[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone tell me how this works?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: dedede.png (3KB, 463x58px) Image search: [Google]
dedede.png
3KB, 463x58px
Can someone tell me how this works?
>>
>>8799399
Sure. Few ways to look at it. That equation is wrong by the way. The first term on the left has m!/m!. Probably the easiest is to use binomials or pascals triangle. However you could just simplify both sides instead.

[eqn] (x+y)^n = \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!}x^k y^(n-k) [/eqn]
Multiply both sides by [math] x+y [/math] to get
[eqn] (x+y)^(n+1) = \sum_{k=0}^{n+1} \Big(\frac{n!}{k! (n-k)!}+\frac{n!}{(k-1)! (n-k+1)!}\Big)x^k y^(n-k+1) [/eqn]

Equation equal coefficients in this equation with the coefficients in the first equation after replacing [math] n [/math] by [math] n+1 [/math]
>>
Paraphrasing a VERY smart person.
"No one understands why math works. They just get used to it and take that for understanding"
>>
>>8799432
Obviously I accidentally powered just the parenthese and not the whole term in the [math] n-k, n-k+1, \text{and} n+1 [/math]

There's another clever way to look at it using combinatorics.

Suppose you have n+1 objects and want to know how many ways you can pick out k objects.

First set one object aside. Decide you won't use that object, and calculate how many ways you can pick k objects out of n objects. Now also decide you WILL use that object. Calculate how many ways you can pick k-1 objects out of n objects.

Obviously if you add these you'll just get how many ways you can pick out k objects out of n+1 objects.

tada, two ways to prove the same thing.
>>
>>8799448
>>8799432
>>8799399
make sense OP?
>>
>>8799399
[math]\frac{m!}{n!(m-n)!}+\frac{m!}{(m-n+1)!(n-1)!}=[/math]
[math]\frac{m!(m-n+1)}{n!(m-n+1)!}+\frac{m!n}{(m-n+1)!n!}=[/math]
[math]\frac{m!}{n!(m-n+1)!}(m-n+1+n)=\frac{m!(m+1)}{n!(m-n+1)!}[/math]
>>
File: Snapchat-2025479636.jpg (387KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-2025479636.jpg
387KB, 1080x1920px
>>8799448
this is how the problem is worked out in my book. It is in Serge Lang's Basic Mathematics
>>
>>8799458
As I said in the first proof it's probably easiest just to simplify it. However proving it using the binomial expansion or this combinatorics proof seems to give a bit more insight.
>>
>>8799458
I don't understand how the second numerator turns into m!n
>>
>>8799465
Because 1/(n-1)!=n/n!
>>
>>8799468
thank you so much
>>
>>8799468
>>8799460
>>8799456
>>8799457
>>8799448
>>8799441
>>8799432
Thank you, all. Very helpful
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.