[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

help I'm retarded

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: kilowatts.jpg (10KB, 276x183px) Image search: [Google]
kilowatts.jpg
10KB, 276x183px
So I'm idly sitting here thinking. I argue with my family a lot regarding the electric bill. We use these special soft white LED bulbs that, while they imp and replace 40 watt lights, only consume about 6 watts to produce the same amount of light.

And still, while my family likes leaving the gigantic fucking televisions running while they sleep, they're still absolutely anal regarding switching these rinky dink lights off when you're out of a room.

So I thought about it. Exactly how much would it cost to run a single 6 watt LED bulb, 24/7, for a year?

Well. A watt is a joule per second. There are sixty seconds in a minute, sixty minutes in an hour, twenty four hours in a day, three hundred and sixty five days in a year. Or 31,536,000 seconds.

Times 6, that should be joules consumed in light. Or 189,216,000 joules.

But then I got to kilowatt hours, and don't really get how to reduce this. How many kWh is that? I'm trying to figure out how many kilowatt hours it'd be per light bulb

The entire purpose of this, of course, is just to definitely hand my family the exact amount of money it'd cost per year just to tell them to stop being so fucking ridiculous about leaving the lights on or off.
>>
>>8767521
you could literally go on any website that sells lights and they tell you what the yearly operating cost is based on x amount of hours of usage per day.
>>
>>8767521
6*24*365 = total kwh used in 1 year
multiply result by cost per kwh
>>
>>8767521
you tard, a kWh is literally one thousand kilowatts for an hour. So we go 6W * 1kW/1000W * 365 * 24 h = 52.56 kWh
>>
>>8767531
6*24*365\1000 = total kwh used in 1 year
multiply result by cost per kwh

for example, i pay 25c\kwh
if i run a single 6wh light for 24hrs a day, every day for a year, it would cost me around $13.14
>>
>>8767534
>>8767541
Thank you gentlemen.

Alright. At ¢17.59/kWh
and 52.56 kWh per year.
¢17.59 * 52.56 kWh = ¢924.5304
¢924.5304/100 for dollars

That one bulb costs $9.24 a year.
or ¢39.00 a day.

So supposing I just went ahead and pretended every single light in the house was going to be on 24/7/365 because I fucking feel like having them on, and we have about 28 sockets for bulbs in the house (vanity mirrors in two bathrooms, outside lights)

that'd come out to about $260.00 dollars/year just to get my family to shut the fuck up about the god damned house lights.
>>
>>8767589
$260 dollars saved by something trivial like flipping a switch as you leave a room seems like a good deal to me.
>>
>>8767596
It's more about principle. When you live with petty dictators that act like you owe them a liver if they buy you a coke you didn't ask for, who then go on a histrionic tangent justifying something out of you for this "favor" they just did you, you try to minimize how many ways they think you owe them for something.

If I'm contributing in more money than can possibly be spent by my consumption, for water, lights, power for appliances, then there's not a god damned thing they can say about my unlimited use of said utilities. Because they aren't paying for the extra, and I've already thrown the money in their faces for what I MIGHT use that year. Or decade. Or century. Depending how much I want to spot up front.
>>
>>8767521
LED lights are the least of your family's concerns. You should tell them to stop using the fridge, washer/dryer, hair dryers, and stove (if it's a pleb-tier electric stove), and computers. You know, things that actually consume an appreciable amount of energy.
>>
>>8767639
I have, and do.

They aren't worried about all the electricity *they* consume. They use the electricity I consume as a mark against me. In their world, a huge amount of the electricity used in the house is somehow the lights I apparently leave on, not their own spending habits.

In reality, the electricity bill is usually around $200 a month. At ¢17.59 per kilowatt hour.

We have.. one 51" LED television, two computers (and similarly, two monitors) on 24/7, a fridge, an electric stove, an energy saver certified washer, a dryer that is not (but we mostly hang clothes out on racks and air dry them)

In the summer, the old lady cannot be comfortable in the house unless she has an air conditioner going in the living room. A second one is often going for another family member.

These fucking assholes go through electricity like fat kids eat cake, and they're on my ass for not shutting off fucking 6 watt light bulbs the very second I leave a room. Go fig.
>>
>>8767674
http://energyusecalculator.com/electricity_lcdleddisplay.htm
Given the $/kWh cost you posted, that screen sucks about $100 watts. If they leave it on 8 hours per day it's around 50$ a year.
As an estimate of course, there are more and less efficient products.

That $200 a month is probably mostly heavy-use appliances, heating/cooling and food cookery. I'm unsure of how many % of an hour the elements in an electric stove is "on" when set to full blast, but they easily give off 2-3 kW when on full. If you cook with that for an hour you can assume it's active at least half the time, giving you something like fifteen hours of screen use for one hour of food cooking.
>>
>>8767674
it sounds like you come from a retarded lower class family. just offer your dad to pay your share of the electric bill, that will shut him the fuck up.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.