[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First human head transplant set 8 months from now!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 13

File: IMG_4313.jpg (42KB, 600x386px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4313.jpg
42KB, 600x386px
Do you think it'll work?? Has science gone too far??
http://www.sciencetimes.com/articles/11181/20170328/worlds-first-human-head-transplant-all-set-in-december-man-from-russia-volunteered.htm
>>
>>8785537
if it works ill probably be more terrifid at what we've become than anything

im not a bible humper, but this is on mad scientist tier.
>>
>>8785537
What, that is crazy. What are they going to use to reconnect the spine?

Is it possible to reconnect spines now?
>>
Medfags get in here and help us understand some of this Tomfoolery!
>>
>>8785537
Wouldn't it make more sense to call it a body transplant?
>>
>>8785544
Spine. Sure, just need a few screws.
Spinal cord, no.
>>
>>8785544
if it was even remotely possible we'd have a cure for paraplegics. It's not a serious idea
>>
File: image.jpg (400KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
400KB, 750x1334px
Medfag here, this shit ain't gonna work.

Im guessing the media blew this out of proportion. There is literally no way in hell this man will get to use this body. The understanding of the human brain and neurology just isn't there.

I just skimmed over the operation and I'm guessing that the purpose of this operation is to give this guy a new heart to keep the brain alive. The body is just there to keep the heart alive, and the heart will be controlled by a pacemaker.

tldr; They aren't giving this nigga another body, they're giving him aesthetically pleasing Iron Lung and Iron Heart.
>>
>>8785537
This is absolutely going to fail. This probably won't even go through.
>>
This is equivalent of trying to go to Mars when you just invented a steam engine.
>>
boy, is that throat going to be sore
>>
>>8785629
Will the head reject the body or will the body reject the head?
>>
>>8785537
It won't work

we can't even reattach spines in people with severe spinal injuries
>>
>>8785656
Not him, but there is no way he will be able to fuse the spinal cord.
>>
>>8785629
>>8785537
>>8785544
>>8785553
>>8785614
>>8785628
>>8785633
>>8785658

The spinal cord is not as complex as people think. It's possible to reattach it under certain circumstances. The reason you cant reattach it when someone say breaks their back is because you would essentially have to remove part of it (the part that is not only severed/torn but punctured by bone fragments/foreign objects) and this removal of spinal tissue would cause the spinal cord to be too short to reattach.

The team in this operation however will not be doing that, they will simply be cutting at predetermined section X and mending the connection (most likely with stem cells).

t. Neurosurgeon
>>
>>8785629

Spinal cord fusion with PEG-GNRs (TexasPEG): Neurophysiological recovery in 24 hours in rats

Conclusion:

In this preliminary dataset, for the first time, we report the effect of a novel form of PEG with the goal of rapid reconstruction of a sharply severed spinal cord.

Surg Neurol Int. 2016; 7(Suppl 24): S632–S636.
Published online 2016 Sep 13. doi: 10.4103/2152-7806.190475
PMCID: PMC5025948

I think the idea is that a controlled sharp severing of the spinal cord under ideal circumstances is very different from the pathology of most people with spinal cord injuries.
>>
>>8785656
Well the bone marrow comes with the body so the body will reject the head.

>>8785698
What height are they cutting? Below C3 isn't viable really. Are they reattaching his vagus too?
>>
>>8785707
I'm not directly involved so I have no idea what they are doing exactly, I just know its possible to reattach a spine as long as its not highly damaged.
>>
desu everyone involved should be burned at the stake.
>>
nothing special
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBY25Owxm1o
>>
>In the 1980s they successfully transferred the head of 1 monkey on to the body of another monkey.
>The monkey lived for a few months before being rejected by the body and dying.
>>
>>8785539
>it's ok to get another person's liver/lung/heart/arm/whatever
>but god forbid, please NO, not anything more than that at the same time

You'd be too stupid to breathe if it wasn't a reflex.

>>8785588
It would.
>>
>>8785698
>neurosurgeon
top kek yeah fucking right.
>>
>>8785544
I am not sure that they will reattach. The patient is terminally ill and this (if it works) will save his life. I doubt he will be able to work out or anything. The body is there to keep him alive.
>>
>>8785754

I would say it's not OK to do those either, desu.
>>
>>8785539
Would it be mad scientist tier to replace limbs (arms) with robotic limbs?

What about waking up the dead with electric shocks?

Or or growing human organs in animals and using them to replace human organs?
>>
>>8785837
Waking the dead with electroshocks is impossible once the brain decays.
>>
>>8785804
>be about to die
>except if you take some organ from an already dead person
I really don't see why the hell not.

