[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Post something which led to you majoring in that field.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

It can be anything, a story, a book, even an object.

For me, it was Ken Ono's book.
>>
>>8797856
deriving sin^2x + cos^2x = 1 in highschool; understanding math wasn't just arbitrary horse shit.
>>
>>8797856
I went into Physics because of Minecraft
>>
>>8797856
The book "Entropy" by Oded Kafri.
>>
File: money3.jpg (220KB, 1200x798px) Image search: [Google]
money3.jpg
220KB, 1200x798px
Doing a Master's in Aerospace Engineering because of this
>>
>>8797869
Is it because you didn't get any job offers after your bachelor's?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc
>>
>>8797858
Isn't that by definition?
>>
>>8797954
I thought you derived it from the unit circle
>>
File: mathphd[1].jpg (40KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
mathphd[1].jpg
40KB, 640x427px
>>8797856
>PhD in Mathematics
>any job I want
>300k Starting

Never has it felt so good to be a nerd
>>
>>8798048
sin and cos are defined to be the sides of a right triangle
>>
>>8798057
no they're not.

They're the sum of infinite series.
>>
>>8797937
Yes

Ironically, my bachelor's was in ME
>>
>>8798053
Tasty bait
>>
>>8798060
correct

>>8798057 this dudes right
as well
>>
>>8797856
Physics

Me back then: >Dude space and universe lmao

Now i just do it cause im autistic
>>
>>8798053
>PhD in Art
>Any fries i want
>30 food coupons starting

Never has it felt so good to be an artist
>>
>>8797856
I'll tell you the truth.

I'm a math major and top 10% student. I finished high school and basically thought I was a God Among Men for that alone, so I decided to just "get a job", and work and make money. However, after half a year of only working shit jobs I decided I should go to university anyway. I literally went on google and searched for the highest paying degrees out there, and one of the top degrees was mathematics so I just went for that. From that moment on I decided for myself that mathematics was going to be my new obsession, and it worked.
>>
Physics.

Initially, I wanted to go into biomedical engineering to build prosthetics. But then I changed highschools, and I went to tiny boarding school with a border-line insane physics teacher.

He was the mot glorious combination of autism, poetry, masochism, and hippy. The first-year coarse focused almost entirely on intuition and he taught amazingly well in terms of pedagogy, even in his higher-level courses. But he also had a beautiful ability to translate it into.. I dunno how to say. Physics as an experience rather than as a study. Like the difference between smelling a flower and just having seen its diagram, but having both.

The pinnacle was the Entropy talk he gave once every two years. It was everything you would expect - a two-hour lecture of how the universe would die in excruciating detail, and why it was okay to not give a shit and be happy anyway.

its actually what got me looking into my own spirituality and physics as a way to deepen it and gain insight into it.
>>
>>8798823

I should specify further. One of his favorite demonstrations was about the mind's perception and taking a nonjudgmental approach to feeling. For which, he would repeatedly slam a stapler into his arm and pick out the staples one by one. The guy's best friend was a flesh-hook suspension artist and would show off with a shark fishing hook on his key chain at the bars.
>>
>>8797856
After high school I went to work with people with special needs (which was awesome), but I wanted to get a job with more perspective, so I became a nurse.

In nursing school I realized that while I still love old folks and have skilled small talk to 100% what fascinated me the most was the medicine part.

So I got into med school.
>>
>>8797856
>pure math
I can think of me being interested in learning math all the way back in 1st grade. I'm not really sure how I developed this interested,

but I think it had to do with fascination with space and it's vastness and I think that somehow translated to fascination with large numbers and higher orders of magnitude, I remember getting 'wet' when I thought I saw a new term to describe bigger numbers. I knew million, and billion, and then I remember seeing "pillion" but I mistook the word for pillow. (this was back around 2nd grade)

So space->numbers->the rest of math->obvious major for an austist
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.