[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does salt make ice colder?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 1344884032731.png (350KB, 940x720px) Image search: [Google]
1344884032731.png
350KB, 940x720px
Why does salt make ice colder?
>>
>>8795085
>Lowers the melting point of ice
>Causes bonds to break
>Take in heat form the surroundings
>This continues until the ice and surroundings are in equilibrium.

The same reason why ice keeps your drinks cool.
>>
File: 1374370473663.jpg (19KB, 366x399px) Image search: [Google]
1374370473663.jpg
19KB, 366x399px
>>8795087
Why does it lower the melting point of ice? What is this mechanic called? And why does ethanol do it better than sodium chloride?
>>
>>8795089
>Why does it lower the melting point of ice?
You'd have to find a chemist, I don't know.

>And why does ethanol do it better than sodium chloride?
I'd imagine because the mixture formed would have an even lower melting point. But again you'd have to find a chemist to be certain.
>>
>>8795089
>What is this mechanic called?
colligative properties
>>
salt sucks the water from ice
water is warm
ice is cold
ice - water = colder ice

let's be formal here, ice is actually ice with water, or as I have recently taken to calling it, ice + water, but what you want to do is add some salt on ice to make it ice - water = ice. Yeah you may say, nigga that means water is 0, BRO fuck off with your math, math is abstract shit that has no basis in reality especially in natural numbers, that shit is fucked up.

But it's quite hard to reach ICE temperatures, you will always have some water thus you till TEND to approach ICE as you add more and more salt, you will asymptotically "reach" ice levels of temperatures but not quite. More salt, closer, closer, almost ICE... FUCK! THERE GOES THE TANGENT! god damn it that startled me. We've reached the end and it's just a fucking tangent, no way of reaching that ICE cold temperature. FUCK!
>>
>>8795089
Intermolecular forces
Salt disrupts the ability of water to hydrogen bond with itself because its favorable for the water molecules to hydrogen bond with ions of the salt. The solid form of water, ice, is a highly ordered crystalline structure made through very specific hydrogen bond geometries made between water molecules. The presence of salt ions means that even if some of the water molecules have started to adopt a crystalline network, other water molecules won't be losing any hydrogen bond mates, and won't be forced to join the crystal to have the most bond mates.
>>
File: 1116630752196.jpg (299KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1116630752196.jpg
299KB, 1280x720px
>>8795100
I tried looking at the wikipedia article for this, but it is written in some foreign language. Hopefully someone can translate?

>>8795109
Makes sense that the water bonds with the salt, especially given >>8795105's explanation regarding how ice always has a layer of water around it.

If it disrupts the bonding process, resulting in less ice, why does the temperature of the remaining bodies of ice drop? If anything, shouldn't it increase? I assume due to how thermodynamics work, the heat generated from disrupted ice bonds is actually being taken from the bodies of ice themselves, resulting in a lower temperature. Is this correct?
>>
>>8795126
How do you know it is written in a foreign language if you don't know said language?
>>
>>8795126
The energy needed for the additional hydrogen bonding that would produce ice is instead used up by bonds between hydrogen and chloride, sodium and o2. since the chloride ion is more electronegative than the oxygen ion it's essentially stealing the electrons that would otherwise allow the hydrogen to bond to the oxygen of another water. It's reducing the energetic favorability of the h20's aggregate state, making it take in more energy to retain its structure.

You might think that this causes the ice to get warmer, on the contrary it absorbs heat from the constant reaction between the h2o molecules making them require more energy to break apart, thus making the overall system colder.
>>
>>8795105
Get out of here Stallman
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.