[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

formal proof

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

>mfw you cannot possibly prove 5 is a real number (it's not)
>>
do your own homework brainlet
>>
>>8771757
proof by contradiction. Suppose 5 is not real. Then sqrt(5) could not be real either. But sqrt(5) is real. Therefore 5 is real.
>>
>>8771774
Lol what. How does sqrt have to be real?
>>
>>8771774
This is so stupid, you're using so much more information past the thing op is trying to prove.

You're using the corollary "the square root of a real positive number is real" which requires a loot of machinery to prove; for example the square root of a real negative number is not real

In a larger sense, any answer to OP's question is retarded, since he is asking for a proof of a definition.

We define the set of real numbers to include 5, therefore 5 is a real number.
>>
>>8771954
>We define the set of real numbers to include 5, therefore 5 is a real number.
this is false btw
>>
>>8771757
The following sequence of rationals converges to 5:
the sequence is 5, 5, 5, 5, 5....
therefore 5 is real
>>
>>8771774
suppose -5 is not real
then sqrt(-5) could not be real either, which is true
hence, -5 is not real
>>
File: Checkmate Atheists.png (68KB, 485x383px) Image search: [Google]
Checkmate Atheists.png
68KB, 485x383px
>>
>>8772108
/thread
>>
>>8771757
You can build R as the quotient space of all classes of Cauchy sequences in Q with the relationship of having the same limit
You can build Q as the quotient space of all classes of ordered couples of whole numbers (a,b) with (a,b)~(c,d) if ad=bc
You can build Z as N + all the additive inverses of N
N is defined as a set with these properties:
0 is a natural number.
Every natural number has a successor.
0 is not the successor of any natural number.
If the successor of x equals the successor of y, then x equals y.
If a statement is true of 0, and if the truth of that statement for a number implies its truth for the successor of that number, then the statement is true for every natural number

S(0)=1, S(1)=2, S(2)=3, S(3)=4, S(4)=5
5 is a natural number => 5 is a whole number => 5 is a rational number => 5 is a real number
>>
>>8772110
brainlet.
>>
>>8772480
tl;dr
>>
>>8772480
>0 is a natural number.
>Every natural number has a successor.
>0 is not the successor of any natural number.

u fukn w0t
>>
>>8772544
nevermind, i am retard

i thought the second clause of the definition was "every natural number is a successor (of a natural number)"

pls keep me out of academia
>>
>>8772110
>one way implication
>>
>>8771757
consider the sequence 5,5,5,5,5.....
QED
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.