[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rogue open access journals

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: Please respond.png (37KB, 1485x790px) Image search: [Google]
Please respond.png
37KB, 1485x790px
Does anyone else get spammed to fucking death by rogue open access journals?

Pic related (also pretty /sci// related in general). I get at least 10 of these a day.

These journals often perform little to no peer review, and charge a lot for publications. This is the flip side of open access: it provides the wrong incentive to publishers. Instead of selecting articles for quality, they are incentivized to accept everything, and as quickly as possible, because that's the source of income (rather than subscriptions).

Discuss.
>>
>>8766188
yeah me too. it started after I signed in at a huge conference some years ago. I guess they sold my data to those cheap rat shops. sucks really really bad.
>>
>>8766205
That's pretty bad, pretty sure you could sue them for that. It's also possible that your email address got listed on their website somewhere, I'm pretty sure these rogue journals use web crawlers to find email addresses.

For me it started after publishing a high impact paper, where my email address is listed as the address of correspondence.
>>
Everyone who has ever published a paper or conference presentation gets spammed by open access journals on the email address printed on the paper. Deal with it.
>>
>>8766227
>Deal with it.
You mean to say that this doesn't aggravate you?
>>
File: enhanced-1956-1416795158-1.png (217KB, 625x417px) Image search: [Google]
enhanced-1956-1416795158-1.png
217KB, 625x417px
I think you know what you have to do
>>
>>8766188
>autism open access
>please kindly respond
kek
>>
>>8766258
yeah I considered that one
>>
>>8766250
It does. But I'm not going to be able to change it any more than any other kind of spam, so there's little point in raging about it.
>>
>>8766271
Fair enough.

But I guess this thread was intended more for a discussion about the open access busyness model in general, rather than just spam emails from open access journals.
>>
I was thinking to ask my department's IT guy to disable my email account for like two weeks or so, so the fake journals get mailer daemon reply errors. And then they would remove me from their lists, and then I would activate my email account afresh. But then again, this wont work neither.
>>
>>8766596
plus you'll lose two weeks worth of non-spam emails
>>
I also get lots of emails with stupid invitations to speak at fake conferences in China and Slovenia. Not to mention that nonsense 'who is publishing in my domain' email service, and that weird social network for scientists that uses names of my coworkers in the re: line to lure me.
>>
>>8766227

Imagine what a big author like this guy's email must be like

http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/pickover/pubb.html
>>
Do you literally not know how to mark the message as spam?
>>
>>8767223
of course I do, but if I have to mark an email as spam 10 times a day it gets annoying real quick
>>
>>8766271
Nobody here is raging.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.