[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Random selection is still natural selection right? Just that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Darwin.jpg (121KB, 564x751px) Image search: [Google]
Darwin.jpg
121KB, 564x751px
Random selection is still natural selection right? Just that it doesn't necessarily (but potentially) lead to adaptation doesn't mean it is not natural selection. Am I wrong?

Think of rare events impacting the gene pool.
>>
>>8742300
>(but potentially)
Here I meant to say NOT that it potentially leads to adaptation but rather mean that it potentially could select for certain traits - by accident.
>>
You're thinking of something called genetic drift, which is the passing of alleles down to the next generation by pure chance as opposed to being beneficial in the environment and organism lives.

Evolution is a combination of many forces, of which natural selection and drift are amongst them.
>>
>>8742300
Natural selection specifically refers to non-random selection via survival in nature. Random selection doesn't really make sense, since random would imply nothing is being selected at all. Rare events causing certain phenotypes to be selected would still be natural selection and non-random.
>>
>>8742384
No that is not it. I'll try explaining it better. A few individuals are removed (they die) from the population. They do not die because they are worse at surviving but because of a chance event where you cannot select for.

Is this still natural selection yes or no?

The only difficulty with my reasoning I see is that some chance events could have something that is selected for. A viral outbreak is not a random selector.

Are accidents random selectors? Maybe if they are rare enough they are.

I hope I communicated what I mean better now.
>>
>>8742412
Setuping a killing machine, which will works on pseudorandom function in computers, seeing how fucking unrandom and unnatural will all that be.
>>
>>8742412
This is more the answer I was looking for. Thank you.
>>
>>8742425
So some individuals just being killed for being in the wrong place at the wrong time with no prior warning or indication.

I would say not, it seems similar to a genetic bottleneck/founder effect. But I am not sure if there is a phrase for this kind of thing.

>implying being lucky isn't a selected trait
>>
Well if random is part of nature then yes. Random selection tests robustness of genes.
>>
>>8742427
That would be artificial, and depending on its actual method of killing, nonrandom.
>>
>>8742434
>So some individuals just being killed for being in the wrong place at the wrong time with no prior warning or indication.
Yes that is what I mean but I am unsure if there really is not something that is selected for.

A drought might be accidental and rare, but it seems likely that some traits make you better at surviving it.

I can't think of such a "wrong place at the wrong time" event. Maybe a lightning strike.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.