[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is anyone working to prevent this from happening?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: asteroid.jpg (2MB, 2048x1150px) Image search: [Google]
asteroid.jpg
2MB, 2048x1150px
I don't mean just looking for it and seeing it before it smashes us. I'm talking about stopping it after we find it. You want to talk about climate change? This would change the climate in a big fast hurry.
Enlighten me /sci/, give me hope that someone is on this. Thanks.

Also please share any strategies you think could potentially stop something like this from happening. It's just a matter of time before it happens.
>>
File: 1487308567421.jpg (99KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1487308567421.jpg
99KB, 640x640px
Why would you want to stop something like this? This planet is long overdue for an extinction event
>>
There is not much we can do.

That's why we want Mars colonies, at least then not all of humanity will be wiped out
>>
>>8749654
So we choose to take a defeatist approach? Great.

>>8749653
Nice to know someone is always looking for a silver lining...
>>
>>8749643
There's been discussion of hypothetical ways to stop an asteroid, I believe there was actually an interesting test where they straight up crashed a satellite into a comet to see the effects and more of the internal structure.

The best general way is just to fund more space stuff, better technology will lead to more options if it ever occurs.
>>
>>8749643
Fill a giant balloon with water.

The meteor will freeze in time.
>>
>>8749664
I hope so. It would be a shame if we spent all that money and effort on building our nuclear arsenals, just to get wiped out by some stupid asteroid!

>>8749653 the silver lining must be rubbing off...HA!
>>
>>8749666
I don't quite follow your logic Satan. Please elaborate?
>>
>>8749670
The balloon will burst and reverse momentum from the meteor. It stops moving
>>
Nasa has a planetary defense office with asteroid detection

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4816
>>
NASA has formalized its ongoing program for detecting and tracking near-Earth objects (NEOs) as the Planetary Defense Coordination Office (PDCO). The office remains within NASA's Planetary Science Division, in the agency's Science Mission Directorate in Washington. The office will be responsible for supervision of all NASA-funded projects to find and characterize asteroids and comets that pass near Earth's orbit around the sun. It will also take a leading role in coordinating interagency and intergovernmental efforts in response to any potential impact threats.

More than 13,500 near-Earth objects of all sizes have been discovered to date -- more than 95 percent of them since NASA-funded surveys began in 1998. About 1,500 NEOs are now detected each year.

"Asteroid detection, tracking and defense of our planet is something that NASA, its interagency partners, and the global community take very seriously," said John Grunsfeld, associate administrator for NASA's Science Mission Directorate in Washington. "While there are no known impact threats at this time, the 2013 Chelyabinsk super-fireball and the recent 'Halloween Asteroid' close approach remind us of why we need to remain vigilant and keep our eyes to the sky."

NASA has been engaged in worldwide planning for planetary defense for some time, and this office will improve and expand on those efforts, working with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and other federal agencies and departments.

In addition to detecting and tracking potentially hazardous objects, the office will issue notices of close passes and warnings of any detected potential impacts, based on credible science data. The office also will continue to assist with coordination across the U.S. government, participating in the planning for response to an actual impact threat, working in conjunction with FEMA, the Department of Defense, other U.S. agencies and international counterparts.
>>
There is no defense against something the size of your picture. We could hit it with the entire world's nuclear arsenal and jigawatt laser beams for years and we'd barely make a dent, and then it would still collide with the earth.

The only way to stop something that big is to begin affecting its trajectory decades before we are even 100% certain it will hit the planet. And there ain't no political capital to "potentially" save everyone on earth.

I'm sure most politicians will just tell themselves that god won't let it happen and go along their merry way until the end.
>>
NASA Asteroid Redirect Mission

NASA+ESA(if they secure funding) Asteroid Impact Mission

https://sophia.estec.esa.int/gtoc_portal/?page_id=13
>>
>rogue planet is found to be on collision course with the Earth
>keep in mind it's been named Remina

Wat do
>>
>>8749653
stay being a pessimistic cuck
>>
>>8749643
Operation Moloch
We rip out as many resources from our planet as possible.
Feed it to a giga sized underground laser and fire it at the fucking rock.

Operation Gaia Thunder
We launch as many space nukes as possible at it.

Operation Graviga Shield
We curve the thing around us

Operation FUCK YOUR SHIT
We use everything in one massive organised plan.

