[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /sci/, what would an object travelling around a black hole

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 300px-Ergosphere.svg.png (27KB, 300x303px) Image search: [Google]
300px-Ergosphere.svg.png
27KB, 300x303px
Hey /sci/, what would an object travelling around a black hole in the ergosphere look like to a distant observer? Mainly, I'm wondering how they would observe time passing for that object. I've read that rotating black holes bend light cones to such an extreme degree that paths greater than the 45 degree limit that bounds light cones in flat spacetime become traversable for objects in the ergosphere. In essence, distances that would be considered to be spacelike separated by distant observers are timelike separated to travelers in the ergosphere. In special relativity, any object that is travelling beyond the 45 degree limit of the light cone in flat spacetime will be seen as travelling backwards in time by some other equally valid frame of reference. Doesn't this mean that objects travelling around a black hole in the ergosphere will be seen by some distant observer as travelling backwards in time? I understand that I'm taking a concept from Special Relativity and am trying to reconcile it with a concept in General Relativity, so I'll admit my basic reasoning here might be flawed. Still, this is something that has been bothering me for a long time, pls halp.
>>
Also, I've read that light that gets stuck on the edge of the ergosphere trying to escape outwards going the wrong way is infinitely redshifted. Why wouldn't light leaving the ergosphere be infinitely blueshifted, like it's expected to be near the inner horizon of rotating and charged black holes.
>>
shameless bump, first page is filled with shit threads anyway
>>
>>8788090
Ya'll sure about that nigga? I'm pretty sure that objects in the ergosphere orbit large black holes in relatively short amount of times, as seen by outside viewers. Also I would imagine the amount of time dilation you see an object experiencing would depend on the angle you are viewing them at, and objects that are moving towards you in the ergosphere should have clocks that are possibly ticking faster than your own.
>>
k
>>
For fucks sake why is it so hard to get an answer to any of my questions
>>
>>8789761
Because sci is filled with dumb undergrads thinking they are cool using 4chan instead of reddit where they came from. Fucking shithole the sci became.
>>
>>8789809
Yea, I know it's a meme to bitch about 4chan boards getting worse, but /sci/ has noticeably declined in quality over the past couple of years. Half the threads on the first page are shitpost threads, mods really should manage thread quality better.
>>
>>8787806
> Doesn't this mean that objects travelling around a black hole in the ergosphere will be seen by some distant observer as travelling backwards in time?

no, lorentz transformations don't work that easy, the 45 deg angle changes from each reference frame to another
>>
>>8787806
ever heard of quasars?
>>
>>8790254
yes
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.