[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Behold, the reference angle formula

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6

File: Capture.png (6KB, 550x243px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
6KB, 550x243px
Behold, the reference angle formula
>>
what does it do?
>>
>>8797495
Given any angle in radians for x, it returns that angle's reference angle in radians
>>
>>8797501
How does it work? Why does that expression you posted encapsulate such behavior?
>>
File: photo.jpg (116KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
116KB, 900x900px
>implying π exists
>implying the cos function exists
>>
File: Capture2.png (5KB, 357x187px) Image search: [Google]
Capture2.png
5KB, 357x187px
>>8797502
Great Question.
The ArcCos(Cos()) Function is a trig function called by its inverse, Plotting this gives you a zig-zag or triangle-wave function that reaches its max of y=pi at x=pi over and over. To generalize it to awave that varies between -1 and +1 with unit period it can be shortened to (1/pi)(2*Sin^-1 (Sin (2pi x))), this is a wave that reaches a max of y=1 at x=1/4, 1 cycle at each integer.
This can be derived from recognizing that reference angles are generally linear, and behave like this triangle wave. If you tried to create a ref angle function, instinctively one may try modulo or something like that. Notice how reference angle changes as a given angle increases. From 0 degrees to 90, the reference follows exactly with the angle, but after 90, to 180, it decreases like -x, and same with 180 to 360. The triangle wave we have can be shifted with multiplication and shit to make it match the period of the reference angle exactly. multiplying it by 45 and adding 45 to make its peak at 90, and dividing it by 360 to stretch its horizontal scale out to 90 as well. It can be simplified down to the degree version (pic related). Multiply by pi / 180 to get the op, which is in radians.

This function is 100% correct and is never wrong but i cant prove it

These niggers wanted me to use quadrants and shit but Im like fuck that so Here is a formula
>>
>>8797515
>Implying something imaginary could get us to the moon
>>
File: fixed.png (5KB, 575x238px) Image search: [Google]
fixed.png
5KB, 575x238px
Actually, I'm retarded. This is the formula for radians. I forgot how conversion worked. This one is actually precise and works 100% of the time. The degrees one is correct, though.
>>
>>8797437
why not just do (pi)x/180 to convert angles to rads? what purpose does the arccos(cos( serve is it just cancels out?
>>
File: 1486568362316.jpg (18KB, 680x410px) Image search: [Google]
1486568362316.jpg
18KB, 680x410px
my formula is vastly superior
>>
[eqn]\min\left(\theta, \pi-\theta\right)[/eqn]
Simpler and prettier
>>
>>8799104
what is the sideways mars sign?
>>
File: 1487475839483.png (13KB, 952x82px) Image search: [Google]
1487475839483.png
13KB, 952x82px
>>8799104
actually this is the best formula
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.