[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ice Giants Mission When?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: ur_nep1.jpg (115KB, 500x263px) Image search: [Google]
ur_nep1.jpg
115KB, 500x263px
Hello. It's Uranus and Neptune here to remind you that we haven't heard from you Earthfolk since 1989.

Voyager 2 was pretty cool but it didn't enter any orbits and only took a few fuzzy photographs of our grand moon systems.

When will you humans get off your asses and send a real mission out here again?
>>
You guys are boring. If one of you was at least a lava giant or something...
>>
>>8776291
Boring planets are boring.
Nobody cares about aquaman and butthole planets.
>>
>>8776307
>>8776311
They have some pretty interesting moons.
Also, they'd probably be less boring if we know more than jack-shit about them.
>>
>>8776291
Uranus and Neptune have the big problem where they're too fucking far away.
A lot of space exploration missions suffer from, what they view as, bipolar leadership. Political leadership and budget changes too fast in comparison to the time it takes to plan, put together, launch, and execute a mission.

Then there's the time problem. Right now, we don't have rockets capable of putting a probe on a simple Hohmann transfer to Uranus or Neptune (Uranus 16 years, Neptune a whopping 40 years), making us spend even longer using gravity assists.
The fear here is that halfway through the decades-long cruise, we might something capable of much shorter transfer times. Like a nuclear-powered electrical space probe bus of sorts, letting us place a new probe at Uranus/Neptune before our original one arrives.
>>
>>8776960
>before the original one arrive
>literally "why do something when someone else might do it for you for free" thinking
And this is why we can't have nice things.
>>
>>8776978
Yeah, it fucks up space exploration beyond Saturn. But we're on the right track now with stuff like VASIMR, which will hopefully open up the outer system to exploration.
>>
File: thor and the ice giants.png (190KB, 500x664px) Image search: [Google]
thor and the ice giants.png
190KB, 500x664px
>>8776291
Just let Thor take care of them
>>
Do they have any helium-3? Might be useful for fuel if they have less of the radiative assrape of Saturn and Jupiter.
>>
File: beavis.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
beavis.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
>>8776291
>>
>>8777023
How is that thing doing these days anyway? I remember som talk of putting a test-version on ISS, but no new info about it for a frmew years as far as i can tell
>>
>>8776291
Uranus mission will never get funded because SOME GERMAN GUY thought it was a good idea to name a planet Uranus.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.