[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is autodidactism a meme in 2017?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

Is autodidactism a meme in 2017?
>>
>>8760408
nope, its more viable then over before! assuming your not a brainlet
>>
>>8760408
mostly. something like >>8760240 is the best way to go since you'll be trusted but still self learn and do your own exploration into your field of study which 95% of students don't do because they're morons who don't even care and think they just need to get an A in their classes like the sheep they are with no thought put into what they're truly learning. i would not trust someone that just read some textbooks in their bedroom to help me design a nuclear power plant or something.

t. professional engineer - nuclear
>>
>>8760408
Nope, the Internet has an ever-increasing body of knowledge in the form of excellent texts, lectures (though fucking blind people are getting many of these removed from the Internet through abuse of the ADA), and interactive resources. There has never before been a time in human history when so much information has been so freely available.
>>
>>8760423
lol, nobody learns anything substantial from the internet.
>>
>>8760423
Binge watching lectures won't work on a resume.
>>
>>8760420
>engineer
Your entire profession is literally the "left as an excercise to the reader" part.
>>
>>8760423
Can you elaborate on the ADA thing? What the fuck?
>>
>>8760787
>resume

Start your own business, wagecuck.
>>
>>8760408
No, however there are things you simply cannot learn as an autodidact.
In a university you have access to labs, infrastructure and resources a normal person does not have access to.
Sure you can read about them in a book, but it's not exactly the same.
>>
>>8760408
Nope. Just don't fall for one source only. But a true autodidact will keep digging. It's in its nature. And we scare brainlest. Because we understand as for they just learn facts. A brainlet is useless without a master. We autodidacts are both our own teacher and student.
>>
>>8760912
Right, so you need to test it in real life. But mostly you know why you take the steps you take, in stead of just doing it because a teacher tells you to.
>>
>>8760912
This. Autodidacts are usually code monkeys who think that because they learned programming in java or something by themselves that means they can learn advanced maths, physics, chemistry etc.
It's just not possible unless you are literally Ted Kaczynski.
>>
>>8760885
Americans with Disabilities Act
Someone sued a school because there weren't any sub titles on every single lecture video. They won, and were forced to remove every single lecture. Other schools are per-emtivly following suit.
>>
>>8760918
True, a lecture or lab work is no replacement for actual effort on the part of the student.

Going to university is 90% autodidactism. Personally I don't go to the lectures very often since I rarely learn from that way of teaching(not that I have the time anyway since I work full time).
Comparing 3 hours of studying vs 3 hours of lecture I learn far more from the former.

>>8761001
It's hilarious, I was reading this thread on twitter earlier about asking a someone to invert a binary tree on a blackboard on a job interview is stupid since "you barely ever have to do it" and "you can just google it" or "you can just learn it on the job".

What they don't understand is that it shows a clear lack of understanding of data structures and recursion. And it's not like trees are uncommon.

It's not that it's impossible to gain knowledge if you don't go to school, it's that a lot of these self thought people have huge gabs in their knowledge.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.