[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Polynomials and the exponential

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: third_approx.png (8KB, 262x371px) Image search: [Google]
third_approx.png
8KB, 262x371px
What can we say about the polynomial:

[math]\displaystyle p_m(z) = \sum_{k=0}^m a_kz^k [/math], where [math]p_m(i) = 2^i, \ i = 0, 1, \dots, m [/math]

What do the coefficients look like? (other than that [math]a_0 = 1 [/math])
Here are the first few:
[math]p_0(z) = 1[/math]
[math]p_1(z) = 1 + z [/math]
[math]p_2(z) = 1 + \frac{1}{2}z + \frac{1}{2}z^2 [/math]
[math]p_3(z)= 1 + \frac{5}{6}z + \frac{1}{6}z^3 [/math]
[math]p_4(z) = 1 + \frac{7}{12}z + \frac{11}{24}z^2 - \frac{1}{12}z^3 + \frac{1}{24}z^4 [/math]
>>
conjecturally a_m=1/m!
>>
>>8756790
good observation anon, though I'm not sure how to prove this, as it is difficult to see the connection between [math]p_m(z)[/math] and [math]p_{m+1}(z) [/math], if we could find that an induction would be easy.
>>
>>8756840
p_m-p_{m-1}
=(1/m!)(z)(z-1)...(z-[m-1])
>>
>>8756875
I see that, very nice, lots of desirable results come from this, including the conjecture given, and:

[math]a_1 = (-1)^{m-1}m! H_m [/math] where H_m is the mth harmonic number

generally though

[math]a_k = (-1)^{m-k} m! sum_{p \in C_k} \frac{1}{p}, C_k = \{b_1 b_2 \dots b_k : \forall i. b_i \in \mathbb{Z}_m \} [/math]

and it looks like that sum would not have a closed form
>>
>>8756932
I mean:

[math]\displaystyle a_k = (-1)^{m-k} m! \sum_{p \in C_k} \frac{1}{p}, \ C_k = \{b_1 b_2 \dots b_k | (\forall i) \ b_i \in \mathbb{Z}_m \} [/math]
>>
>>8756875
Also we can make this into a second order recurrence, making it:

[math]p_{m+1}(z) = \frac{z}{m} p_m(z) + \left(\frac{z}{m} - 1 \right)p_{m-1}(z) [/math]
>>
>>8756948
I made a mistake, it should be:

[math]p_{m+1}(z) = \frac{z+1}{m+1}p_m(z) + \frac{z-m}{m+1} p_{m-1}(z) [/math]

but anyway the generating function:
[math]P(x) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} p_n(z) x^n [/math]
satisfies the following first order differential equation:
[math]P'(x) = \frac{(z+1) + x(z-1)}{1 + x^2}P(x) [/math]
which should satisfy the equation:
[math]P(x,z) = (1+x^2)^{\frac{z-1}{2}} e^{(z+1)tan^{-1}x} [/math]
I will double check these later
>>
Building on >>8756875, the first point to emphasize point is probably that in

[math] p_m(i) = 2^i [/math]

the left hand side is such that it doesn't depend on m.
More abstractly, given functions f, g and h with a rule for an evaluation at v given as
f(v) = h(v)
g(v) = h(v)
you have
f(v) - g(v) = 0
i.e. the function
f-g
has a zero at v.
Thus it results that the different [math] p_{m+1} - p_m [/math] is forced to have all zeroes at, in your example, the integers and so
[math] p_{m+1} - p_m = c \prod_{j=0}^{m-1} (z-j) [/math]

That all wouldn't work if it was something like [math] p_m(i) = 2^i + 3m [/math].
And the fact that you evaluate at integers isn't particularly crucial, you'd just have a difference rule that's a product over the whatever evaluation points.

Now I think the necessety of 1/m!, the factor leading to 2^i is explained as follows
[math]\prod_{j=0}^{m-1}(z-j) [/math]
evaluated at z=i, being m+k for some m (so that the smallest factor is k+1) is just (m+k)!/k!. So dividing it by m! leaves you with i over m. The recusion then summs over m and the sum of those binomial coefficients is (1+1)^i = 2^i.

In pic related I've added, for the lulz, some coefficients to the recurrence relation to see what happens if you don't set the to 1.
>>
>>8757050
>being m+k for some m (so that the smallest factor is k+1) is just (m+k)!/k!. So dividing it by m! leaves you with i over m. The recusion then summs over m and the sum of those binomial coefficients is (1+1)^i = 2^i.
I was wondering why it was specific to 2^i, nice explanation anon
>>
>>8757068
I wrote it down more explicitly

So the recurrence is

[math] p_{m+1} = p_m + c(m) \prod_{j=0}^{m-1}(z-j) [/math]

and we wonder what [math] c(m) [/math] has to be so that for any m,

[math] p_m (i) = 2^i[/math].

Since to evaluate p_m we must unpack all p_{m-1}, p_{m-2}, etc. this just amounts to saying that the sum over those strange Vieta products is 2^i

For z=i, which for any of the m's in the sum we may write as i=m+k for some k, the product is a product of integers that starts at k+1 and ends at i. This can be written as i!/k!.

We have
[math] (a+b)^i = \sum_{m=0}^{i} \frac{1}{m!}\frac{i!}{(i-m)!} a^{i-m}b^m [/math].
so
[math] 2^i = \sum_{m=0}^{i} \frac{1}{m!}\frac{i!}{(i-m)!} [/math].

As i-m = k, we see we must insert 1/m!
>>
Oh, and I realize this makes the generalization to

[math] p_m(i) = a^i[/math]

evident.

Instead of summing

[math] \sum_{m=0}^i \frac{1}{m!} \frac{i}{(i-m)} 1^m 1^{i-k} = (1+1)^i = 2^i [/math]

sum

[math] \sum_{m=0}^i \frac{1}{m!} \frac{i}{(i-m)} (a-1)^m 1^{i-k} = (a-1+1)^i = a^i [/math]

I.e. choose

[math] c(m) = \frac{1}{m!} (a-1)^m [/math]

for any a, not just a=2.

It works, pic related
>>
(forgot some exclamation marks)
>>
>>8757101
>>8757134
nice, take my (You)s
>>
>>8757408
Thx. I had worked on it more

So the [math] p_m(z) [/math] with [math] p_m(i) = a^i [/math] are

[math] p_m(z) = \sum_k^{m} \frac {1}{k!} (a-1)^k \prod_{j=0}^{k-1} (z-j) [/math]

and Mathematica says this is also

[math] p_m(z) = a^z - \frac {1}{(m+1)!} (a-1)^{m+1} \dfrac{ \Gamma (z+1)}{\Gamma (z-m)}{}_2\tilde{F}_1(1,m-z+1,m+2;1-a) [/math]

with F given by the the hypergeometric series
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypergeometric_function#The_hypergeometric_series

So really

[math] p_m(z) = a^z + R(z) [/math]

and R(z) has gammas of -m in the nominator which kills this rest at all integers. And btw. the limit m to infinity.

And the limit m to infinity indeed just gives

[math] p_\infty(z) = \sum_k^{\infty} \frac {1}{k!} (a-1)^k \prod_{j=0}^{k-1} (z-j) = a^z [/math]

see the expansion in my pic.

Btw. I had been playing with polynomial approximations to exponential functions at various ends, although very different ones. My note on them are here

https://axiomsofchoice.org/finite_exponential_power

These notes may also be of interest
https://axiomsofchoice.org/generalized_hypergeometric_function?s[]=hypergeometric&s[]=series
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.