything when I go in
>>
>>8801047
heh, just use aluminum, crank the spindle speed all the way up, and use a big ass end mill. the machine will let you know if its unhappy.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.