[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I decide whether or not to switch to math in university?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1273.jpg (23KB, 300x395px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1273.jpg
23KB, 300x395px
How do I decide whether or not to switch to math in university?
>>
If you don't want to spend your whole life on it and aren't a genius, don't(unless you don't care about being poor, then I would do it)
>>
Q: should i switch to math?

A: yes
>>
>>8780164
I want to go to grad school and be a prof
>>
>>8780506
Then you'd better be good at math.
>>
>>8780506
Do you go to and Ivy league school or Oxbridge? Are you the smartest person in your college class, and by a large margin? Have you been doing math for fun since a young age? If the answer isn't yes, then you're wasting your time.
>>
>>8780582
I'm Canadian and my marks are good
Thought you didn't have to be a genius to do math,I don't have aspirations to make some huge great discovery just to work in a niche and do research
>>
>>8780589
Niche field*
>>
>>8780589
>Thought you didn't have to be a genius to do math,I don't have aspirations to make some huge great discovery just to work in a niche and do research
Well, you're wrong. What do you think the ratio of math PhD. graduates to faculty position is? Go ahead, take a guess.

Now go look up the real figure.
>>
>>8780606
1:1000 right ?
>>
>>8780630
Just read the report. Basically, if you're interested in doing a career in academia you need to be a genius. If you would feel comfortable doing statistical modeling or government work, the picture is a bit better, but in any case you're going to be competing against some very very smart people and basically you can't half-ass it at all.

http://www.ams.org/profession/data/annual-survey/2015Survey-NewDoctorates-Report.pdf
>>
>>8780639
Hmm yeah if I couldn't pull off an associate prof position then I'd be able to live with being a prof at a liberal arts college (is that viable?) or doing govt/industry work
>>
>>8780114
Double major/double honours physics and mathematics. Do it.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.