[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Existence & Zero

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

File: Empty.jpg (17KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
Empty.jpg
17KB, 450x300px
Why is it that dividing something by nothing is impossible? If nothing truly is nothing than wouldn't that mean that dividing by 1 and dividing by 1 are the same in a way? Or is zero really just glitch in the number system to define a state of non existence?
>>
>>8786192
It converges to infinity
>>
>>8786192
>Or is zero really just glitch in the number system to define a state of non existence?
Probably should be -0.
>>
>>8786192
>if nothing truly is nothing then wouldn't that mean that dividing by 1 and dividing by are the same
The truth value of the premise appears to be independent of the truth value of the conclusion, which appears to be true
>>
You can kind of assign [math]\dfrac{1}{0}[/math] the value [math]-\dfrac{1}{2}[/math], because the closed form of the series
[math]\sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty}a^n[/math]
Is
[math]\dfrac{1}{1-a}[/math]
Which evaluates to [math]\dfrac{1}{0}[/math] when you input [math]1[/math] for [math]a[/math].

While this series(informally expressed as [math]1+1+1+1...[/math]) is not assigned a value using the above form, it is assigned the value of [math]-\dfrac{1}{2}[/math] using other methods. So basically
[math]\dfrac{1}{0}=\sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty}1^n=-\dfrac{1}{2}[/math]
>>
>>8786227
Does the mean that nothingness eventually reaches the point where it becomes something because of its potential to become something?
>>
>>8786227
It also "converges" to negative infinity.
>>
>>8786345
so it's in a sort of limbo between the the potential to be and the potential not to be thereby making it a placeholder for non existence? It's everywhere and nowhere because it is not in the present?
>>
>>8786352
what the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>8786358
Zero,nothingness, or the non existent. Whichever you want to refer to the state of not be as.
>>
>>8786192
>wouldn't that mean dividing by 1 and dividing by 1 are the same
>>
>>8786385
I meant dividing by 0 and dividing by 1.
>>
>>8786283
[eqn] \frac{1}{0} = -\frac{1}{2} = -6\frac{1}{12} = 6\Big\{1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + \cdots \Big\} [/eqn]
>>
Why is this board such a shame?
>>
>>8786407
What makes you think it's a shame?
>>
>>8786420
So what is imagination in that case? Things that do not exist have the potential to exist because of imagination which can bring forth an idea which does not exist which can lay the grounds for an object that does not exist. Perhaps it's the switch itself?
>>
>>8786425
What is your imagination in general? If you bring forth non-existent concepts and use those non-existent concepts to create that which does not exist, does that mean that your imagination doesn't exist or is it a bridge that unifies the state of existence and non existence?
>>
>>8786410
Because it's just shitposting and no actual science or math
I swear to God 90% of the people on here are brainlets with IQ <115 who got accepted into gifted and talented or people with IQ's 140+, but who are lazy neets who never studied.

If anyone wants to do any real science posting the best thing they can do is go over to stack exchange
>>
>>8786192
>wouldn't that mean that dividing by 1 and dividing by 1 are the same in a way?

