[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

zero to the power zero is one

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: dunce.jpg (5KB, 182x249px) Image search: [Google]
dunce.jpg
5KB, 182x249px
I'm not very clever /sci/, and I don't understand why 0 raised to the power 0 is 1.

It's easy to show how any number greater or equal to 1 produces 1 when raised to the power 0, take for example 2.

[math] 1 = \frac{2}{2} = \frac{2^1}{2^1} = 2^{1-1} = 2^0 [/math]

This obviously cannot work if we want to show that 0 to the power 0 is 1, since it's false that

[math] 1 = \frac{0}{0} [/math]

How can it be shown that

[math] 1 = 0^0 [/math]
>>
0^0 = x implies log (0^0)=log x

but log (0^0)=0*log(0)=0

so log x=0
so x=1
>>
You can't prove it. [math] 0^0 [/math] is not defined. However [math]\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} x^x [/math] can be shown to be 1.
>>
>>8769169
this implies, first, that you can take the log of 0^0, second that 0*log0=0, assuming, again, that log0 is defined.

This is the proper way:

let x>0, x^x=y>0. Then log(x^x)=log(y). So xlogx=logy. Take the limit x to 0. Since polynomial decrease is faster than logarithmic decrease (can show this via Taylor series, well known result), then the limit is 0. Hence logy=0 so e^0=y=1.
Q.E.D.
>>
>>8769178
0^0 is defined as 1.
>>
>>8769185
according to whom?
Certainly not anyone who has actually thought about it for more than a fraction of a second
>>
Is there really no value that can be assigned to division by 0 that has consistent properties?
>>
>>8769187
It's the convention used by mathematicians.
>>
>>8769192
Are you sure you're not mixing it up with factorials?
>>
It's not defined, but most mathematicians define it such that x^0=1 for all x.

It's not defined because x^0 and 0^x approach different values as x-> 0.
>>
>>8769208
No it is the convention, but for no good reason it seems. Mathematicians are aware that it's undefined, but they want to keep their math pretty.

http://www.math.utah.edu/~pa/math/0to0.html
>>
File: maclaurin_ex03[1].png (3KB, 462x134px) Image search: [Google]
maclaurin_ex03[1].png
3KB, 462x134px
>>8769208
0^0 needs to be 1 or taylor series' doesn't work when x=0.
>>
>>8769228
>http://www.math.utah.edu/~pa/math/0to0.html
Nowhere there does it say that it is the convention.

It shows the two possible values but because those two are contradictory, none of them can really be accepted.
>>
>>8769220
One seldom needs limit 0^x but limit x^0 is widely used so we can 'define' 0^0=1
>>
>>8769241
>>8769242

Likewise for the Binomial Theorem. If we assume x=1 and y=0, it will only work if we assume 0^0=1.

[math] (1+0)^n = 1 = \sum_{k=0}^{n} \binom {n} {k}1^k0^{n-k} = \binom {n} {n}1^n0^0 = 1 [/math]
>>
>>8769250
Those are good points but if this was convention I would have heard of it before this thread.
>>
>>8769245
As Knuth said, "the function 0^x is quite unimportant."
>>
An empty product is always the neutral element of multiplication.
>>
>>8769253
>if this was convention I would have heard of it before this thread
It never arose as a problem for the work you had to do, and that's because teachers avoid those types of problems.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.