Also whose body are they using? Will they just wait till someone gets brought in who was shot through the head or something?
>>
>>8785863
cuz "muh respect for the dead" I figure.
>>
>>8785863
Yeah why not. Why take the lungs, the liver, the heart when it could be given to 4 other persons that could be saved. long queues for those shit.
>>
Science has gone too far on this one.
>>
>>8785907
Oh then I misunderstood you. Yeah I can see your point.
>>
what is the actual definition/mechanic of a body part or organ being "rejected?" Specifically, why does it happen?
>>
>>8786016
When the blood of two bodies mixes the antibodies begin to realize there is a foreign threat. Due to the head being a small cluster of cells compared to the body the overpowering of its immune system will be in favor of the new body.

The best way to deal with this is to culture a stem cell junction point between the foreign head and old body and paste it between the two.
>>
>>8786065
would this stem cell contraption act as an intermediate step between the head and the body, like something that could convert the antibodies from one side to match those on the other?
>>
>>8786065
Wouldn't this significantly impede blood flow and thus diminish pressure and cause the patient to go unconscious?
>>
>>8785539
It depends on how far its taken, tbdesu.
Of course you are gonna have some rich, sick, fuck that steals children and transplants heads around and shit, but for the most part this will be good for, you know, getting one step closer to making our species immortal.
>>
>>8785537
>Has science gone too far?
Not far enough. Where's my pollution eating machines? Trees don't work fast enough.
>>
>>8785726
Yeah, organ rejection happens occasionally. Don't we have tests to reduce the likely hood of that?
>>
>>8785544
What actually bothers me more is that we do have nerve system regeneration/innervation, and it's not that hard:

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=regeneration+of+peripheral+nerves+electrical+stimulation+patent&btnG=&hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C33

And those are just the patents. Doctors are literally decades behind rehabilitation, and it really pisses me off.
>>
>>8785698
If it's that easy then you could just replace someone's entire damaged part with a part from a cadaver.

It's scary that you are a neurosurgeon yet can't comprehend how to make something longer.
>>
>>8785544
He's basically saying that a clean cut to the spine is much easier to reconnect than a mashed up one. I doubt this would work though and the patient will die when they put his head to -15C
>>
>>8787151
>>8787157
It's still fucking dumb, because you could graft an extension onto the spinal cord with "clean cuts".

It's like you guys are fucking dumb or something.
>>
Is it gay to masturbate someone else's penis if it's now yours?
>>
>>8787239
only if u say no homo
>>
>>8787239
what if you have hydrogen atoms in your penis that hitler once drank as water!?!?!?!?!?

does that mean you are jearking off the jew killer cause that'd be metal as FUCK
>>
>>8786238
>>8786156
Life uh...
Finds a way.
No but in all seriousness what hopefully happens is that in this junction point the blood on the way in begins to slowly accept the new head and the blood on the way out slowly begins to accept the new body.

In theory it is stupid.
In practice...
well it is so crazy it just might work.
>>
File: Extremely.jpg (229KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Extremely.jpg
229KB, 1920x1080px
>>8786156
The "stem cell contraption" is non other than a specially crafted "glue" of sorts composed of a hybrid of the two cell cultures.

It is extremely experimental...
>>
>>8785537
They keep saying this will happen in a few months time for a few years now.
>>
File: Yfw.jpg (107KB, 2257x1261px) Image search: [Google]
Yfw.jpg
107KB, 2257x1261px
>>8786238
This would reduce blood flow had it not been preprepared in a lab for flow and well....precautions been put in place...

>.>

>yfw this doctor is trying to pull off the mathematical equivalent of pic related.
>>
>>8787150
Doctors are supposed to save lives, not use dodgy experimental research to mess around with patients' lives.
>>
>>8785698
If the cord reconnects wrong and your hands become your feet, will your brain adapt to that?
>>
>>8787782
Yes.
It is up to the frontal cortex to unfuck you at that point.

I wonder what would happen if you made an axolotl human hybrid stem cell culture...
Would it be able to replace anyones limbs when inside a favorable environment?

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/162/3852/460
>>
>>8785588
Depend, are they moving the body from table 1 to table 2, or the head?
>>
File: Wellshit.jpg (46KB, 325x238px) Image search: [Google]
Wellshit.jpg
46KB, 325x238px
>>8785537

RESURRECT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPhBHZvJReQ

THUNDAGA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnKAwkbBiqk

FIRAGA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahwy3-k5mEY

>yfw wizards never died
>yfw they just relabeled themselves scientists
>>
File: Wearecomingfullcircle.jpg (606KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Wearecomingfullcircle.jpg
606KB, 2048x1536px
>>8785537
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhDPaJsy_No

This is the beginning of the dankest meme.
>>
File: cgivats.jpg (52KB, 550x301px) Image search: [Google]
cgivats.jpg
52KB, 550x301px
>>8785537
>Update

Soon magic shall return to Gaia in its fullest form.
We are awakening from our slumber.
The ancient ones approach.
>>
>inb4 all the billionaire 80 year olds mysterious acquire new bodies and live on be 130+

