[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the pattern here?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

File: Mensa IQ Test Problem.png (22KB, 405x468px) Image search: [Google]
Mensa IQ Test Problem.png
22KB, 405x468px
What is the pattern here?
>>
>>8773299
Top right
>>
>>8773305
What's your reasoning on it?
>>
>>8773299
>>8773309
not him, but you have 3 basic shapes, circle, triangle and boxy. look at flips around the horizontal and vertical axes. you have the complete circle, the circle flipped around two vertical axes, and then one with one half flipped. if you pay attention though, the right half that circle is also flipped along a horizontal axis. that explains the weird triangle shape. the top right square is the only one that fits the pattern for the others.
>>
Top right, maybe. Groups of 3 with the same length.

Or groups of 3 translated.

Maybe bottom right.

This is too hard for me.
>>
>>8773299
Mfw I have 135 from a test giving me number patterns and letter manipulation and worded pattern recognition. And have 122 from a test purely on graphical pattern recognition. Am I just bad with shapes? I'm a kinesthetic and Auditory learner, not a very visual person.
>>
>>8773324
Good explanation. Thanks
>>
>>8773299
I'd say bottom right
>>
>>8773299
You're just rotating one half of the shape above by 180degrees
>>
>>8773299
I took that test and got 122. Is that test even accurate?
>>
>>8773299
>see these kind of shit threads every day
>I always find out the logic and get the correct answer
>still too insecure to take an IQ test afraid of finding out i'm a brainlet.

I guess it's the same reason I remained a virgin until 25
>>
Its most likely top middle.

First three row is the basic shape template.
Second three row is basically top three row moved left left by 1 and then split in center and flipped horizontally in center.
Third three row is applying 180 degree rotation to each, but left->right->left->right model, this gets us the top middle. It could be left-right-up-down etc but neither up/down section are listed.
>>
Top right. This is a tricky one, since the problem tries to confuse you with the top row. The top row could be subtracted entirely and there would be no difference, since all the information is in the bottom two rows. From middle row to bottom row, the right side of the figure is flipped along its x axis, then y axis.
>>
File: r.png (20KB, 405x468px) Image search: [Google]
r.png
20KB, 405x468px
>>8773594
>second row
I meant right. Or top row moved left. Either way, I think people should be able to get what I mean.

Or as >>8773596 said, top row could be discarded entirely from the problem as its more of a distraction.
>>
File: 1488510710054.jpg (12KB, 166x303px) Image search: [Google]
1488510710054.jpg
12KB, 166x303px
link to test please, i know the answer to this question i want to try
>>
>>8773299
Three instances of each of the starting shapes.
The first instance is the shape by its itself (the triangle, circle, the u shaped square thing)
The second instance is the starting shape split in half, then each half is mirrored (upside down t, )( thing and sideways K)
Third instance is the starting shape cut in half, then the right half is rotated 180 degrees (CC, Weird triangle thing in the bottom middle, and the top right answer)
>>
>>8773990
>) (
>right side is rotated
>( (

The left is rotated tho. The right stayed same as above.

Also >>8773594
>>
>>8773299
on the bottom you flip the left circle, and turn it upside down, you flip the right of the triangle and turn it upside down, so i guess you flip the left L and turn it upside down. I'm gonna go with top middle.
>>
>>8773299
There is no pattern. Only a brainlet would think there is.
They measure the time you take on this specific problem. You should either select none, or immediately select a random one and continue.
>>
>>8774816
>t. brainlet
>>
>>8773299
column 1 going down: perpendicular, perpendicular, parallel
column 2 going down: closed shape, closed shape, open shape
column 3 going down. V opening upwards, Box opening upwards....the missing link should be a box opening downwards so I'm gonna go with bottom left shape as the answer

the bottom row defies the rules of the upper rows using the lines of the middle row
>>
File: Untitled.png (19KB, 405x480px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
19KB, 405x480px
>>8773299
I posted the answers to that test a while back. You should dig them up in the archives then brag about your 145+ IQ
>>
>>8773299
Do these go by column or row or both?
>>
File: 1488292686548.png (206KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
1488292686548.png
206KB, 306x306px
>>8777925
>>8773299
Oh I get it.
I thought they were just column/row which made it incomprehensible
>>
>>8773299
top middle
>3rd row, 1st column
rotates left half of (2nd row, 1st column) 180 degrees clockwise
>3rd row, 2nd column
rotates right half of (2nd row, 2nd column) 180 degrees counterclockwise
>3rd row, 3rd column
should rotate left half of (2nd row, 3rd column) 180 degrees clockwise
>>
someone prove me >>8778170 wrong, very curious
anyone have the answer key?
>>
>>8773299
there are 3 families of shapes in sequence. you start with two "halves" facing each other. then, the left half is reflected across the y-axis, and the right half is flipped along the x-axis. Then, from the resulting figure, do a rotation of the right half along the y-axis, then again along the x-axis.

