[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do public schools directly cause people to be uninterested in STEM?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: sigma.jpg (139KB, 1240x775px) Image search: [Google]
sigma.jpg
139KB, 1240x775px
Do public schools directly cause people to be uninterested in STEM?
>>
Any school that calls lateral numbers "imaginary numbers" is literally worthless for teaching math at the very least.
>>
They don't help, but even at the most elite private institutions, you'll see rich brainlets who have been in private school since pre-kindergarten struggle with STEM because they are simply dumb.
>>
>>8746102

Depends on your public school.

>ghetto school in south central LA with 95% hispanics/blacks: yes
>college-track public school in upper-class neighborhood, with full assortment of AP classes and extracurriculars, as well as rich parents donating tax credit dollars: probably not
>>
>>8746108
>thinking the naming matters and not understanding at a conceptual level

kys my man
>>
Depends on the teacher. In middle school are tech/math/science teachers were amazing, and pretty much everybody took an elective in one of the subjects. Turns out the high school teachers were terrible and counting down the days to retire, so very few people returned to the program the next year.
>>
Due to how much math has been pushed off to the side and watered down over the years, I'd have to say yes. The only real way you can learn math in public schools is by being in the highest form of math throughout all of school. Physics can be watered down for some schools in response to the math curriculum.

>>8746108
Public schools must've really failed you.
>>
Every day I have the same dream. It is me teaching a high school class and introducing complex numbers. It involves a dumb kid and me

Dumb kid: Complex numbers are so dumb. When am I going to use this in real life?

Me: Oh, you want a real life application of complex numbers? Here's one you little faggot. Prove the Riemann Hypothesis by tomorrow or I will kill your entire family. How's that for practical?
>>
>>8746102
My rural highschool did. I tried to sign up for physic in highschool and the counselor talked me out of it. That and i was always ahead of the entire class in math from grades 1-7, but no one ever bothered putting me into a higher math class. I remember grade school teachers just making up bullshit assignments for me to do to kill time so they didn't have to find anything harder for me to do. Or they would just have me read a book.
>>
I was in a private school and they still do a shitty job. HS teachers are just shit.
>>
>>8746125
kek
>>
>>8746108
We are talking about children. The way it's introduced linguistically matters a lot.
>>
>>8746102
>100000 Nuclear Engineers Running Around.

Nah senpai.... Nah...
>>
File: ld.gif (823KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
ld.gif
823KB, 200x200px
>>8746125
>Prove the Riemann Hypothesis by tomorrow or I will kill your entire family
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.