[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chemistry -- How does "extraction" work?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_2179.jpg (104KB, 1024x904px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2179.jpg
104KB, 1024x904px
Anybody /chemistry/ here?

-- --

What is the basic gestalt of extraction?

What are some basic solvents and techniques that are used for this purpose?

What chemical properties do you need to pay attention to?

Most importantly, when attempting to extract a certain chemical from a substance, how do you avoid bringing in unwanted chemicals, especially unknown chemicals in the substance that haven't identified thanks to the lack of MS-GLC analyses and etc.?

Furthermore, if wanted to learn more about these processes, what subfields of chemistry should I study?

-- --

I know general chemistry, a smidgen of organic chemistry, and a smidgen of analytical chemistry. I understand how the structure of molecules determines polarity/nonpolarity and how this affects intermolecular forces. What I don't understand is how people aren't killing themselves by accidentally and/or unknowingly extracting, let's say, a neurotoxin from a plant with promising medicinal purposes for a biotech industry.

This question was inspired by the "how2synthesizeLSD" thread that was recently deleted, but I'm not interested in drugs insofar as I'm interested in how ANY sort of extraction works, whether you're extracting caffeine from coffee beans to DMT from a mimosa plant.
>>
Delete the pepe and I'll answer this
>>
File: IMG_0971.gif (3MB, 219x200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0971.gif
3MB, 219x200px
>>8767658
>>
>>8767663
Sucks homie, guess you'll just have to google the questions you're looking for all by yourself.
>>
>>8767619
I can't answer your other questions but
>What I don't understand is how people aren't killing themselves by accidentally and/or unknowingly extracting, let's say, a neurotoxin from a plant with promising medicinal purposes for a biotech industry.
That's the entire point of preclinical development, but more generally it's because modern drug discovery is done through high-throughput screening and lead generation followed by synthesizing any promising compounds before it's even used on anything as large as a rat.
>>
>>8767667

Boo hoo.

>>8767675

That's what I figured. It seems like every single plant could have random variations in its chemical makeup. I guess the most popular "medicinal herbs", like coffee, quinine, etc., just happen to have beneficial chemicals while lacking deadly chemicals in sufficient, or even detectable, quantities no matter what.
>>
>>8767699
dumbest thing ive read

study, read books, and learn before writing stupid shit
>>
>>8767838

Who shat on your dinner plate today?
>>
>>8767675
you extract, then you take an nmr to confirm what you have, then you recrystallize it so it comes out pure.
>>
First off, kill yourself for using pepe. Everybody outside of /b/, /v/, /r9k/, and /pol/ thinks less of you for using it, and you only out yourself as retarded for using it.

Anyways,
>Extraction
I think you mean separating and purifying.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_process
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_purification_methods_in_chemistry

>unknown chemicals in the substance that haven't identified thanks to the lack of MS-GLC analyses
>Perform NMR, MS, GLC, etc. on your sample
>Results are different than expected
>Separate and purify your sample using different methods, re-analyze sample to determine the impurity
>Impurity is unrecognized, congrats you found a new chemical

>what subfields of chemistry should I study?
Probably materials chemistry, biochemistry, and chemical engineering

>how people aren't killing themselves by accidentally and/or unknowingly extracting, let's say, a neurotoxin from a plant with promising medicinal purposes for a biotech industry.
We can identify specific molecules and their structures with all of the analyses we have today. It's not like we separate and purify a sample and say "Yep that's 100% the chemical we're looking for" without testing it to make sure that's what it is.
>>
File: image.jpg (44KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44KB, 480x360px
>>8768153

What kinds of separation and purification techniques are most common, for what chemicals are they used for, and how do they work to get the desired chemical?
>>
god everyone in this thread is retarded

extractions involve separating mixtures of compounds by washing the mixture with a solvent that only dissolves certain molecules, either leaving behind your molecule of interest or taking up your molecule of interest in the solvent.

This is usually done by washing the mixture with an organic solvent to only take up organic molecules, leaving behind any salts or inorganic compounds. From there, you can perform further extractions by using acid/base chemistry to put a charge on your molecule, allowing you to take the molecule out of the organic layer by washing with water.

Extractions work well for reactions with few side-products and for reactions that produce an easily ionized species (for example amination would allow you to easily protonate the amine, making it quick to isolate by the procedure described above). Sometimes they don't separate EVERYTHING, in which case you use other techniques such as recrystallization or chromatography
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.