[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Microbiology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1000986.jpg (46KB, 478x434px) Image search: [Google]
1000986.jpg
46KB, 478x434px
I was looking at a colony of Euglena using a light microscope and then I applied a drop of detergent to the slide and noticed that they started moving backwards + they stopped using their flagellum to move and instead moved like earthworms. Anyone have any ideas as to why?
>>
They're dying
>>
File: parkeet.jpg (52KB, 564x510px) Image search: [Google]
parkeet.jpg
52KB, 564x510px
>>8768708
Are they still doing that or did they just fade out into a motionless state? I am actually intrested.
>>
The solution might disable their ability to use flagellum, other than that I don't fucking know they might be dying.
>>
>>8768806
Maybe if energy sources are scarce?
I can believe it pulls some effort to keep their flagullum spinning.
>>
>>8768791
OP here, phone was dead. I don't actually know. I was observing them for about 45 minutes and could not find any motionless cells.
>>
>>8768894
Very true. However, the Euglena on the slide were swimming around in a medium so I don't think that's it
>>
>>8768708
>detergent

Detergent is a xenoestrogen. Thats all i know.

Lol maybe flagella work on testosterone.
>>
>>8768806
Is it possible for the detergent to cause lysis? Aka breaking down the celll membrane
>>
What's in the detergent. That's like the first piece of information you should provide us. Detergent is like.. the broadest of terms to describe detergent.
>>
Microbio is such boring shit.
I'm a biochem major. When do I get into cool stuff like metabolic pathways of chemicals in the body and gene splicing?
>>
>>8769565
I don't have a bottle available right now. It's a washing-up liquid, and Fairy is the brand.
>>
>>8769586
Metabolic pathways like glycolysis, krebs cycle, DNA synthesis, amino acid metabolism should all be handled in a classic biochem course.
Gene splicing (are you kidding) is part of courses handling DNA and genetics and some molecular biology. It's basic knowledge that'll be used throughout your biochem career.

Like, I got info about both your topics of interes in a course about molecular biology of plants for example.
But I also got the same thing when I learned about the biodiversity of micro organisms.
>>
>>8769593
Looking it up it states:
LISTED INGREDIENTS
15-30% Anionic surfactants, 5-15% Nonionic
surfactants, Perfume, Geraniol, Limonene

Anionic surfactants could interfere with the protons or other kations by disrupting the establishment of the PMF (or other mechanism) needed to drive the flagella is my best guess
>>
>>8769514
I really wouldn't know, I believe >>8769625 could be right. But for the rest
>>
>>8769625
I see. Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated.
>>
Pretty impressive that they had a backup locomotive action.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.