[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you brought back Euler, Gauss, Godel how would they compare

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Leonhard_Euler.jpg (108KB, 461x602px) Image search: [Google]
Leonhard_Euler.jpg
108KB, 461x602px
As a thought experiment, say you could bring back Euler, Gauss, Godel in the modern mathematical landscape and gave them time to get caught up to more mathematical knowledge. How would they compare to Tao and Witten?
>>
It would be gamble, they would surpass them cognitively (considering what they have to work with in their times), but not necessary contribute anything spectacular (like other praised math prodigies today).
>>
They should be brought back as kids, I doubt they could have the mental plasticity as adults to completely understand some concepts when they have been working all their lifes with lower level maths and different notation.
>>
>>8759839
You are wrong. As a child you can only develop thought process. Even at old age they would have no troubles understand difficult concepts.
>>
>>8759839
not to mention that it is also a wrong assumption, because vast majority of people who study math start to learn modern math at age of 20 or even later.
>>
>>8759855
Really? My performance was okay in school but I never applied myself properly. I have worked odd jobs here and there and was thinking of trying for mechanical engineering. Could I make it as a decent engineer? My IQ was tested by a psychologist at 138 in high school, don't know if that counts for too much though.
>>
>>8759855
I started learning advance math in my late 20s despite barely passing higher level math courses in my early 20s. Somehow my brain has matured dramatically and difficult concepts from those courses are much more natural to me now. I'm able to do more serious mathematics at this point in my life. Trying to figure out how to offset my earlier troubles since my transcripts are permanent. I am going back to school for CS, but theoretical CS.... I keep going back to algebra/category theory and the like. I figure if I keep on following this pure math track and impress the right people I'll be able to offset my past and get into a good graduate school.
>>
>>8759811
Gödel is a modern mathematician. He'd still be among the most brilliant minds today.

The other two as well. They are still more intelligent than almost everyone alive today.

You have to realize, they were alive just 300 years ago. There's really no difference between them and humans today... if they were born today with their talents, they'd still be at the head of the pack.
>>
>>8759878
you don't need modern math as engineer, just good old calculus and nowadays almost no engineer works with pen and paper anymore, just for the sake of errors.
>>
>>8760029
I did calculus in high school. How much difficulty is there with thermodynamics and the like? Is engineering really that hard?
>>
>>8760212
The math in most engineering is not hard. There's a lot of other things in engineering though.
>>
>>8759928
>You have to realize, they were alive just 300 years ago. There's really no difference between them and humans today... if they were born today with their talents, they'd still be at the head of the pack.

What about the Flynn effect?
>>
>>8759811
Euler and Gauss begin like Grothendieck or Erdős,insane hardworking.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.