[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Space Colonization

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6

Do you believe humanity will ever colonize another planet? Another solar system?

Do you believe humanity will ever survive long enough to reach that point?

How do you think humanity would approach the colonization attempt? Small crew with embryos and artificial wombs or larger passenger vessels?

Do you believe that the majority of labor in a colonization attempt would be primarily automated or would the human element still remain?

Which nation is currently the best contender for first successful space colonization?

What do you believe are the biggest problems that we face when it comes to space colonization?

Would you be willing to join a space colonization attempt if the destination was a rather featureless planet like Mars?

What are some movies involving space colonization, either the journey there, the initial colonization, or years after?
>>
>Do you believe humanity will ever colonize another planet? Another solar system?
I would say 100 years for mars and our solar system in general and 200 years for outer solar system stuff, but both times pretty limited first unless we can find way to make it profitable (Space mining).
>Do you believe humanity will ever survive long enough to reach that point?
Unless a nuclear war happens, I`m pretty sure we will reach that point
>How do you think humanity would approach the colonization attempt? Small crew with embryos and artificial wombs or larger passenger vessels?
A mix of both,
>Do you believe that the majority of labor in a colonization attempt would be primarily automated or would the human element still remain?
The human element will definitly remain, but very much stuff will be automated simply to drive down labor cost
>Which nation is currently the best contender for first successful space colonization?
Currently the US and PRC if we talk about single nations, but considering how far in the future it would be, I wouldn't be surprised if it will be some african transnational space agency.
>What do you believe are the biggest problems that we face when it comes to space colonization?
Establishing a proper biosphere and the communication delay, especially outside the solar system.
>Would you be willing to join a space colonization attempt if the destination was a rather featureless planet like Mars?
Sure, it would be madness not to join such a project.
>>
>>8772481
>lets dump crazy amounts of resources into a mission that colonizes a place less habitable that the harshest desert in the world
>faster than light travel is possible! have you even seen interstellar?
>>
>>8772545
you must be 18 years of age or older to post on 4chan.org
>>
File: watdo.png (181KB, 1224x626px) Image search: [Google]
watdo.png
181KB, 1224x626px
>>8772481
Remember, #4 is the most important.
>>
>>8772481
>Do you believe humanity will ever colonize another planet? Another solar system?
Perhaps, but not in the foreseeable future
At the rate we're going, no
>How do you think humanity would approach the colonization attempt? Small crew with embryos and artificial wombs or larger passenger vessels?
Robotic crew with embryos designed to be grown in tanks. This attempt will probably fail because infant humans need socialization to develop language skills and display intelligence.
>Do you believe that the majority of labor in a colonization attempt would be primarily automated or would the human element still remain?
Automated
>Which nation is currently the best contender for first successful space colonization?
They are all equally worthless
>What do you believe are the biggest problems that we face when it comes to space colonization?
Radiation
>Would you be willing to join a space colonization attempt if the destination was a rather featureless planet like Mars?
Only if I get to come back to Earth and sign a lucrative book deal
>>
>>8772629
it's interesting and well written, but all I see are opinions.
>>
Not a fucking chance, we will kill ourselves long before the hopes of even colonizing even the closest planet would ever come to fruition.
I have doubts at this point that man will even step on another planet.
>>
File: Joe Rogan Experience.gif (2MB, 252x183px) Image search: [Google]
Joe Rogan Experience.gif
2MB, 252x183px
>>8772660
don't be so negative. it's bad for your health.
>>
Never if we keep electing selfish fuckers with no interest in science and progress as president. Also not if we keep fucking up our on planet.
>>
>>8772481
Yes. In the next two centuries probably if we don't go through another dark age
Seeing as we as countries are not as likely to use nukes as before, yes
I would suggest a crew that was in cryostasis along with embryos
It would mostly be automated with human technicians
The US and EU
The travel time and cosmic rays.
Nope. maybe after a few missions but not the first.
>What are some movies involving space colonization, either the journey there, the initial colonization, or years after?
Interstellar, The Martian
>>
>>8772481
No, not in a million years. The chinese problem will destroy earth.
>>
>>8772481
Technologically we could eventually colonize nearby galaxies I am certain of it.

In practice, the best of us are fond of diversity, and you can't have tyrone play the knockout games on the whole station by knocking out the oxygen farm.
>I dindu nuffin
>>
>>8775883
>tyrone in space
I can think of no valid reason for this.
>>
>>8775890
But I worry gay niggers from outer space is inivitable with the current mindset. Which of course will turn space exploration into a disaster.

Musk will probably speak well of diversity when in a few months his fellow south african whites are genocided. Or just about any faggot with a chance of letting us reach space.
>>
>>8775897
South African liberals fucking love it, are you kidding? They are diverse, a minority, satisfying their need for oppression points, helping niggers better themselves and contributing to the 'gray race'
>>
>>8775907
Kek that's kind of the problem though.

