[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gender differences in Education

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 12

A PISA Perspective.

Education systems have made major strides to close gender gaps in student performance but new challenges are opening.

>Of the weakest students in the 3 core subjects PISA assesses (Reading literacy, Mathematical literacy and Science literacy), six out of ten are boys.
>At the same time, girls struggle when they are asked to think like scientist and apply what they have learned in school
>Boys do less homework that girls
>Boys play more videogames
>Boys rarely read in their spare time
>Girls still lack confidence in their own abilities in math
>Parents are less likely to expect their daughters to pursue mathemathics related careers
>Young men are significantly more likely than young women to be less engaged with school and have low skills and poor academic achievement
>They are also more likely to leave school early, often with no qualifications
>Boys are more likely than girls to report that school is a waste of time
>In higher education and beyond, young women are under-represented in the fields of mathematics, physical science and computing

When girls and boys, men and women, can fulfill their potential they can contribute more to the economic growth and well-being of their societies later on.
>>
File: PISA_Snapshot.gif (173KB, 1160x1910px) Image search: [Google]
PISA_Snapshot.gif
173KB, 1160x1910px
>>8740761
The data presented on this thread are based mainly on PISA 2015 data unless mentioned otherwise.

Here is more information regarding the PISA international large scale assessment:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wbl-PflEc0
www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZjxkDA1s-c
www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xpOn0OzXEw
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiczDPx96ac
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdMN8ioUYGc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1I9tuScLUA
www.nier.go.jp/kokusai/pisa/video/How_does_PISA_work_640x360.mp4
all4ed.org/debunking-seven-myths-about-pisa/
www.oecd.org/pisa/pisafaq/
www.oecd.org/pisa/data/
>>
>>8740761
>>
File: figure_r3a.gif (41KB, 778x1114px) Image search: [Google]
figure_r3a.gif
41KB, 778x1114px
>>8740775
>>
File: figure_m3a.gif (40KB, 778x1156px) Image search: [Google]
figure_m3a.gif
40KB, 778x1156px
>>8740777
>>
File: figure_s3a.gif (40KB, 778x1152px) Image search: [Google]
figure_s3a.gif
40KB, 778x1152px
>>8740781
>>
File: nhlNiE2.jpg (96KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
nhlNiE2.jpg
96KB, 640x640px
>>8740777
wtf I'm with her now
>>
>>8740775
If you see the differences among countries, including many high performing countries, boys are doing slightly better than girls in general, except for Finland where girls are outperforming boys
>>
>>8740810
But it is also important to see the share of boys and girls among different levels of proficiency, if you look at low performance, there are more boys at the lower end of the distribution
>>
>>8740818
And also, if you look the high performance in science, you can see that the share of boys is bigger at the high end of the distribution
>>
>>8740824
and again the exception is Finland
>>
>>8740761
Hey OP, very interesting data. I'm wondering how genders other than boy/girl stack up?
>>
>>8740761
Men have the option of physical labor, that's what most of the boys who leave school early end up doing between unemployment
>>
>>8740848
Aids/Homelessness/Substance Abuse/Murdered
>>
>>8740848
>The PISA test is designed with the aim of providing an assessment of performance at the SYSTEM (or COUNTRY) LEVEL. It is not designed to produce individual student scores, PISA adopts an efficient design in which the full set of test material is distributed among 13 different test booklets, which are randomly assigned to the randomly sampled students who participate in the test.

In order to to produce reliable estimates representative and meaningful between different sectors of the population besides the system or country level the countries/economies participating in PISA have to oversample those smaller sectors of the population, for example in 2012 there was a separate estimate for Connecticut, Florida and Massachusetts besides the one reported for the United States and in 2015 for Puerto Rico, North Carolina and Massachusetts, in 2003, 2006, 2009 and 2012 the Mexican goverment oversample their 32 federal entities and therefore we have reliable estimates for all Mexican states from PISA 2003 to 2012, other countries interested in results from their jurisdictions include Australia, Belgium, Canada, U.A.E., U.K. and Spain, and then for example Australia also has had a sufficiently large sample of Australia’s Indigenous students, israel for Hebrew and Arabic speakers, Estonia for Estonian and Russian speakers and so on, and to date there has been never a country/economy that oversample genders other than boy/girl so I'm afraid that we do not have reliable estimates for them
>>
>>8740826
>>
>>8740761

Wow, men and women function differently! Thanks for the enlightenment OP!
>>
I'd like to learn about differences in men and women's thinking but resources on the topic seem to be scarce. Any recommendations?
>>
>>8740761
yeah, funny how there's no drive to push boys' reading/literacy improvements but there's constant bullshit funded for girls in science/math.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.