[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Interesting question on neurology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_5960.jpg (26KB, 220x291px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5960.jpg
26KB, 220x291px
Is there really an unchangeable intelligence gap between students in Harvard, Princeton, Yale, elite schools and those in average state schools? Like if I were to try to groom a student performing average in a normal state high school to get into let's say Cambridge, would it be possible or would it always fail 10/10 times because there simply is an invisible wall of intellect in his genetics that prevents him from performing the feat?

Tl;dr Are people born academically successful or can it be compensated with intense grooming and self discipline for an average individual?
>>
People in good schools are obedient, mindless sheep who studied and did their homework. What intelligence are you referring to?
>>
>>8745055
Strength of short term/long term memory, problem solving, creativity, critical thinking.
>>
>>8745040
Because we have not established the relationship between intelligence and genetics, there is simply no answer to your question. For example, I know somebody will post that 'SAT scores by race and income' chart, but that still doesn't separate race from culture.

All discussion past this point is useless speculation.
>>
>>8745063
Strength of memory I guess. Getting a 4.0 in high school involves zero creativity, zero problem solving, zero critical thinking. It requires a lot of obedience.
>>
>>8745040
It's not so much intelligence rather than they're farther ahead. Ex: Math majors in Princeton start off in junior courses (graduate courses at shitty schools) in their freshman year. They are made for kids who's parents are mathematicians and have mentored them or similar.
>>
>>8745040
>Is there really an unchangeable intelligence gap between students in Harvard, Princeton, Yale, elite schools and those in average state schools?
Yes, on average. In theory the SAT is an IQ proxy and your score can't really be improved that much with repeated practice. I'm not sure if this is true any more.
>>
>>8745073
But getting into an elite school requires more then a 4.0.
>>
>>8745055
People in good schools were simply intelligent enough to know that it's easier to get what you want in life if you keep your head down while you're young in exchange for more independence when you're older and successful.
>>
>>8745137

If you think that attending a "top school" is going to make you successful you are in for the world's worst midlife crisis.
>>
>>8745157
It certainly heightens your chances of finding success in the sciences, yes. If you go to a good college and do a good job, you're more likely to get into a good grad program, and do high-impact research at a productive lab.

Why does this idea rub so many people the wrong way?
>>
>>8745079
IQ is actually a really bad measure of intellect. I mean it's just a test on how you figure out patterns in obscure pictures. They don't take in your memorization ability, which some people claim to have photographic memory, and even your level of critical thinking, where is in the case of many scientists who are able to crack the code by thinking really out of the box with respect to hypotheses so they know where to look in experiments. To be honest, there isn't a lot of use of IQ other than to see whether you're retarded or normal, I believe someone's IQ can be raised, by just repeatedly setting IQ tests for the person and reviewing, because by doing so, our brain is able to make more relevant connections where signals fire through shorter routes, thereby you're able to produce answers faster and more accurately. I don't think that intellect is fixed, just a matter of different people having different starting lines, which is why we have people failing high school at the start despite studying very hard and ending up doing relatively well in Ph.D. programmes in prestigious universities.
>>
>>8746449

I think of MENSA like color blindness tests.....

some people see one thing and some see another and it doesnt really matter.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.