[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mathematical modeling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: Sketch.png (8KB, 768x480px) Image search: [Google]
Sketch.png
8KB, 768x480px
Sup /sci/ - engineer-fag here, I need some help here

I need to come up with a mathetical model I can cram into mapple for a wonky little shape here

I just can't figure out how I'm supposed to do this.

its basically for a squished circle that has partially flattened out on the ground.

the top half is an ellipse 0.8 meters high, 2.25 meters to either side.

The bottom half is mainly a long flat stretch with circular ends that meet with the ellipse, radius 1 meter.

I need a mathematical model for this.

I know the model for a circle is (x-h)^2+(y-v)^2=r, with h and v being the horizontal and vertical center point coordinates.

For an ellipse its (x^2)/H + (y^2)/V=1, assuming its centered at (0,0)

how the fuck do I split that up I can model the thing in pic related?
>>
homeworks goes in >>>/hm/
>>
>>8746989
I think I'll pass on that - this board has "math" in the title, I'll stick to that
>>
File: image.png (97KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
97KB, 640x1136px
>>8746984
Use two functions.

First, use an even degree polynomial to model the bottom
Then use an ellipse to model the top

Pic related.
>>
>>8747002

that is a great idea anon - however, I need a single formula for this thing, for a larger equation

its work related
>gotta figure out how much a tube shaped like is being strained when its filled with water
>formula to to calculate that requires a formula for the shape of the 'shell'

the formula is

T/P(0.8) = ([1+(Y´)^2]^3/2)/Y´´

and Y would be the formula for the shell, P(x) is the water pressure in the tube at depth x, which is a known value, and T is the tensile force which I need to find, because that's needed to spec the thickness of the plastic that the tube is to be made out of.
>>
>>8747011
Chances are you arnt going to get a closed form solution to that anyway with some complicated shape, so you will have to do it numerically anyway, so theres no reason to not use piece wise defined function for the shape like >>8747002.
>>
>>8747011
Well, I can tell you that there is no formula for your shape. It is not a simple shape. You have to define it with various functions.

You will have to find a way to work around this.
>>
>>8747011
Do a parametric curve. You can create almost any shape parametrically
>>
You may be able to find one in polar coordinates.
>>
OP here

thanks for the feedback

It saddens me that no simple solution is possible - there are just too damn many variables in this

This was for development of an XBOX-HUEG tube for making temporary coffer dams - for flood protection, or if you need to cut a river in half or something

Oh well, I'll have to find another solution
>>
>>8747075
Try a polynomial regression on polar coordinates.
>>
>>8747075
Why not just use some of the water? Like divert it to Six Flags or let people drink it or water a farm or something?

Damn, engineers sure are dumb.
>>
File: 56457.png (138KB, 500x555px) Image search: [Google]
56457.png
138KB, 500x555px
>>8746989
How women can even compete jesus christ
>>
>>8747011

Make the shape in paint, then anyaliticly measure the distance to the rim of the shape. Use regression to find the polar equation.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.