This cannot be good...
>>
Where are they getting the guy's new body?
>>
Who is paying for the operation? 11 million bugs for an experiment is quite a lot.
>>
>>8787852

I was thinking maybe some guy who is braindead? I guess they would need to plan the whole thing beforehand so they cannot get a organ donor's body.
>>
File: 1445214872465.jpg (54KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1445214872465.jpg
54KB, 640x480px
>>8787852
>>
File: EBTFO.jpg (15KB, 300x174px) Image search: [Google]
EBTFO.jpg
15KB, 300x174px
>>8787850
No wizard would be complete without his precious monster and creatures.
Soon we shall bring back the races that man in his errent lust for power destroyed.
The return of the cyclops, the centaurs, the elves, the beast men, the orks.
The rebirth of all that was taken from our mother. Gaia's vengeance enacted through our hands.
Wrath. WRATH.
WRATH!
>>
>>8787852
some dude donated his body for him to use
>>
>>8787851
We're on the verge of reversing aging using gene therapy so I doubt they'd resort to a radical procedure such as this
>>
when I first read about this they were saying he would still be a quadriplegic and the new body is just to keep his head alive because his own body is failing, but now they are talking about making him walk

somehow I have my doubts
>>
>>8787938
If it is a perfect donor body and if the doctor makes the impossible possible and reconnects the spinal cord then it is possible.
>>
>>8785537

If it succeeds, it will be very good news considering islam getting foothold around the world.
>>
>>8787167
You'd need a living donor that's a match for a graft, you fuck turd. You can't take tissue out of a body that's been dead for more than a couple hours. The cells die. Bone begins to rot. The process is irreversible.
>>
>>8785537
>is it worth it
Yes, I can finally become an immortal by taking other peoples body Jojo bizzare adventure style
>has science gone too far
its never far enough
>>
Is it really that easy to pitch shit like this to ethics?
>>
/pol/ was right
>>
>>8787909
Doesn't he want to live anymore? Or will they place his head on the muscular atrophy body? lel
>>
>>8788262
What's unethical about two consenting adults agreeing to partake in an experimental medical operation? Especially if one of them is about to die anyway.
>>
>>8785537
That translation is hilarious

>his head will be frozen to heal from bleeding out
>Meanwhile, because of the possibility of undiscovered levels of insanity that might occur after the operation of transferring a foreign head, scientists finds a way. With a team of programmers who developed a virtual reality system the expected problem that will arise will be given solution abruptly.
>>
>>8788302
the part where the have to kill a guy to get the other body
>>
File: what.jpg (5KB, 243x207px) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
5KB, 243x207px
>>8788312
>undiscovered levels of insanity that might occur after the operation of transferring a foreign head, scientists finds a way. With a team of programmers who developed a virtual reality system the expected problem that will arise will be given solution abruptly.
>>
>>8788294
I think he died of something but his body was left usable.
Can't say for sure whether the dude himself gave consent or if he was brain dead and his family gave permission.
>>
So they have not even done this successfully with dogs or monkeys first? Are they planning to? Seems like the obvious first thing to do to prove that it even works and maybe to practice the procedure.
>>
>>8788428
South Korea severed the spinal cord of a dog and then reattached it and apparently it gained it's ability wag it's tail in three weeks

The head transplant team did it with a monkey, but they didn't reattach the spinal cord because they wanted to test if the blood supply worked. It did but they kept the animal alive only 20 hours because of ethical reasons.
>>
>>8787753
Says who?
>>
>>8785537
what is the percentage of this being successful?
>>
>>8788476
on surgery?
probably closer to 100%
on long-term survival?
probably less than 1%
that's my estimation anyway, that's based on nothing
>>
>>8788476
I dunno fiddy fiddy?

This shit hasn't been done before.
>>
This is some Frankenstein tier shit

I am excited, to say the least
>>
>>8787239
No, because they aren't your hands either
>>
>>8788476
Depends on what you mean by successful
If all you want is for the patient to survive, then sure this might actually work, for a while. He's not exactly going to be tap dancing though.
>>
>>8785537
According to different sources there is a guy that have figured out a way to reconnect a spinal cord , buy kinda directing the body to where it is supposed to grow itself back together.
The body would reject the head, but they are also saying that he will need to use some kind of drugs to keep this from happening.
>>
>>8785537
I don't really care. It's not going to make you liver forever, you probably have reduced functions if any, and only the super rich will ever be able to afford it.
>>
That which is not dead but can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
>>
>>8785629
So it will work, he just won't have control. But the head transplant will work.