It doesn't look like the people who will be colonizing space with be Natsoc.
>>
>>8775910
see
>>8775864
No matter who wins control for the west or of the white influenced world, when the final war with china occurs they will win but we'll destroy the planet in the process.
>>
>>8775959
Chinese are already mobilizing. 99.5% of all reverse mortgage companies are owned by Chinese, so Americans are giving them their homes in exchange for a small amount of money, they are purchasing real estate as fast as papers can be signed, and they'll be able to own enough small arms to form their own militias. They've destroyed their own nation to the point where we would have to develop remarkable technology just to neutralize it let alone reverse it, and the rich don't care because they can buy a billion dollar home in LA.
>>
>>8772481
We may try to colonize mars, but it is more beneficial to build rotating habitats to get around the problems of low g.
>>
>>8772481
Yes, hopefully. Imagine a whole planet of people committed to a single goal...
Mars is a good first target, one less speed bump on the way to human extinction.

In the end we will lose of course, heat death of the universe is the final boss, and it can't be beaten. But another 10 billion+ years is still is sweet deal for the species and colonizing Mars, then other System bodies, then terraforming Mars, then colonizing extrasolar planets is the way we should go.

The sooner we start, the better. Odds are if we wait long enough some spatial calamity will end us, but to be honest I would bet on human beings destroying ourselves and our one blue basket long before that happens.

For all those who bitch about living in domed cities or module habs becuase you couldn't "feel the grass under your feet or wind in your face" BS there is a simple solution: stay here, others will go. With billions of people on Earth you shouldn't be surprised that many don't really care about the things you value; and if you're so nihilistic to ask "why should mankind persist anyway?" Kys, that's not hate so much as it is a reasonable response to that world view. If suicide disgusts you, maybe rethink your opposition to space colonization.
>>
>>8776025
Gundam meme shit
>>
>>8776045
Heat death is way further out than 10 billion years.
Like, insanely further out.
>>
>>8776059
Good thing there is a + sign.

But if we're going to be pedantic, by that much time whatever the fuck our descendants are, it will be difficult to call them human in any way that will probably make sense to us.
>>
>>8776071
It's just that your floor is nearly a thousand orders of magnitude below the actual.

That's like telling people you're at least one quintillionth of a second old when they ask you your age. When they give you a funny look in response it's not a product of pedantry on their part.
>>
>>8772481
I think eventually humans will TRY to colonize another planet.
Whether they manage to actually do it is a different question.
>>
We'll build a research post on Mars and a rotating space station in the orbit but that's about it. Space is too hostile for large scale colonization, we'll mostly just send robots to explore and mine asteroids. Interstellar travel seems pretty unlikely to ever work but maybe we'll try it out when the planet is about to die. In any case the future isn't going to be star wars
>>
>>8776126
Unless we have large scale space colonization mining asteroids is a waste of time and resources, it's easier to just use or recycle those available on Earth.
>>
>>8772481
>Do you believe humanity will ever colonize another planet?
If we survive Trump, yes.

>Another solar system?
Not bloody likely. Unless a loophole (wormhole?) is found in the lawes of physics, the distances are insurmountable.

Maybe. Trump's brinkmanship with North Korea is a wildcard in terms of humanity's longevity.

As it will be within our solar system, no need for exotic methods. It will be gradually. Crews of constructor colonzizers at first, later come breeding adults.

Very much human element, but lots of pre-fab, ready-to-assemble structures. Lifting materials into space is still expensive, and it would be important to get materials there first. If we start mining and processing, then machinery/robotics become essential. Lots of 3D printing!

China.

Long-term exposure to deep space radiation, atrophy of bone material, the need to create pressurized structures, and psychological trauma from isolation.

Yes, but I'm too old (60) to provide good return on the investment of sending me.

>What are some movies involving space colonization, either the journey there, the initial colonization, or years after?
2001, The Expanse, The Martian, .. Surely you can look that up.
>>
>>8776148
I don't like Trump, but he has refocused NASA on human space exploration thankfully. Liberals don't really care about science unless it's climatology to add reaffirm global warming or medicine for entitlements. Conservatives are even less interested in science, but space exploration can be attached to nationalism, which they do like. It's a dumb reason to go to Mars, but whatever works.
>>
>>8776148
>(60)
You're a cool old man, cool old man.
>>
>People are already living past 100+.
>There is a high chance humanity getting longevity treatments and rejuvenation medicine out to fight aging to make people biologically immortal in a few decades.
>If you don't by randomness, there is a high chance you will see colonization of another planet.
>There is a high chance you won't really be human anymore.
Best timeline.
>>
>>8776358
Won't happen. Economics and or bureaucracy will stop both.
>>
Yes but not until we've deal with the conservitards one way or another. Humanity should have already been unified and much better of had it not been for them.
>>
>>8776589
maybe they should be left to their own devices while the rest of humanity ventures off to the stars. perhaps that's what the bible means by "the meek shall inherit the earth"
>>
>>8772481
Yes and Yes. >Do you believe humanity will ever survive long enough to reach that point?
You'd need a global catastrophe at this point to stop us.
Transhumanism. Fix aging, genetic engineering, cyborgs, ect... If we can't age a 200 years journey is no problem.
Mostly automated.
USA
Cost and Ethics.
Not at the moment.
Ask /tv/
>>
>>8776577
>bureaucracy
I can see it

