[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Math PhD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1490278168040.jpg (162KB, 991x631px) Image search: [Google]
1490278168040.jpg
162KB, 991x631px
Is a math PhD worth it? I know BLS.gov says that the number of mathematician jobs will increase at a rate above average of all occupations in the U.S. but it only amounts to about 700 new openings.
>>
Only you are equipped to make that sort of economic decision, you know more about your life and what you want more than anyone else does. That's why we live in a free market, not a command economy.
>>
Get a PhD in stochastic calculus or some finance related field, then you can become a quant and literally earn 300k
>>
>>8791624
Yes and no, being a mathematicians is becoming a math researcher.
>>
>>8791633
I'm finishing an undergraduate degree in applied mathematics in May. Thus far my role in student research teams always leads me to be the algorithm and arithmetic checker. The engineering majors and science majors tend to be the ones that do the interesting work. I'm curious to know if that's also what someone with a mathematics doctorate does as well.
>>
>>8791625
From what I've researched and asked on math forums it seems that a PhD does not seem to be an economically viable option for those looking to maximize their ROI. There are university professors teaching in Ivy League schools making $200,000 a year, but these are severe savants that rank high on being neuro-diverse on aspi tests. Basically, they're difficult positions to get into.
>>
>>8791655
I'm no math PhD but /adv/isor.

Being a math PhD and becoming a mathematician is just to do post-graduate research, so you're only sitting there thinking what new thing you could create and teach at the undergrad level.

Nothing is getting applied in the real world, unless you're working on something like mathematical physics maybe.

Also you're an AppMathfag, you'll be fine with just the MSc.
There exists AppMath PhD but it's not worth it.

You always gotta think what you will do with your major though, you can't study appmath just for the sake of it, but I'm sure you already know what you want to do.
>>
>>8791694
Pretty much this
>>
>>8791624
Do you have very clear sight on what you want to research? If not, don't even consider it.
>>
>>8791624
only at harvard mit princeton stanford chicago berkeley otherwise no
>>
A PhD in Combinatorics seems to be worth it since you can apply it to Computer Science problems.
>>
>>8792729
this is such a ridiculous post, I even recognize exactly who you are.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.