[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fukushima Radiation Leak

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

I was thinking about coming up with a way to remove radiation from the ocean without causing desalination.

Reverse osmosis seems to be one of the most efficient ways to remove radiation but this will also desalinate the water, I'm no expert but would there be a way to make some sort of barge or other form of large ship that can pump the water through a reverse osmosis system and resalinate the water before returning it to the ocean?

I'm also wondering what other kinds of essential nutrients or molecules would be removed from the ocean water that would need to be returned.

Would the salt retain the radiation? How could we remove radiation from the salt?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
>>
I don't know much about the subject, but could anything be done to disperse the water and dilute it more? (tons of boats with giant nets/pumps?)
>>
We could just bioengineer algae and microbes to eat all the waste and then let the whales eat the algae.

Then when the whales die from radiation poisoning, it's all contained and concentrated in their dead bodies at the bottom of the ocean. Or if they're lucky, they don't get poisoning, and everything's cool all around.
>>
>>8751537
Good thought I was also thinking something along those lines too but also, it would just mean lower radiation levels across a larger body of water meaning more sea life being effected by it.

I'm not entirely sure if spreading it out would necessarily be beneficial
>>
>>8751554
That's actually another really good thought.

Bioengineer algae and microbes to be able to process radioactive minerals from sea water, while not becoming radioactive themselves.

That would require serious testing though in order to prevent the possibility of mass sea life extinction, in case the algae or microbes flourish.
>>
>>8751567
Flourish while retaining radioactivity*
>>
>>8751298
>remove radiation from the ocean

Salt water already naturally contains significant levels of radioisotopes, and water is a very effective radiation shielding material.

There is literally no reason why we would need to clean radioisotopes out of the ocean. In fact if we took all waste uranium and other elements from all nuclear reactors in the world and reacted it with chlorine to form slats and then dissolved those salts into the ocean, it would not significantly increase the ocean water's radioactivity. That's of course as long as it was properly diluted, which we could accomplish by releasing it into the deep ocean and allow it to mix for a long time before rising to the surface.
>>
>>8751573
Yes you're correct about that but the unnatural and extreme levels of radioactive cesium being released into the Pacific ocean by the Fukushima leak is already causing a large amount of ocean life to be inedible. If it reaches the western coast of the Americas, the effect on sea life globally will be catastrophic
>>
>>8751589
No, it's not. Where are you getting this nonsense?
>>
>>8751630
Straight from Japanese farmers and fishermen
>>
>>8751630
He's right. In a way. Doesn't the plankton they eat contain more radiation because I remember something about plankton containing significant doses. That's why a lot of fish were washing up with their eyes popped out, and some whales, which i assume ate those fish
>>
>>8751573
>releasing radioactive materials into the deep ocean
>>8751589
>contamination not leaving the coastal shelf at risk of being concentrated by sea life

>>8751589
>If it reaches the western coast of the Americas

this is very very unlikely, virtually impossible
>>
>>8752181
The radiation reaching the coast of the Americas is predicted to happen in six years if the leak is not fixed by a German marine research team simulation
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.