>Economics
Why? Imagine the $$$ if your company sells rejuvenation treatments.
>>
>>8776629
>Imagine the $$$ if your company sells rejuvenation treatments.
Eternal life for the richest.
Eternal slavery for the rest?
>>
>>8776633
>slavery
Savagery.
Why would anyone want to use these lazy inefficient meatbags that run on carcases and are useless for the first and last 20 years of their life for labor?
>>
>>8776137
>a single near earth asteroid has literally trillions of dollars worth of minerals
>waste of time
>>
>>8776158
Shut up /pol/ and fuck you.
>>
>>8776981
What if it's just made of gold, which has barely any practical application but is very valuable. Would it be wise to extract it?
>>
>>8776158
NASA's "focus" was never the problem
NASA's design decisions for their vehicles was always the problem

They could be as focused as they want, the SLS will never send a person to mars, or even to the moon
>>
>>8772481
No as long as jews exist we will never advance, all they do is slowly destroy us.
>>
>>8776981
>hurr the dirt in my backyard is worth billions
>>
>>8776629
OK so is Ferrari losing money because they won't sell me one for $5?

The drug/procedure or whatever will be made illegal, "unapproved", or you simply will never be able afford it.
>>
>>8777503
>OK so is Ferrari losing money because they won't sell me one for $5?
I hope you're only pretending to be a brainlet.
A Ferrari is a luxury item, it's main goal is peacocking. It's supposed to cost more money than it's worth.
However most people can afford a shitty Honda. You've got cars for all kinds of price classes. Ferrari just fills a niche.

There exists a golden ratio for each product. too expensive and not enough people will buy it, to cheap and you're loosing money.
This is econ 101.

If it does end up being expensive it's because the treatment is genuinely expensive, not because large profit margins or "the rich will keep it to themselves".
However like most technology it will probably decrease in cost with time.
>>
>>8775883
This is the best thing I've read all day
>>
>>8772653
Unfortunately, everything is an opinion when you get right down to it.

After reading over a decade of 4chan, blogs, and bullshit online then reading some old books I find that the old books actually read like blog posts. Every time I'm reading a non-fiction book I'm constantly wanting to counter points in it and looking for a source for their info. But, it always ends up feeling like a blog.

It kind of takes the punch out of how cool books were for me at one time.

>reply is too long
>>
File: Untitled.png (524KB, 1856x601px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
524KB, 1856x601px
>>8775890
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_black_astronauts

>Huston, we gotta- hol up.
>>
If UFO sightings are at all to be taken seriously, motherships may be more beneficial than vulnerable, stationary planets. Natural disasters, destructive technology are all very real threats and it would make far more sense for any sensible species to exist on a ship controlled by an ever-present intelligence.

However, yes of course we will live on other planets if given enough time and opportunity.
>>
>>8777879
There is mark shuttleworth, the ubuntu guy. Oh wait, hes african but not black lul.
>>
>>8777879
>these people are move successful than me
>fucken niggers
>>
>>8777103
>hurr i'm gay
>>
>>8773801
>nation
>EU
>>
>>8772481
Not beyond a few close planets. I believe by the time (if ever) we go beyond that, we won't really be human anymore. Once we get to a certain point, like just being a collective consciousness with no real form, just information. Colonising anything will probably be irrelevant and uninteresting. We'll just exist in our own fantasy land.
>>
>>8780912
DNA is information
>>
File: 1488837699217.jpg (68KB, 600x512px) Image search: [Google]
1488837699217.jpg
68KB, 600x512px
Humanity can only afford to colonize space if they hit rock bottom. And by then there wont be the capital to put into those shit huge orbital cylinders.

All these probes and rovers chucked into the sky for the last few decades are just that and will be just that for a very very long time i reckon.

My only hope right now is that aliens come and school humanity on light-speed travel
>>
>>8781957
>and will be just that for a very very long

We have a mandatory timeline set for manned Mars mission in less than 3 decades, and using a moonbase as a step to get there has been gaining a lot of support lately.
>>
>>8781960
>mandatory
Can you explain how it will be paid for? Mandatory implies it will happen no matter what, i will believe it if the money has been accounted for right this moment and that every other detail has been worked out, i doubt it and 30 years is like a sitting pres making promises that depend on the assumption theyd be reelected.
>>
>>8781974
I'm pretty sure they have already begun allocating funds to the project, but I am too lazy to google the exact numbers.
>>
When it becomes economically viable. Which is never, since other planets don't really offer anything Earth doesn't already have, beyond the novelty.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.