Operation Funnel.
We channel the sun into it.

Operation Shield Wall
Bunkers...
Lots of bunkers.
>>
>>8749694
>there are no known impact threats at this time
so obviously there is no problem
>>
>>8749643
the work that planetary resources is doing would make preventing this possible
>>
File: nasa-vs-phone_o_654487.jpg (94KB, 500x713px) Image search: [Google]
nasa-vs-phone_o_654487.jpg
94KB, 500x713px
1: How many dedicated orbital observatories are there to detect these things?
2: How many dedicated Main Asteroid Belt observatories are there?
3: How many dedicated Kuiper Belt observatories are there?
4: How many built, tested, working, and ready programs are there to actually do this?

Go ahead, someone tell me the answers.
>>
>>8749654
Does Matt Damon and his band of Martians carry on eating poo and living on Mars or do they come back to earth and repopulate after the dust settles?

>>8749694
>>8749967
>>8750349
Programs like that are unsustainable because of course "funding". Taxing people to fix the climate is one thing, taxing them for potential impacts from asteroids another. It would be a great day job, staring off into space all day and getting paid for it but nearly as lucrative as staring off into the atmosphere all day and getting paid for it.
>>
File: b79ebb827f2d3e8a6c2c268042ae5aaa.jpg (144KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
b79ebb827f2d3e8a6c2c268042ae5aaa.jpg
144KB, 1920x1080px
>>8750409
>he thinks people would be doing that job
>>
>>8750349
do we really need orbital observatories?

there are a large number of ground telescopes that have been working at this for a while, and probably a great fraction of the large objects that could do serious harm to human civilization have been detected.

Is it perfect? no, but we are working at it
>>
send some oil rig workers to plant a nuke in it like Armageddon
>>
>>8749653
Because we still haven't answered the big question so rage quiting like a pussy is no way to beat the game.
>>
http://www.deepspace.ucsb.edu/projects/directed-energy-planetary-defense

we've got plans
>>
>>8750464
Wew lad, programs like that are enormous cash cows and someone is collecting the paychecks regardless if any detection is being done regardless if sensors or eyeballs are working it.

You could install massive space radar arrays but they run on electricity right!? Is it even worth it? Maybe some "green" enviro friendly high orbit satellites running on solar panels?

In the end, if some huge asteroid was heading towards earth not much could be done and there wouldn't even be a point startling the herd with foreknowledge, pointless really. It's all entertainment and sort of related I liked Melancholia, good flick.
>>
>>8750845
If a huge asteroid is headed toward earth, we could launch a bunch of nukes at it and orion drive it
>>
>>8750845
You can do it in Java on a fucking smartphone. Just hire an indie dev. What year do you think this is?
>>
>>8750845
Most satellites run off solar and/or RTG.
>>
>>8749643
The B612 foundation
>>8750409
Detecting 90% of asteroids larger than the one that caused the tunguska event would not be very expensive.

Estimated cost for such a mission is $450 million, which is about 4.5 times the budget of the Martian.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentinel_Space_Telescope
>>
We do have a lot of counter-meteor protocols though, one is literally just to have something travel alongside it in order to slightly effect its course via gravity and miss us. Plain, simple, effective. It counts on us seeing it a good amount ahead of time though.
>>
>>8750899
That would be a thousand times worse, because now we have the same amount of mass coming to hit us but it's a lot of smaller meteors that can hit in multiple different places at different times now instead of just one target. And no it's not just going to burn up in the atmosphere.
>>
>>8749653
im okay with dying as long as m family dies as well, all of them, i don't want to them to feel sad
>>
>>8751819
Except thats totally wrong.. because its like shooting someone with birdshot or with a slug

Obviously birdshot doesn't do shit
>>
>>8750845
>detecting potential impactors with radar
top kek
>>
>>8749643
If it's that large we can't do shit
unless we know about it far ahead, but that's the size of a moon, and it's highly unlikely that we will ever collide with something like that the next few hundred million years.
Changing the course of a asteroid is pretty damn simple if you got some prep time, the big problem is noticing it in time.
>>
>>8750123
You're american, aren't you?
>>
>>8749643
>anyone working to prevent this
...in one word, no.
>>
>>8750349
>someone spoon-feed me
Lrn2google fgt pls
>>
>>8750505
>a large number of ground telescopes
L0Lno fgt pls
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.