[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Intermittent fasting on brain

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

What is the consensus of intermittent fasting(18/6, or more) and its effect on brain? Is it good, bad or nothing?
>>
>>8800693
Loosing weight and fasting can cause production of ghrelin to increase. This will make you ravenous, usually irritable, but also more focused on tasks and better able to learn and use what you've learned. It also aids in building muscle. This should not be confused with hypoglycemia/hyperglycemia which will fuck up what you are wanting to do. If you need to take a test or go to a job interview, try to get that ghrelin flowing.

It also helps your body balance multiple sources of energy. Thus, your brain will become more energy resilient.
>>
>>8800765
While I like what you wrote can you back it up and did you recommend it as a daily thing? I've heard people saying intermittent fasting deprives the brain from is glycogen and thus bad for us.
>>
>>8800693
University of Southern California did a bunch of research on this you can find if interested.

The fasting needed to be a period of 5 days though, done every month (or every X months if already thin) in order to gain the benefits of cell regeneration. They also discovered you can simulate a fast, by eating under X calories per day. The people involved made a company out of it called prolon https://prolonfmd.com/science-research/ but if you check the papers you'll find exactly what calories/what to eat instead of spending money on their 'mimicking fasting kit'.

The whole daily fasting thing by skipping breakfast/lunch is a meme spread by that lean gains guy, Joe Rogan podcast pseudoscience and plebbit. Meme as in no studies done worth review
>>
>>8800787
Not that guy and not my sub-area of research though I currently do ghrelin research, but:
Plasma Ghrelin is increased during fasting

Ghrelin enhances hippocampal BDNF (though to my knowledge fasting does not necessarily result in this. Ghrelin is only produced peripherally and the current best hypothesis is that it permeates the BBB at the arcuate nucleus and nucleus of the solitary tract where the BBB is more permeable)

Fasting does improve glucose homeostasis, though not necessarily in a ghrelin dependent manner
>>
>>8800693
https://authoritynutrition.com/intermittent-fasting-guide/
>>
>>8801441
So, should onr do it?
>>
>>8802492
Chronic calorie restriction will improve life span as the other anon pointed out. Fasting is not necessary for this.

Fasting chronically will increase BDNF in the hippocampus and perhaps other structures. Even if it doesn't, ghrelin also faciliates VTA DA neuron synaptic reorganization.

However, keep in mind increased BDNF and consequent neurogenesis is not universally good. Rats that were socially isolated from their mother in development and denied the opportunity to have their mother groom them upon return show increased LTP in response to stressful and average stimuli.
>>
bumo
>>
>>8800693
Many religions include fasting periods that add to spiritual awareness, or at least give the psychological benefit of strengthening "willpower" - a concept entirely foreign to this generation that gets what they want when they want it.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.