The right answer is the third option, the one in the top right corner.
>>
>>8778170
Why would middle one be different?
I view it as just being transformations on the three base shapes, the circle, triangle, and open box.
One transformation is flipping both sides, the other is flipping right side twice.
>>
>>8778186
Note the triangular tiles. Carefully watch them.
>>
>>8778197
Do you study math?
>>
>>8778243
I majored in math and physics so yeah
why
>>
>>8773299
>bottom left
T H I C C
>>
>>8778429
>rotation
>flipped along axis
>reflected across axis

It's just indication your education can affect how (well) you do these tests. But of course, it could be just a coincidence.
>>
>>8778438
When I actually did that test (it was posted a day or two ago) I was actually visualizing twisting the different halves with my hands, I wasn't thinking about reflections about an axis too much. but you need to phrase things in a way that you can understand. But some education in math will obviously help you with Raven's matrices. I'm sure you can train for IQ tests to some extent.
>>
>throw a matrix of unlabelled squiggles
>this is supposed to measure intelligence somehow

There isn't even a question here. How would you even verify a "correct" answer? Only a fool would think this is a measure of brainpower.
>>
>>8773299
bottom left, without a doubt
>>
So whats correct answer?
>>
>>8778471
top right
>>
>>8777925
>>8777930
Are you suppoed to be more liberal in how to interpret patterns?

I remember having heard that the pattern is supposed to be applicable in all directions (or at least side-side and top-down)

Or rather, that the reasoning would still make sense if you transposed it and used the new cells with your old reasoning

I have seen ones that rather than mutate the above/previous cell, they combine/subtract/mutually exclude lines from the first and second in the third

and ones where the second square is some transformation applied to the first

so I guess ones that only work in a certain direction (say downwards and not leftwards) is fair too
>>
>>8778513
Not sure, last time I took one, might have been OP's website, the early/easy questions would do column or row patterns or like you describe subtract the second entry from the first entry to make third entry. I assume that all the questions would be by row or column which made the ones like OP's very confusing.
Look at it as a whole it actually makes sense.
>>
>>8778562
even some of the more complex later ones seemed to work in both directions but it has been a while
>>
>>8773299
http://test.mensa.no/
>>
>>8773299
top right or bottom right
>>
>>8779775
Why would it be bottom right? Doesn't match triangle.
>>
>>8777869
Wrong, if you flip the right part of the left-widdle tile, you don't get the left-bottom tile but a mirrored version of it.
>>
>>8779866
He color coded it wrong.
>>
File: 7q0x890y.jpg (45KB, 691x468px) Image search: [Google]
7q0x890y.jpg
45KB, 691x468px
>>
This doesn't make sense. Row 3 column 1 is right side flipped along a vertical axis, with the left side either still or flipped along a horizontal axis. Row 3 column 2 is right side flipped along a horizontal axis and left side flipped along a vertical axis; the actions taking the first row to the third row seems inconsistent to me. Can anyone explain?
>>
>>8779866
I know, just flip the arrows/colors, ( ) --> ( ( --> ) (
That was left in there intentionally so someone would "catch it" and reply to my post. I'm surprised this thread is sill active. Its seems like most people know the answer (top right aka 3rd answer)
>>
>>8779944
Well congratulations, you got your error "caught". What is the next step in your masterplan?
>>
>>8773299
It's top right. I would say the following: At first, you've the circle, the triangle and the square with the topline missing. The second step takes the right half and flips it 180 degrees. The third step takes the left half, flips it 180 degrees and mirrors the entire shape vertically.
>>
>>8779964
My next step is to chuckle at them for not noticing that the example(smiley face) is essentially a circle(the shape with the 'error').
>>
>>8773299
I'd go with E (down middle one)
>>
File: 100000khours.png (36KB, 1152x648px) Image search: [Google]
100000khours.png
36KB, 1152x648px
top right
180 rotation righthalf of the cup
>>
ITT
"intelligence"
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.