Or body transplant.
>>
Even if they could successfully graft the two spinal cords together, I'm visualizing it as a bundle of wires, where they then have random wires connected to each other, so when the patient wants to move his left toe he actually shits himself and when he tries to shit he will stop breathing. Is my understanding too simplistic?
>>
>>8785640

this

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/a-qa-with-the-first-human-head-transplant-surgeon

the guy is just a transhumanism zealot
>>
>>8788435
severing a dogs spinal cord and reattaching it isn't the same as attaching its head to a different body at all. There's no way the spinal chords are exactly the same. Something is bound not to fit properly.
>>
>>8785537
There's something wrong and unethical about this. Gives me the heebie jeebies
>>
I don't get how this would Work. It seems like a huge meme.
>>
>>8791381
>the guy is just a transhumanism zealot
The doctor also refuses any peer reviews of his experiments and hasn't even proved he can reconnect the head of a monkey. The person will die. Now I understand they are dying anyway, but do no harm is not followed here at all.
>>
>>8791757
>wrong and unethical

Take your bullshit beliefs in flying spaghetti monsters and show them the door.
This is where the real science happens.
>>
>>8791757
this is /sci/
>>
File: science_pepe.png (132KB, 396x385px) Image search: [Google]
science_pepe.png
132KB, 396x385px
If we're going full-mad scientist here, they should attach the head to the body of a black woman
>>
>>8788337
Do you even know what "donor" means in medicine?
>>
Will the transplanted body be of any use to the guy? I would assume that the body could only offer respiration and circulation to the brain. Arent the nerve fibers of the spinal cord relativly unique between different people? Could this person ever gain control over his new body with physical therapy?
>>
>>8793043
Tfw thicc ass fuck headless gf
>>
I dont get it.

Wouldnt the new body need to be fresh and alive? Are they just going to kill someone and bring his body in quickly for the transplant?
>>
>>8793163
The "break" in the spinal cord can be bypassed. At least one day it will be, recent trials on rats has done exactly that and allowed them to use their lower body again and it even started growing a new connection with extended use of the lower body. However this was only recently done on rats and wont happen in humams for quite a while, so I seriously doubt it
>>
I will be watching for this with unbearable fascination, regardless of the possible results.

If it succeeds, I'd be shocked.
>>
I think transplanting your head to a robot body is more doable than this, and argueably more desirable.
>>
This is literally the ghetto version of a head in a jar.

He will never gain use of his new body.
>>
>>8788551
My Mom has said that shit for years and it actually makes me angry now when I talk to her.
Anytime it's one of two things, she'll say it's a 50/50 chance even if its way more likely for one outcome.

>"It's 50/50 whether it's going to rain, anon"
>"The weather says there's an 80% chance of rain"
>"Well, it will or it won't, so it's 50/50"
>>
>>8793479
We can't even keep people with organ failure alive in a hospital bed hooked up to all machines medical science has to offer, how on earth are you going to simulate the functions of a real human body with a compact functional moving robot body prosthesis?
>>
How is the body selected?
>>
>>8787150
>>8787753
The amount of money these things cost make it a fiscally bad idea to use them for normalfags.
>>
>>8793539
That's not the point, he needs a body that will keep him alive.
>>
>>8785537

Give Trump a new head please.
>>
>>8785544
No, it's not. When you happen to damage your SNC gliosis occurs and due to differences in the activation of certain cells there (the SNC in comparison with the PNS) it almost always produces a glial scar thus the axons don't regenerate and there is massive neural degeneration.

t. actual medfag student
>>
>>8787920
i hope to god so. that digital brain shit seems unnervingly prominent in the trans humanism. i don't want those spergs funneling all that progress being funneled into a gay computer clone.
>>
Rather than a head transplant, isn't this actually a body transplant?
>>
It will live I'm sure, the question is if the spinal cord will connect enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2BxGOdYm8U
>>
>>8788280
/pol/ can finally transfer its head onto an athletic black man's body and calm the fuck down.
>>
>>8795372
>athletic black man's body
but that would require being in jail.
>>
File: muh_blood_donations.jpg (157KB, 833x505px) Image search: [Google]
muh_blood_donations.jpg
157KB, 833x505px
>>8795372

>black people donating anything
>>
my balls veins doors that prevent blood from going backwards were not working
whats the 2017 solution for this?
cut them...make a finger long incision trough the abdomen, fuck up your abdome muscles for life just to get to the mother vein that drains blood from the balls and cut it, fuck 2017 medicine, they say 20% of men suffer from this and we still have this shitty solution
>>
I want to know where the fuck they got the $11 million for this and why they didn't spend it on something more productive.

We still can't do shit with CRISPR, or bio-printing. We can't even make hair follicles with stem cells yet.

The only thing that I'll be happy about when this is over is that it will provide heaps of data for more stem cell research.
>>
>>8785649
Lol
>>
>>8788435
South Korea needs to learn to not play with its dinner
>>
I had a tendon severed and reattached and my finger has never been the same, I can't imagine this operation being a success.
Thread posts: 126
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.