I think they are exactly the same.
>>
>>8786333
Yes, just look at the big bang where everything came from nothing.
>>
>>8786373
that has almost nothing to do with the number 0
0 is a finite, specified absence, not a state of non-being
>>
>>8786192
it's because of how division works
if you want consistent and sensible results for everything else, you have you cut out division by zero (as well as make x/1 = x and a few other things), because it doesn't behave like other division when you try to work out what it means
>>
>>8786992
How is zero finite? Is it because the moment you add something to it or take away, it's no longer zero?
>>
>>8786985
But what did the big bang come from? Did it come from literally nothing, or did it perhaps come from the end of something else?
>>
File: AULE8eX.png (320KB, 419x356px) Image search: [Google]
AULE8eX.png
320KB, 419x356px
0D: [math]\sqrt{0} = \sqrt{\sqrt{0}*\sqrt{0}} = ...[/math]
1D: [math]\sqrt{1} = \sqrt{\sqrt{1}*\sqrt{1}} = ...[/math]
2D: [math]\sqrt{-1} = \sqrt{\sqrt{-1}*\sqrt{-1}} = ...[/math]
3D: [math]\sqrt{\infty } = \sqrt{\sqrt{\infty }*\sqrt{\infty }} = ...[/math]
>>
>>8786192
to put it in simple terms you cant put something in groups of nothing, doesn't make sense
>>
>>8788654
Does it really not make sense? Or do we just not know? Or can we not comprehend the concept?
>>
>>8786192
>dividing by 1 and dividing by 1 are the same in a way
you just blew my fucking mind OP
>>
File: 1489107978052.gif (3MB, 390x357px) Image search: [Google]
1489107978052.gif
3MB, 390x357px
>>8788708
See >>8786386
>>
>>8788690
no it just isnt a concept it just cannot happen, its like putting 10 cakes in groups of 0.
>>
>>8786192
s'not
zero may simultaneously exist and not exist
or just exist altogether
>>
>>8788723
There's a lot of things we say can't happen and shouldn't happen, yet they happen anyways. While neither of us can comprehend how putting 10 cakes in 0 groups is possible, I'm sure there is someway to make that happen, currently possible or not.
>>
>>8788745
I'm sure that is just isnt possible there are some things that arent possible in terms of physics and maths this is one of them
>>
>>8788770
Math and physics isn't really my strong suit, I like scientists like Edward Hubble, Stephen Hawking, Carl Sagan, Bill Nye the science guy, and Neil Degrasse Tyson
>>
>>8786192
Yes, zero exists that's why the whole concept of zero originated in the middle east
>>
>>8788780
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/history-of-zero/

It was before middle east
>>
>>8788776
Yeah I can respect some of them but Bill Nye and Neil get none sure they are smart but they are so pompus for no reason what have they actually done in terms of science for them to be so, all they do is say illogical things most of the time which gets some amazing reaction as it sounds smart they wont know what it means but they think it is true.
>>
>>8786192
First off, are you high?

Second, why are you trying to apply philosophy to something as trivial as division by zero when e^(i pi) = -1
>>
>>8786192
All truths you come upon on LSD are false
>>
>>8786227
>it converges to infinity
>converges
>to infinity
>>
>>8788745
>I'm sure there is someway to make that happen, currently possible or not.
you might want to see it like there is more than one and that'a a problem.
>>
>>8786192
Impossible? It's just that mathematicians haven't defined it.

Just like they haven't defined what "77 ;-) 99" means.
>>
jesus fuckin christ. hate to be the one to crush your world but sorry son, zero is just an extra number added to the naturals so there exists a neutral element. infinity is (in this case) just a maximal element in the reals with some algebraic properties artificially defined to make limits easier to work with. 1/0 is undefined, it is defined in a limit case under certain circumstances. "division by zero" in general can be also be defined in some algebraic setting, e.g. you can say that 0 is divisible by 0. but it's just a definition, period. nothing philosophical going on here. I used to "reflect" on those things too. then I stopped being a brainlet and ACTUALLY learned some math.
>>
>>8788918
Should I be concerned that I was a sober state of mind when I made this thread and still am as I maintain it?

>>8788911
I wasn't referring specifically to dividing by zero, I was also referring to the state of non existence. And no, i'm sober.

>>8788931
>>8788928
What did you two mean by this?

>>8788963
The dividing by zero thing was one aspect of this thread. I was also referring to dividing something that exists into pieces that do not exist. But then again, that's pretty much the same except trying to draw upon a real life example.
>>
>>8788931
What does 77 ;-) 99 mean to you? I know what that number means to me, but what does it mean to you?
>>
>>8788780
The concept always existed, it just had no assigned value.
>>
>>8786192
Assigning x/0 a value always leads to paradoxes. Not only is it obviously asymptotic/divergent, but any value assigned to x/0 can then be used to prove every complex number equals 0.
>>
If everything is nothing and nothing is everything what does that mean what if we take all numbers and substract them with their opposites and do this for all numbers. 1 and negative 1 and 2 and negative 2. Think about that OP
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.