[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't gums regrow?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: Periodontium Cross Section.jpg (190KB, 720x714px) Image search: [Google]
Periodontium Cross Section.jpg
190KB, 720x714px
I get that gingiva is keratinised issue, but how come it doesn't regrow? Could it be replaced using stem cell technology?

Seems pretty stupid to be a species that can't even regrow their gums.
>>
At first glance I was hoping this would be a penis, I am very disappointed.
>>
>>8757429
...Why would it be a penis on a blue board?

Sorry for not showing you the anatomy of alien penises ;_;
>>
File: 1469683502263.jpg (24KB, 418x600px) Image search: [Google]
1469683502263.jpg
24KB, 418x600px
>>8757387
what do you think about gengigel ?
>>
>>8757570
I've yet to see evidence that it can actually heal gum tissue.

The weird thing is I can't get a straight answer about gum recession. Some sources say it's caused by bone loss, but then how could it be caused overbrushing? How come a gum graft will hold without a bone graft?

I'm starting to think periodontics is pure quackery.
>>
>>8757387
because your whole body is a disposable sack of meat only meant to function long enough to safely raise the next generation.
>>
>>8757722
how do I stop it
>>
It's your diet, stupid
Lots of veggies and organ meat is the cure, search it the fuck up
>>8757722
Idk, sometimes I kinda feel like there's something between that step that's like... the actual point? Nah, get breedin
>>
>tfw too much gum
>>
>>8757750
Why would you want to?

I would suggest googling P.D. Mangan if you want to live longer, he's pretty legit, but all living longer will do is give you more time to fear death.
>>
>>8757774
>Idk, sometimes I kinda feel like there's something between that step that's like... the actual point? Nah, get breedin

i didn't make an imperative statement, but simply mentioned evolutions way of selecting for traits: our bodies possess abilities that enable us to provide for the next generation. anything beyond that, as cruel as it may be, would be a happy accident.
a caveman that loses his last tooth at 50 and can't hold a spear because of his arthritis has just as healthy offspring at age 16-20 as a hypothetical gum-regenerating one. we therefore passed these traits on.
>>
>>8757774
So you're saying that by changing your diet you can regrow 3 millimeters of gum tissue?

I'm going to need to see a study on that one.
>>
File: moderate bone loss.jpg (186KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
moderate bone loss.jpg
186KB, 1024x681px
>>8757387
I'm going to put this in simple terms for all you brainlets.

1. Gingiva does heal.
2. Gingiva will not grow beyond alveolar bone support.
3. Vertical alveolar bone loss will regenerate.
4. Horizontal alveolar bone loss from periodontitis (picture related) will not regenerate.

Unlike OP said in his/her original post, gingival regeneration is not the issue. The issue is the alveolar bone and the gingiva will move along with it. Gingivitis and later periodontitis cause alveolar bone loss, which will ultimately visually look like gum loss to a layman. However, it's all about the alveolar bone support.

t. Dentistfag
>>
>>8760437
> that pic
Makes me shiver looking at it. Poor bastard.
>>
>>8760437
wow
that guy still has so many good teeth, even with a mouth that fucked up
he hardly even has any fillings
that's fucking incredible
>>
>>8760437
do you have any sources on that I can read?
>>
>>8760479
he prolly brushes too often and not from gingiva towards the tooth apex.
>>
>>8760835
>from gingiva towards the tooth apex.
this is impossible to do.doctors should stop being retarded
>>
>>8760835
>from gingiva towards the tooth apex
surely you meant to say "at a 45 degree angle from the gingiva"
>>
>>8760463
>>8760479
This is what happens when you brush and floss, but smoke 2 packs a day.

>>8760482
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Carranzas-Clinical-Periodontology-Expert-Consult-Title-Online/0323188249/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489935814&sr=8-1&keywords=carranza

>>8760835
What. the. fuuuck?

t. >>8760437
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.