[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Computer Science is for brainlets they said...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

>>
>>8756240
The number is false
>>
>>8756245
They said CS is for low IQ plebs that just want jobs at Google/Facebook/Amazon.

They said CS is for brainlets that want to do webdev.
>>
>>8756245
answer is 42
>>
>>8757013
k
>>
>using whiteboards to lecture

i seriously, seriously hope you guys don't do this
>>
>>8757195
what else would you do?
>>
>>8756260
its usually plug and chug applied """"math"""" students who claim this, they can have fun finding the tangent cock that best approximates their anus while theoretical CS students study the foundations and depths of logic and language (and hence that of mathematics itself)
>>
>>8756240
>>8757417
meant to quote this post
>>
File: 1489806897277.jpg (51KB, 620x775px)
1489806897277.jpg
51KB, 620x775px
>>8757423
>>8757417
KEK, 10/10. Truth has been spoken.
>>
>>8756260
>plebs
>Google/Facebook/Amazon

Pretty sure anyone at those companies is far more successful (and ,probably more intelligent) than the average /sci/ poster.
>>
>>8757504
True
>>
>>8757504
>Pretty sure anyone at those companies is far more successful (and ,probably more intelligent) than the average /sci/ poster.
You might be surprised.
>>
>>8757504
Hence why /sci/ resents them.
>>
>>8757013
This is literally the most overused trash meme at my CS department.
>>
>>8756240
It is, anon.
>>
>>8757417
>theoretical CS students
Read: Mathematicians
>>
A little off-topic here, but is there someone in CS that worked/ is working with CFD?
>>
>>8757504
As a sci poster, and Google engineer, I can tell you that I don't fucking know if this is true or not. All I know is that Google employees don't suck, on average. As long as you do everything that's expected of you, you're safe. Some people are fired for not meeting performance goals, but most either improve after their first warning or some change role (programmer to project manager).
>>
>>8756240
It's possible to make anything look complicated with sufficiently bad handwriting.
>>
>>8758879
You're a brainlet that doesn't understand what's written on the board
>>
>>8758888
His handwriting is fine.
>>
>>8758888
This
>>8756260
And even counting looks complicated when you replace integers with multiples of euler's identity.
>>
>>8758894
You're right. Can't fucking read it.
>>
>>8756240
CS was tailor made for brainlets, anon. Enjoy having no job and getting systematically outhired by Software Engineers who put in half the work :^)
>>
>>8756260

Woah! Watch out folks- he's using [math]\Gamma[/math] instead of [math]G[/math]! It must be really hard stuff what he's doing!!
>>
>>8759404
Decipher what he is saying and I might listen to you. Otherwise you're another brainlet
>>
>>8758885

Relatively new Googler here. My plan isn't to suck, but, according to some friends of mine who have been with the company for a few years, it's near impossible to be fired for purely performance-related reasons.
>>
>>8759572
I wonder how promotions work at google. At my company it was purely political.

Also how did you prep for passing your interview? My plan is to be able to do most leetcode problems. Any advice?

I'm digging through CLRS and ensuring I understand everything I touch rigorously
>>
>>8759576

>promotions

I don't know much, but there are 7 main 'levels' as a Googler, with most people starting at L3. L5 is considered the 'terminal' point, and L6/L7 are primarily leadership positions. Pay and level are relatively orthogonal: you receive a raise each year which reflects your performance.

I suspect that the promotion process will be somewhat political, though they do have mechanisms in place to try to reward actual performance. I personally will be gaming this, as I am among a severely underrepresented group within both the company and my specific role.

>prep

I honestly didn't do too much to prep, which was probably dumb on my part. I did a few practice questions on topcoder and career cup, but I didn't do much more than that. I would suggest practicing regularly: my habits are not to be emulated. I have a very poor ability to judge how much I should or I should not prepare for things.
>>
>>8759613
How did you do on the interviews? What was the layout like? How many did you have to go through? Mine was something like 5 interviews (not at Google), I don't really remember how many were technical vs non-tech. Maybe 1 really technical 1 and others meeting with different managers/tech leads
>>
>>8759613
Also, remember any of the questions you got?
>>
>>8759652

I skipped the phone interview phase; I had 4 in-person interviews in one day, followed by 2 in-person interviews on another day.

The interviews were all technical, though they were more about things like problem solving, debugging, and optimization as opposed to things like knowledge of a language. I feel like I did very well on all of them except for one: I know it sounds like an excuse, but, from my end, the guy did a terrible job of asking his question; to this day, I have no idea what he was actually asking me. I'm sure he thought I was equally clueless.
>>
>>8759659
Gotcha. Thanks.
>>
>>8759659
>to this day, I have no idea what he was actually asking me
I'm sure it was intentional
to see how you react under pressure in a situation where you can not possibly give a "correct" answer
>>
>>8759658

I can't really disclose the specific problems, but, from memory, the topics involved were...

1. Problem related to sorting and searching
2. Dynamic programming
3. Interval trees (I think this is what the guy was getting at)
4. Fundamental data structures/algorithms (hashing) + constant-level optimization [not asymptotic]
5. Generic n-ary tree traversal problem
6. Implementation of games/automata; a problem in graph theory
>>
>>8759670

That's certainly plausible!
>>
>>8759673
Sounds like topics covered in a standard Discrete Math + Data Structures + Algorithms course with some beneficial knowledge in Computational Complexity. Thanks for the response.
>>
>>8759689

No problem! I'd also suggest having some general systems knowledge as well. You might be asked to explore/derive some aspects of e.g. external sorting; knowledge of memory space management can also help you to answer some of the more involved optimization questions.
>>
>>8759719
Sweet, will add this to my studies.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.