[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WHAT IS THIS CALLED?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: black-solid.jpg (57KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
black-solid.jpg
57KB, 2560x1440px
Ever been in a dark room and stare at one object or single point?

For me, this shroud of blackness begins to creep over my visual field.

If I stop focusing my eyes or move them a little, the black shroud is removed and my surroundings return to normal.

Is there a name for that black shroud?
>>
nah
>>
>>8785528
Death.
>>
>>8785528
It's called The Void.

Enter it.

("Doooooo doo doo-doo d'doo")
>>
>>8785550
Forgot pic
>>
>>8785528
its trance.
>>
I get this too, bump for curiosity.

I found it works bests with tree's against the blue sky.
>>
>>8785528
I know what you mean, but never cared enough to search for a name of the effect. When I was young I thought it was me controlling my pupil size, making them smaller, seems unlikely now.

Related, ever been in a very dark room staring at a small red light and see a blue glow/blue lightning near your blind spot? I need the name of that, I know there is a wikipedia page about it where I learned it and then tested it, but cant find it.
>>
It's your eyes and brain getting bored with seeing the same unchanging scene and starting to filter them out. When you move your eyes the scene changes and the filtering goes away.
>>
Seems from wikipedia that this anon >>8785575 is right
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stabilized_images
>>
File: rcdist.gif (24KB, 601x397px) Image search: [Google]
rcdist.gif
24KB, 601x397px
>>8785575
This.

Your peripheral retinas are predominantly rod-shaped photoreceptors, which are stimulated by light intensity. When you focus on a single space in the dark, your peripheral rods, not receiving any intense input, begin to get inhibited. This extremely reduces the salience of anything in your peripheral visual field.

As for why it appears as a black aura radiating out from your focal point, I'd guess it's because of this: your fovea (central retinal area with its own unique physiology that corresponds to your focal point) is receiving more visual stimulation than your periphery. As with all retinal cells, its excitation has a secondary function: inhibiting neighbouring retinal cells through the use of a interwoven network of horizontal bipolar cells. This allows for the objects in your focal point to become more salient.

Since no other neighbouring retinal cells are receiving stimulation (again, because of the darkness), their salience is extremely reduced as the horizontal bipolar cell signal cascade advances from the fovea to the outer edges of the visual field.

And since the visual cortex receives no excitatory information from these areas of the visual field, it scrambles a bit to make sense of what the eyes are seeing in thsee areas. This could be what gives you the perceived blackness and eeriness of this void.

As for why it disappears when you move, the anon I'm replying to put it best
>>
Is it really black for you guys? When I do it (in the daylight) everything fades to a fairly light grey.
>>
>>8785635
It's all dependent on what kind of stimulation your peripheral visual field is getting
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.