[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Disappearing Sun

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: sun-04.jpg (677KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
sun-04.jpg
677KB, 2048x2048px
If the sun disappeared in an instant, would the earth leave the sun's orbit and continue off in a straight-line path before the last of the sunlight reached us?

argue
>>
>>8758952
It would take about 8 minutes until the earth flew off on a tangent.
>>
>>8758961
so, a disturbance in gravity will move out at the same rate as the speed of light? Would this be the same as the gravity waves they detected recently?
>>
>>8758969
Yes and yes.
>>
https://warosu.org/sci/thread/S8737421
>>
>>8758969
Yeah the speed of light is not just an arbitrary speed that photons happen to go, it is literally the speed that all causality propagates through the universe. It's hard to explain, but information being transmitted faster would permit time travel and subsequently paradoxes.
>>
>>8760310
Look up quantum entanglement anaonfag. Instantaneous information transfer does exist and has been observed.
>>
Imagine if this happened.

Imagine the mother of all chimp outs that would ensue.
>>
File: 1489908214144.jpg (40KB, 500x587px) Image search: [Google]
1489908214144.jpg
40KB, 500x587px
>>8760350
>quantum entanglement
>Instantaneous information transfer
ahhahahaha evryteim ahhahaahaahhaaha
>>
>>8760389
Could humanity survive? The earth would still contain a lot of geothermal energy that could keep us going for millions of years right?
>>
>>8760508
No, without the sun all plants and trees would die.

>>8760350
quantum entanglement =/ information transfer
(you) better look it up
>>
>>8760554
>No, without the sun all plants and trees would die.
We can create lights to simulate the sun though.
>>
>>8760564
Forests and pot aren't grown the same.
>>
>>8758952

At the same time, gravity propagates at the speed of light.
>>
>>8760350

Imagine I have a $5 bill and a $10 dollar bill, and I put one in each of two blank envelopes, then mix them up so I don't know which is which. I then give one envelope to you, and one to another faggot, and tell you to travel to opposite sides of the Universe. When you get there, and open your envelope, you immediately know what the OTHER envelope contains, and vice versa. This is the nature of the "instant information" entanglement allows, you can't use it to send a message.
>>
>>8760389

I've thought for years that it would make a great disaster movie. Might be a bit bleak since there's no possibility that anyone survives, and you'd better have an interesting way to shoot scenes set in darkness, but I could see Roland Emmerich fucking the idea up horribly in some dumb summer blockbuster adaptation.
>>
>>8760730
Old pasta. It's as shit now as it was then.
>>
>>8760734

What part of the analogy didn't you understand, because it's pretty close to a perfect description of entanglement.
>>
>>8760564
I'm not a biologist so I don't know if it's possible to grow a large number of plants with artificial light, but if it was you probably could maintain a small human poplulation in subterran caverns. With the temerature on the surface dropping way below freezing quickly, billions would die in any case.
>>
>>8760736
>>8760730
You just decribed how it would be if hidden variables existed.
They don't though.
>>
>>8760508
If we could prepare, say a hundred years, then I guess we really could survive. Not in the numbers we have right now, but some of us could. Problem is that humanity is not very good at handling situations of this scale. No matter how obvious the evidence is that it's going to happen, there will always be lots of people who won't believe it and drive the car into the wall. See climate change.
>>
>>8760736
This is what happens when redditors are allowed here
>>
depends on other parameters.

long eliptic orbit around Jupiter or hyperbolic escape.

I'd bet that Mercury would fly away.
>>
>>8760806
No. Hidden variables implies that there isn't a random choice. The way anon described means that even if a message can be send instantaneously between two entangled particles that message is inherently random. So no instant information transfer and thus causality is preserved. You should check the quantum teleportation protocol and you will notice there is a photon transfer at the end of it to verify the correct result.
>>8760833
True. Btfo to reddit please.
>>
>>8760730
What if I put a bullet in the other envelop? That'll send a fuckin' message
>>
Gravity is just a theory

youtu.be/csULdTh7Xqs
>>
>>8760772
Anything is possible with 'magnetic ZPE' generators
>>
>>8758952

That would allow you to communicate instantaneously, so no
>>
File: hello plebbit.jpg (437KB, 1508x1493px) Image search: [Google]
hello plebbit.jpg
437KB, 1508x1493px
>>8760350
>>
File: image.jpg (356KB, 1024x1457px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
356KB, 1024x1457px
>>8760310
>speed of light...it is literally the speed that all [ALL ?] causality propagates through the universe.

Please explain sound
>pic unrelated
GoTeam Venture!
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.